Monday, November 21, 2011

High Fiber—Thankful for Furry Friends, Freezing Flakes and Fiber Fun

We got more snow Friday night, so Saturday was great for snowshoeing. 



Here are my favorite snowshoeing companions: DH, Rocky (wearing black) and Sunny (in brown).



Sunny  was busy collecting snowballs on the trail, which she showed off after she got into the car.



Snowshoeing was a nice way to finish out the week.

Most of the week was spent frantically trying to finish the kilt hose for DH. I took the finished socks to Common Threads on Thursday. I'll try to get a photo of the socks on DH, maybe with his kilt.



Lynda had the beginning of her Dogwood Blossoms  sweater with her, a few inches of both sleeves. I can hardly wait to start mine! The number of people from Common Threads who are planning to start this sweater and work on it as a group is now at six, with Karan still contemplating making it. We plan on starting after Christmas, probably meeting once a week, but Lynda will have a head start.

Karan had taken a weaving class and showed off her progress.



Joanie and Georgette were both working on very unusual scarves. I'll try to get photos of their scarves next time. Julie brought me the finished Daisy Chain quilt, which she had quilted for me. Julie has a professional quilting business (Mountaintop Quilting, thorum@xmission.com) and will ship.



The quilt still needs binding and label, and I'll have to wash it. This was my first quilt with wool batting. It will be interesting to find out how it looks when washed and dried, and also how warm it is.

Kay was back with the group, working on a crocheted bag:



I spent the session starting Rocky's "Biscuits and Bones" sweater:



The square holes are where the little sleeves will go. Rocky's manly chest is 21", not represented in the pattern sizes, so I went down a needle size and am following the 24" instructions. I did a gauge swatch, and it should fit OK. I have a few inches to go before the shaping for the part that goes over his little rear end. It should be done before Thanksgiving. The free pattern is available from Patons through Ravelry here. I'm using Swish Worsted in "Hollyberry" from Knit Picks. I have plans to make one for Sunny, but she has more flesh on her bones, and she rarely gets cold, so there's no hurry. I picked the same yarn for hers, but in "Lotus," sort of a deep bluish pink.

Especially with the early snow and cold, I'm feeling very thankful for the roof over my head, the food on my table, my fiber activities and the creatures in my life: dogs, wild animals and people, including all of you reading this. Happy Thanksgiving! And happy birthday today to my "Thanksgiving turkey," DS2!

What's on my needles: Rocky's "Biscuits and Bones" sweater. 
What's on my iPad: Just finished Stieg Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It's an interesting story. Now I've started Gabby: A Story of Courage and Hope by Gabrielle Giffords,  Mark Kelly and Jeffrey Zaslow from Audible.
What's my app of the week: I have to highlight the Audible app again. Now it will play the audiobooks you have ripped in iTunes, with the same features: bookmarks, advance or rewind 30 sec. at a touch. Nice!
What's in my wine glass: Viña San Esteban Reserve Malbec 2010. Special!

Note: This blog post was produced entirely on the iPad. (I used the Notes app to write it.) No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for or cleaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment