Monday, January 30, 2012

High Fiber—Fast Forward to February

The Sundance Film Festival is over. The celebs have left town, and only the skiers are left. It was fun volunteering, especially with such great fellow volunteers, like Bev (my supervisor):



We've seen some great films. To check them out, see the Sundance website.

I worked long hours, and even though I took my knitting, I didn't get as much other stuff done. On my day off, I did get to do a little spinning. The fiber is "Autumn in Park City." I purchased it from AlohaBlu. Here's the half hitch I use for holding spinning, in case you've ever wondered what I do with that loose bit of twisted fiber when the phone rings.



I also got a bit done on Baby Stuart's Baby Surprise Jacket (BSJ). Here's what it looks like lying "flat:"



I think it looks like a potato chip or a cuttlefish. It's really sort of an origami project. You fold it a  certain way, and you end up with a little jacket. This will give you an idea of what it will look like folded properly with the shoulder seams sewn:



Just the hood to do. In case you've missed previous posts about this project, the yarn is Stroll Sport in Winter Night and Mink Heather. You can get the pattern from Schoolhouse Press. (You will have to scroll down to find the pattern.) It's also found in Elizabeth Zimmermann's The Opinionated Knitter, also available from Schoolhouse Press and Knit Picks.

Winter storms have brought the snowplows and the trucks that dump salt on the roads up here in Summit Park, outside Park City, UT. The salt on the road is to local moose in winter what the ice cream truck is to kids in the summer.



Sunday we went to see the performance of Rigoletto at Utah Opera. It was wonderful, with Celena Shafer as Gilda, Rigoletto's daughter. She was outstanding. (I was hoping she would get to live this time, but it ended as it always has. Sigh!)

Last week I swatched for the "Flight Path" mystery Knitalong organized by 
Mary Scott Huff. If you're on Ravelry, you can find the Ravelry group here.

I'm using Wool of the Andes Sport Weight. I showed you my swatch last week:



Today (If you're reading this on Monday, January 30th) we get the first "clue." It will be fun to see what the project turns into. A bunch of us from the Knitting Community are doing this Knitalong. It isn't too late to join us if you want. It isn't a race. Just a fun thing to do together. All you need is the pattern (see link above) and 5 skeins of sport-weight yarn, each a different color. I'm going to start a discussion in the Colorwork KAL in the Knitting Community, if you want to join in. Just get your pattern and yarn and join us!

For fans of Miss Daphne, here's a photo of her on her new toddler bed.



The quilt is the one made by my friend Ilene, who lives in California. Daphne took to her new room and bed like a fiber fanatic to wool and cotton! The old nursery will soon belong to baby Zachary.

This week, I hope to unwind (pun intended). I will be shopping for fabric for the borders of Daphne's "I-spy" quilt, so I can get that quilted.

Until next time, happy fiber fun!

What's on my needles: The BSJ for Baby Stuart (aka "BS"), and by the time you read this, probably my Flight Path mystery KAL project.
What's on my wheel: The "Autumn in Park City fiber, Superwash BFL.
What's on my iPad: Still Steve Jobs. I'm into part two. He was a very interesting, complex and (yes) human person.
What's my app of the week: Gas Buddy! It led me to the cheapest gas in the area just when I needed to save time.
What's in my wine glass: Panilonco Merlot Malbec 2010. We love red wines, and this one is unusual, in a good way. Nice!

Note: This blog post was produced entirely on the iPad. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for or cleaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment