Monday, February 27, 2012

High Fiber—Hitting the Shops

 As I promised last week, here's a review of the Needlepoint Joint in Ogden, Utah.



Joanie, Ellen and I stopped there after the Acorn Antique Fair. We always stop there when we can. Joanie was looking for yarn for a poncho with a cowl attached. The people who work there are very helpful.

When you come in the door, you see a nice selection of bags and books.



Whatever you need for your knitting, they have it. Here are needles and notions.



Ellen enjoyed checking out the yarn.



In another large room, we found buttons, crochet cotton and other items, and a place to sit.



They have supplies for spinning, needlepoint, felting and rughooking, including spindles and a spinning wheel.



They also have soaps and everything you need to care for your nice handmade items.



Of course, they have classes, and nice tables to sit around. Joanie bought some pretty yarn, and I ended up with the spinning fiber I showed off last week. I always end up buying something here. It's the highlight of our trips to Ogden!

In quilting news, I finished the train quilt top. Here's a closeup of the engine block.



And here's the train top finished.



The pattern is the Chiloquilters Train Quilt. It's a great pattern, and fairly easy to follow, but there are mistakes in cutting the pieces for the Steam Engine and the Caboose. Good thing I had plenty of fabric!

Ellen and I went into town Friday to find fabric for the center plain block, the sashing and binding, and the backing. The binding and sashing are the same fabric. Here's the backing fabric, with the blocks and binding fabric, so you can get an idea.



The backing fabric was on sale. It's covered with dog paraphernalia, not exactly train-themed, but I don't think Zachary will mind. The colors are suitable, and he's coming into a family with a dog, so it's sort of a two-for-one quilt.

While we were at the quilt shop, Ellen helped me choose fabric for BS's diaper bag and lining. I think he will like the dinosaur fabric.



The bag will be felted. The lining will have pockets. I also found buttons for the BSJ for BS.

For you fans of Miss Daphne, here's a recent photo of her looking like a tomboy. She certainly is growing up!



Vintage Stitchers met last Thursday, and there were lots of quilted items to see. I'll have to show them next week. Stay tuned!

What's on my needles: Diaper bag for BS, Dogwood Blossoms sweater.
What's on my wheel: Full Circle roving in Caramel from KP, well into second bobbin.
What's on my iPad: P.D. James' Murder at Pemberly from Audible, All Wound Up: The Yarn Harlot Writes for a Spin eBook by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee on the Kindle app.
What's my app of the week: IMDb, great for checking movie information while watching the Academy Awards. (You can even look up our son, Peter Stuart, who does special effects and worked on "The Wild" and "Coraline.")
What's in my wine glass: Charles Shaw Shiraz aka "Two-Buck-Chuck." Definitely a favorite!

Note: This blog post was produced entirely on the iPad. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for or cleaned.

1 comment:

  1. OMG What a fabulous studio! It's simply the most inspirational environment. What lucky students/clients and what a LUCKY you to have it and the talent to sustain it. I see the little boy, your grandchild? He is a handsome little one. I have only one grandchild who is 19 months; he is a joy and a blessing.
    I see that your son was involved in movie production; talented runs deep in his genes!
    So glad we met on twitter- its a whole new way to connect to our human family (if they are democrats, LOL). I'll be back to read what is going on with you.

    ReplyDelete