Monday, May 1, 2017

Marching into May

Last week, when Common Threads met at Margareth’s, Lynda finished this shawl.



She didn’t want me to take a photo then, because it needed blocking. It’s the Estonian Dreams Lace Shawl, from a Craftsy kit, and she only had a few feet left over when she finished it. She borrowed my lace blocking wires and let me take the photo when she returned them.
Tuesday we got more (ugh!) snow. Typical for this time of year, we got lots, and then it melted.



Wednesday morning my brother passed away. We were expecting it, and it was a blessing, because he had Alzheimer’s and had been in a memory care facility in Washington State for several years. His quality of life was nonexistent. It was his daughter’s responsibility to see that his care was adequate. I’m glad she can go on vacation now. We weren’t close at all, but we sometimes saw each other when the kids were small. This is my favorite photo of him.



The little blond boy in his lap is our younger son, Peter. The redhead in his lap is my niece, Amanda (after whom my doll Mandy is named) and the other little girl is our daughter, Karen. The photo was taken about 1979 or 1980.

I went to visit Joanie later in the morning. She doesn’t get out much anymore, so she needed a visit. She had her pine tree quilt on the wall, and I got a photo.



Those of you who have read my blog for several years may remember that several quilting friends helped her paper-piece this quilt. Our friend Julie did the quilting on her long-arm. The fabric choices were entirely Joanie’s, though. 

Ah, quilting! Vintage Stitchers met at Barbara’s on Thursday. Remember her arm-and-leg redwork quilt? The photos I took didn’t really show the quilting, but this one might. (It was the quilting, if you remember, that cost her an arm and a leg.)



Janet has settled on a background for her Dresden Plate quilt.



She has decided to put triangles in the corner of each block, the way Barbara did for this one, which Barbara had handy, because she was sewing on the binding.



Rebecca has been asked to do some embroidery for a sample for one of the quilt shops. She says this is an iron-on transfer. Her work is always exquisite.



Janet knew she would see me, and so she brought this dog for me. He is Tatlo, American Girl Kaya’s dog. She brought the travois, as well, but I will have to give it to them when they come this summer, as it will require a large box. She is keeping her daughter's dolls, but wanted to find a new home for Tatlo.


He made a great prop for showing off Mandy’s Mirabella cardigan. Here she is, modeling how you become acquainted with a new dog, presenting the back of your hand for a sniff.


Then, if the dog allows it, you can give him a good scratch behind the ears.


Here’s the official photo of the new sweater.


The pattern is by Debonair Designs. I used Knit Picks Palette in “Bluebell.” I've decided this is the doll Daphne needs for next Christmas, but supplies are running low, so I may have to buy her one soon.

I had been trying to reproduce a cropped cardigan when I made the lavender sweater for Dolly. Well, I actually made it for Mandy, but it looked better on Dolly and went with her dress, so it will go to Daphne Jr., along with the dress. That’s why Mandy ended up with the Mirabella. The reason I was trying to reproduce the lavender sweater was because the original was in French. My attempts at reverse-engineering turned out OK, but didn't exactly reproduce the sweater.

Someone in the My Doll Best Friend forum had used the pattern a number of times and had come up with the modification I liked. I studied German and can knit from German patterns, but that was little help to me, and I really wanted to try this pattern. She said she could translate it, but not right away. She suggested finding a glossary of French knitting terms. I found one here.

I took the pattern, and with the help of the glossary, found all the knitting terms in the pattern. Then I used Google translate for the words not in the glossary. I sent it to my friend in the forum with questions, and she was able to help me clean it up. She also gave me her modifications, because the sweater was actually designed to be waist length. Someone in the forum has already test-knit the translated original, and I have a good start on the modified version, this one in Knit Picks Palette in "Alfalfa."



Saturday is getting to be march day, even though April is over. This week’s march was for Climate, something we’re very concerned about. There wasn’t one in Park City, so we drove down to Salt Lake City to attend that one. There was a good turnout. We met at the public library and marched up to the governor’s mansion. The pups are getting very good about trotting along beside us.


I’ll have to look and see if we have a march next week. They’re going to be expecting one.

Speaking of the pups, today is Dusty's birthday. He's one year old today. It was also my father's birthday, which I think influenced me to pick from this litter. Happy birthday Dusty!


What's on my needles: French Back-to-school cardigan for Vroni. Doing the hand sewing on the Kaleidoscope binding.

What's on my Featherweight: More doll clothes.

What's on my loom: Still waiting.

What's on my wheel: Stanzi also still waiting.

What's on my iPad/iPhone: Still listening to The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson. On the Kindle app, I’m still reading Dying to Read, The Cate Kinkaid Files Book #1.

What's in my wine glass: Crane Lake Malbec, a staple.

What's my tip of the week: When taking photos, watch for things that might be reflected in mirrors, windows, even shiny furniture (none of that around my house). Also be aware of any objects in the background that might look as if they are part of what you’re photographing. (My mother once made her younger sister cry by telling her that the knob in the photo of them was growing out of her head, and they had to have it surgically removed. It was really part of the chair they were sitting in.)
Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment