Monday, January 2, 2012

High Fiber—Happy Holidays, Part Two

I hope everyone had a wonderful Holiday! I did! A few of us also had a birthday. This was my birthday haul:



Not in the photo are a gift card from Barnes and Noble, a bud vase that looks like knitting and a share in a  Knitters Gift Basket from Heifer International. It includes a llama, an alpaca, a sheep and an angora rabbit. What a great gift! There is also another card that got passed around and laughed over. I couldn't locate it for the photo, but when I find it, I'll show you. One of the cards speaks of cave birthday greetings in my handwriting, from DS2 and his DW. They wrote in something about still looking for the fossil evidence! Ha-ha!

In the photo are two bumps of spinning fiber, a hand-woven distaff for spinning, a handmade row counter (already in use) a video "Pure Country 2," the eBook version of the Yarn Harlot's latest book and a gorgeous hand-knit cowl, which I've also been using. 

We went to No Worries for breakfast with my friend Joanie. Later we went to Silver Sneakers, our exercise class, and DS2 and DDIL2 walked on the track. It's wonderful to spend a birthday with family! Most family members are in other states, but we managed to Skype with them over the holidays.

Miss Daphne is in Texas with the other grandparents. We will see her in April, when her little brother arrives. In the meantime, we have Skype. Here she is with Daddy and Blondie.



Tuesday, DGD1 arrived for a vacation sleeping and snowboarding. She's also getting in some knitting: her first hat. DDIL2 and I helped her find this hat on Ravelry. She's using the yarn I spun from the Gaywool merino and silk. I had her start a baby hat first, so she could learn how to work with two circular needles. She picked it up very quickly. I can finish the baby hat if she doesn't want to, but it got her started. If she isn't done with her hat by the time she has to leave to go home, I will give her the needles and buy more.

I've been working on a Baby Surprise Jacket (BSJ) for our first DGS, Zachary, due to arrive in April. Here's my progress as of the time I was writing this. I'm probably done by the time this posts. If so, you can see a photo of the finished sweater in my photos.



The yarn is Knit Picks Stroll Sport in "Cork" and "Bare." It's great for babies, because it's machine-washable and dryable.

DDIL, DGD1 and I visited Joanie during the week for a knitting session. She showed us the baby sweater she had made. The zipper has yellow and white checked ribbon covering the edges on the inside. She does such a beautifully job of finishing. I could learn a thing or two!



I hope to have a lot more for quilters this year, but in the meantime, here's a look at the yummy fat quarters DS2 and DDIL2 gave me for Christmas:



They came from Sharon's Attic, which I reviewed when I was in the Portland area for Sock Summit. (The review is here.)

I'm finally getting back to spinning, now that the Christmas knitting is done. I've started on the "Autumn in Park City" superwash blue-faced Leicester (BFL) from AlohaBlu (see link below in "What's on my wheel," which was based on a photo I took on an autumn hike. Here's the fiber:



And here's the inspiration:



That's it for this week. Here's wishing each of you a happy, healthy and prosperous new year!

What's on my needles: If I'm done with the BSJ, the "Dogwood Blossoms" sweater, which I'm doing as a cardigan.
What's on my wheel: The "Autumn in Park City" superwash BFL from Christina/AlohaBlu . I'll try to get a photo of the singles soon.
What's on my iPad: Still Anne McCaffrey's The Skies of Pern from Audible. I didn't have much time to listen during the holidays. Also the aforementioned book from the Yarn Harlot and a few other books and magazines.
What's my app of the week: Skype, of course!
What's in my wine glass: Montavina Barbera 2008. Yum!

Note: This blog post was produced entirely on the iPad. (I used the Notes app to write it.) No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for or cleaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment