Monday, January 23, 2012

High Fiber—More Baby Projects

Since my last blog post, I have started two new projects and made a start on Daphne's "I-spy" quilt.



If you aren't familiar with this quilting tradition, the idea is to use lots of fabrics that depict objects a child might be familiar with: animals, foods, toys, flowers, etc. You tell the child, "I spy a (name of object)" and let them find it in the quilt. It's a game, but it's also a way for a small child to increase his or her vocabulary. I will be looking for a fabric for an outer border and backing for this quilt, and then get my friend Julie to quilt it for me. I plan to take it with me when I go to meet Daphne's baby brother in April.

A new order from Knit Picks brought the yarn for several new projects.



For the other new baby, arriving in June, I purchased yarn for a Baby Surprise Jacket (AKA "BSJ.") It's like the one I made for Daphne's brother. Here's what I have done so far:



The yarn is Knit Picks' Stroll Sport in "Winter Night" and "Mink."

The expectant mommy is making one for the new baby herself. She has made good progress.



The yarn is also Stroll Sport, which can be washed in the washing machine and makes a sweater a good size for the first few months for all but a preemie.

Also in the order is some Knit Picks' Wool of the Andes Sport and Wool of the Andes Bulky.

The sport-weight yarn is in "Wonderland Heather," "Baltic Heather," "Saffron," "Fairytale" and "Avocado." I purchased it for Mary Scott Huff's mystery KAL, which starts January 30th.

I've made a swatch:





I was able to get gauge using the size 4 needles, so I'm set to go. (Our swatch could be any pattern of stranded colorwork, so I just played.)

The bulky-weight yarn is for a felted diaper bag like the one I made a couple of years ago for Daphne's use, but this one will be for her new cousin. The BSJ I'm making for this new baby will coordinate with the bag, although it won't match exactly. The colors for the bag are "Porcini" and "Navy."

The book was added to my order for my friend Joanie.

In spinning news, I'm well into the second bobbin of the "Autumn in Park City" fiber I purchased from AlohaBlu. Here's what the first bobbin looks like:



It's Superwash Blue-faced Leicester. Christina, owner of AlohaBlu, dyed it to match the photo I took of the lovely colors during a hike in the fall. Being Superwash wool, it will be good for baby knitting if I choose.

The Sundance Film Festival has started here in Park City. I had my first shift Saturday afternoon and evening, when the weatherman decided to favor us with a blizzard...finally! I live in a mountainous area far from town, which usually gets the most snow. They let me go early, but it still took me an hour to get home. DH was almost done plowing the drive when I arrived at 11:30 PM. Perfect timing! This is what greeted me Sunday morning:



Between noon and midnight, we got 20" but 8" in four hours was the worst of it. Happy, happy ski areas! Not-so-happy Festival-goers, some of whom missed their films because of snow, traffic and accidents.


What's on my needles: BSJ for Baby Stuart and "Dogwood Blossoms" sweater, second sleeve.
What's on my wheel: Bobbin 2 of "Autumn in Park City."
What's on my iPad: Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson from Audible. Knit Picks Podcast. 
What's my app of the week: QuiltCalc, which I used to figure out how much fabric I needed for the sashing and borders for the "I-spy" quilt for Daphne.
What's in my wine glass: Charles Shaw Chardonnay 2008. I don't usually go for Chardonnay, but this one I like.

Note: This blog post was produced entirely on the iPad. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for or cleaned.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, If I didn't become overwhelmed by the beauty of the space I would have realized that its a place you visted to purchase things for your art. I do love the clutch and th bookcover. And much to my chagrin, if I read the caption on the picture I would have seen that little Daphne was a girl enjoying a tomboy outfit!

    ReplyDelete