Monday, August 30, 2021

The Days of Wine and Cold Noses

Monday and Tuesday were spent tidying and cleaning the house and getting the fiber studio ready to be used as a guest room.


Wednesday our daughter arrived from Wisconsin, and settled into the fiber studio. (Some people have trouble sleeping in a room where little beings appear to be watching, but I'm happy to report that I didn't have to put sleep masks on all of my characters, who were busy hanging out in the new "guest room," which is pretty much their home, unless they're wandering around the house, getting photographed for stories.


The next day our younger son arrived with his family. While they were visiting, the dolls enjoyed some play time with a real child, our grandson Johan. (It's good that Jolena is limber.)


Johan was fascinated by the loom during their last visit here, when his father helped DH put the loom together for me in the living room. During this visit, I gave Johan a demonstration.



Although I was very busy during the visit, I managed to get a little bit done on the trailer rugs. It's fun to see how the colored warp looks with the fabric-strip weft woven in.


On Saturday, DD, DDIL and I left the boys and dogs with the men and drove to our local yarn shop. DDIL was to pick out some yarn for her birthday, which occurred earlier this month when they were in Hawaii. I wanted to spend some money in support of the local business, so I planned to find some yarn for myself. I had picked Taina by Eevi Kesäkuu to make something "pink-ish" and downloaded the pattern before we left. After much perusing the offerings at Fancywork Yarn Shop, I picked Round Mountain Fibers' Alder Fingering in "Sea Slug Pink."



Before I started a new knitting project, though, I worked some more on my whole cloth quilt.



One more section finished!

We went to one of the two playgrounds near our home each day, so the boys could play and the dogs could get a good walk. Rocky enjoyed riding in the stroller.



The kiddos have more energy than I do, that's for sure.



It was good for them to have a chance to climb and slide and swing to get rid of some of that extra energy!



DH discovered a good way to get Soren to take a nap after an outing: put on a boring (to him) movie and provide a comfortable place to "sit." Soren will watch anything that's on TV, even if it isn't really of interest to his age.



Another day, DD and DDIL walked to Pilot Butte with the Dusty and our granddog, Louis.



Yesterday, Peter and his family piled into the car and headed home. They are only a few hours away, so we will see them again soon.



Karen heads home to Wisconsin tomorrow. We will miss her, but we hope she will be back for Christmas with her husband and children.

Besides the outings with the kids and dogs, we used the barbecue for hamburgers one night and salmon steaks another. The adults had champagne, wine, beer and lots of good food. The boys had some sparkling cider for a special treat with their dinners.

Rocky had a few rough days. Something upset his digestive system, and he had to go out in the middle of the night two nights in a row, but he is over that now. We've weaned him off of the anti inflammatory medication, and now we're cutting back on the pain medication. Dusty was happy to have Louis, our granddog, to play with and take walks with. They are almost exactly the same age.

There's nothing better than cold noses on dogs and lots of good wine to have with dinner.


Where's my blog: If you want to follow my blog, go here and sign up to follow.

What's on my needles: Taina by Eevi Kesäkuu (photo from the pattern) using Round Mountain Fibers Alder Fingering in "Sea Slug Pink."




What's on my loom: Trailer rugs.

What's on my sewing machine: Its cover.

What's in my hoop: Still the Whole Cloth Quilt. A little more progress this week.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: "Veronika's Vocabulary Verses," a tongue-twisting poem.



What's on my iPad/iPhone: Still listening to His Lordship's Pleasure by Marion Chesney on the Chirp app. I didn't get to listen much this week. (I wonder why.)

What's in my wine glass: A lot, but the latest is Crystal Range 2019 Barbera, one of our favorites.

What's my tip of the week: If you want a great game that can be played by children and adults, is not very competitive and is unique, try One Night Ultimate Werewolf. We found it hilarious!

Where's my book: Emil: Stories from the Doll's Storybook went to the publisher on Monday. I had the cover kicked back for an issue with one of the layers in the software that should have been deleted before sending. It was rejected by electronic review, but when a real person looked at it, I learned it was OK after all. Whew! Still, I'm getting a proof copy, just to make sure everything is just the way I want it. I should have it in another week or so, and if it's fine, I'll approve the printing.

Mariah: Stories from the Doll's Storybook is available from booksellers worldwide. If you don't get free shipping from Amazon or B&N, buy from the BookBabyBookshop. Royalties go to support pediatric cancer research and treatment, and that's 50% of the price when you buy there. Other bookseller take a much bigger cut. The three stories in the book first appeared in the blog and they are reproduced with few changes. The stories (and links to them) are Being LittleBesties, and Distraction.




Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

<a class="blsdk-follow" href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/highfiber-7365001" target="_blank" data-blsdk-type="button" data-blsdk-counter="false">Follow</a><script>(function(d, s, id) {var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if (d.getElementById(id)) return;js = d.createElement(s);js.id = id;js.src = "https://www.bloglovin.com/widget/js/loader.js?v=1";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, "script", "bloglovin-sdk"))</script>

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7365001/?claim=kkvctsdtf4n">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a> 

No comments:

Post a Comment