Monday, November 28, 2011

High Fiber—Finishing WIPs and UFOs

This week I'm frantically finishing up some projects that have to be done for Christmas or before. Remember Rocky's sweater, started last week?



 I wanted him to have a nice one for the Christmas season to replace the old acrylic sweater he had been wearing around the house in the winter. This was a quick knit, using Swish worsted in "Hollyberry." You can find the yarn here. The pattern is Biscuits and Bones Dog Coat, a free pattern I found on Ravelry. It's from Patons.

I needed to make a knitted gift for a special person in my life, so I CO the Elis Cowl. It was a quick knit and fun to do.





It involves Indian cross stitch. The pattern is available on Ravelry.

I'm using the yarn I spun from the turquoise merino I bought at Twisted in Portland last summer. This is the best photo I have of the actual fiber.



The fiber is from Pico Accuardi Dyeworks

Having finished that, I picked up the Prayer Cardi  and made some progress.



If you missed the story, it's the sweater started by my DSIL, who passed away a year ago in October. Before she died, she gave it to me and asked me to finish it for her husband, who is my DH's brother, so it's a very special UFO. She had the back done and had started the two fronts. We (DBIL and I) couldn't find the rest of the yarn, which came from a little shop on Inish Mor, in Ireland, so I ordered some similar yarn for the sleeves, hoping the effect would be taken for a "design feature." Then the yarn turned up. I finished the fronts and one sleeve. Then the sweater was on hold while I waited for a sweater of his to use as a guide for sleeve length and body width. He brought me one this week, and I was able to finish the first sleeve. I'm past the ribbing and into the pattern on e second sleeve. Then there's sewing up and the front band to do. It should be finished in time for Christmas, which is my goal.

My Daisy Chain quilt is waiting to have the binding put on. I'm dying to see it on the bed!

It has been a great week. Besides finally finishing some projects, I learned that Miss Daphne's sibling will be a boy, so I will need to knit some boy things. For you Miss Daphne fans, here's a new photo of her:



And DDIL1 got a 94% on her final in her tax preparation class. Looks like a job for her soon!

What's on my needles: The Prayer Cardi. 
What's on my iPad: Anne McCaffrey's The Skies of Pern, from probably my favorite sci-fi series.
What's my app of the week: Sticks and String. It's a direct link to David Reidy's website and the Sticks and String podcast. (He's back, BTW.)
What's in my wine glass: Vola 2009 Sangiovese. This isn't my favorite variety of red wine, but Vola makes a nice one.

Note: This blog post was produced entirely on the iPad. (I used the Notes app to write it.) No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for or cleaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment