Monday, May 15, 2017

Antiques, Old and New, Young and Old

This photo summarizes my week.

Do the girls look tired? I think they're picking it up from me. Let me put together why this photo is a summary.

I was in a hurry to get Zachary Jr.'s birthday present in the mail, along with another package for Daphne's birthday, so I wouldn't have to mail two packages. (Zachary Jr.'s birthday is June 1st, according to Zachary.) This was the outfit I sent him, along with an apron, because boys like to cook, too.

(Carter is acting as my model.) I made the shorts and apron, but not the shirt, which came from here.

While the sewing machine was out, I wanted to put together a dress for Vroni. 



I wanted to be sure the translation of the French Back-to-school Cardigan was going to work, so I made one for Vroni to go along with her dress.

Now I'm making one for Lukas for Soren's birthday present. We're going to be there next month, so if I have everything finished, I won't have to mail it. I hope to have a hat, two pairs of pants, the long-sleeved T, like Zachary Jr.'s and three sweaters, including a Fair Isle pullover/cardigan. We'll see.

Once I had the girls attired in summer dresses, I decided it would be fun to put together a vignette of the four of them pretending to be fancy ladies at a summer resort and for Carter to be the waiter.

Sometimes sewing for dolls can be too much fun.

I was able to make it to Vintage Stitchers on Thursday. Julie was there for the first time in several weeks. She's making this quilt for a relative's wedding. She had the engaged couple pick the fabrics, which she said was fun.



My friend Joanie and I missed the Acorn Antique Fair in Ogden last year, so we didn't want to miss this year. There was lots of interesting stuff, including the china tea set the girls are enjoying in the first photo. This year's collection had some great quilts, and I didn't even get to photograph all of them. Here's a selection:











We had breakfast and lunch out, and Joanie's caretaker/assistant drove, so I was able to knit. One fun discovery at the antique fair was this live goose. She sat in her stroller and made comments from time to time about what she was seeing. She allowed me to pet her (I asked permission first), much to the surprise of her "Daddy." She had some kind of safety harness that kept her from taking off on her own.


We had some nice weather this week for a change, and we made two trips to Run-A-Muk Dog Park, which has 1 1/3 miles of hiking trail meandering through scenic woods and over babbling streams.


Our second visit was on Mothers' Day, which turned out to be a good day to go, because there were lots of dogs to meet and greet, and often to play with. We all got lots of exercise!

So I think I'll just pull up my own, human-adult-size Adirondack chair and sit down with the girls and a pot of tea.


What's on my needles: French Back-to-school Cardigan for Lukas. Still sewing the binding on the Kaleidoscope binding.

What's on my Featherweight:
 More doll clothes, now for Lukas.

What's on my loom: Still waiting.

What's on my wheel: Stanzi also still waiting.

What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished Sleep Tight by Rachel Abbott from Audible. Excellent mystery. Now listening to Ties that Bind by Marie Bostwick. On the Kindle app, I’m still reading Dying to Read, The Cate Kinkaid Files Book #1.

What's in my wine glass: Foxhorn Vinyards Merlot. Always nice.

What's my tip of the week: Going away this summer for a week or two? You can keep your plants watered by using a wine bottle filled with water and a Plant Nanny.




Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment