Monday, February 6, 2012

High Fiber—Projects for Me, for Babies and for Those in Need

In the past week, I managed to put the borders on Daphne's "I-spy" quilt top.



My friend Ellen needed to go to the doctor, so I took her down to Salt Lake City. After she was done with the doctor, we had lunch and then went to Elaine's Quilt Block, where I bought the borders for the quilt, along with material for the backing. The border and backing fabric are from a Dr. Seuss line. We found a panel for the center of the backing. It's the entire The Cat in the Hat story. That's Daphne's favorite book.



The border and the rest of the back are from The Lorax, which is my favorite Dr. Seuss book.

Some of us in the Knitting Community have joined the "Flight Path" mystery Knitalong organized by Mary Scott Huff. If you're on Ravelry, you can find the Ravelry group here. I'm using Wool of the Andes Sport Weight in "Wonderland Heather," "Baltic Heather," "Saffron," "Fairytale" and "Avocado." Last Monday we got the first clue. Here's what we ended up with:



Today (February 6th) we get the second clue. We have a KAL group for this project on the Knit Picks Knitting Community as well. It will be a busy day. Sunny and I go to visit the nursing home tomorrow, so she will need a bath today.

In spinning news, I finished up my "Autumn in Park City" by AlohaBlu. (See "What's on my wheel," below, for link to her Etsy shop.) Here it is plied:



Other exciting news: My subscription to "Knitter's" magazine finally expired. 



Why is this good news, when I love this magazine so much? It's because I was able to get a digital year's subscription through Zinio. I have vowed to eliminate all my paper subscriptions in favor of digital versions on my iPad. So far, besides "Knitter's" I have "Vegetarian Times," "Entangled" and "Knitting Traditions" on the iPad. It will still take awhile for my quilting magazines and "Interweave Knits" to expire or become available in digital form.

While I have your attention (I hope I still have it), we need more fingerless mitts for "Mitts of Steal." You can read more here. Or if you're on Ravelry, you can participate here. We're shooting for distributing Mitts to some dialysis centers on March 8th, World Kidney Day. Fingerless mitts alleviate Steal Syndrome, a common condition associated with dialysis. They keep the hands warm, but still allow the patient to read, do crossword puzzles, knit or text while dialyzing.

No new photos of Miss Daphne this week, but here's an update. We Skyped on Sunday. She's taking a music/dance class for toddlers. She loves dancing with scarves. Her vocabulary is growing every day, although the words sometimes are only an approximation, sometimes with amusing (or alarming) results. For instance, she has a toy frog she calls "F--K." I'm sure she will grow out of that. Maybe when she learns to spell.

What's on my needles: Finishing up the hood on the Baby Surprise Jacket for BS. 
What's on my wheel: I finally get to try Targhee wool spinning fiber. I'm working on AlohaBlu's "Calico" Targhee.
What's on my iPad: Still Steve Jobs from Audible. I'm on the last part. I'm also reading Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's All Wound Up—The Yarn Harlot Writes for a Spin through the Kindle app.
What's my app of the week: QuiltCalc, "The Quilter's Little Helper," which I used to figure out how much border and backing fabric I needed for the quilt.
What's in my wine glass: Crane Lake Malbec 2010. Very nice!

Note: This blog post was produced entirely on the iPad. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for or cleaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment