Monday, February 13, 2012

High Fiber—Winter, Wonders and Wool

Vintage Stitchers met this week. Janet is finishing up her Noah's Ark quilt, which she started when her son, now a high-school senior, was little. She has made many quilts in between. Now this one will be for his child someday.



Diane is working on a block from Hop to It by Edyta Sitar.




She has most of the blocks done.

A member of the local quilt guild has been working on a display for the Olympic Quilt, which we made for the 2002 Salt Lake Winter Olympics. It spent some time in the Summit County Library before being moved to its current location. We're hoping it will be installed soon at the museum at the Utah Olympic Park in Park City.




On Friday the 2012 Spin-in on the Knit Picks Knitting Community began. Here's what I got ready to spin. I don't think I'm going to be able to finish it all, but I've made a dent in it, at least.




The two in front are Knit Picks Full Circle Roving
 (recycled merino and Peruvian Highland wool) in Caramel and Wolf. I started with the Wolf. Here's the first bobbin:




Here's the Knit Picks Full Circle Roving in Wolf, spun and plied:




The Spin-in will end Monday at noon. No sooner is the Spin-in over than the next clue will come for the Mary Scott Huff Mystery "Flight Path" Knitalong will come. (See last week's blog for link.) Here's what I have so far:




While preparing for the Spin-in, I warmed up with some Targhee in Calico from AlohaBlu. (See last week's blog post for link.) Here it is, a two-ply yarn. It was nice to spin, too.




As April approaches, I'm under the gun to get Zachary's train quilt done. The first block was completed on Saturday. The second was identical and finished Sunday. 




The free pattern for the train blocks is here. The Chiloquilters' quilt had the trains marching across the quilt. There are six cars, including the engine and caboose. The blocks are 12". I'm planning on running the train around the outside of the quilt. Each train (there will be two) will turn a corner. I'm working on figuring out how to turn he corner now. Um...and what to put in the middle! Stay tuned!

White Valley: We're getting lots of snow now, finally. Here's my backyard.




The ski resorts are ecstatic! We had about 20 people in church Sunday. The others were either snowed in or skiing!

Mitts of Steal needs nearly 30 more pairs of mitts for dialysis patients. If you knit or crochet and can help out by making a pair, check out the KAL here. If you want to know where to send the mitts, send me a PM or leave a comment, or contact Angelkarhu on the Knit Picks Knitting Community.

Happy Valentine's Day!

What's on my needles: BS's BSJ ready to weave the hood, the Mystery project and the "Dogwood Blossoms" sweater from Knit Picks.
What's on my wheel: For the Spin-in, getting a start on the Caramel Full Circle merino and Peruvian Highland Wool from Knit Picks.
What's on my iPad: Still Steve Jobs from Audible. I'm on the last part. I'm also reading Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's All Wound Up—The Yarn Harlot Writes for a Spin through the Kindle app.
What's my app of the week: The new, improved BlogPress.
What's in my wine glass: Doña Paula Los Cardos Malbec 2010. Lovely!

Note: This blog post was produced entirely on the iPad. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for or cleaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment