Monday, March 17, 2014

Kiss Me, I'm a Quilter and a Knitter, and….

Vintage Stitchers met at Ellen's on Thursday. Rebecca is working on a new appliqué, of course. 
Carol brought her finished quilt to sew on binding. Here's the front.
The back is as lovely as the front:
Two weeks ago, I called the top a version of the "1600" quilt. It is, sort of. I have more information on it now. It came from the Missouri Star Block magazine, winter Vol. 1, Issue 1. 
This is an incredible deal. The "magazine" is book-quality, with fantastic photos and sturdy pages. It comes out every other month for $6 an issue. If you subscribe, the shipping is free. You pay only for the current issue each time and can skip an issue if you need to.
Barbara's appliqué, inherited from a friend who passed away a few months ago. The background and leaves are cotton flannel, and the flowers and berries are cotton corduroy. The pattern is Apricot Preserves by Ann Danzig's Granny's Attic. I was unable to find this pattern online, but the designer is (or was) with Mormon Handicraft

Since I couldn't find a link that showed a photo of the finished quilt, here's a photo of the pattern. This will give you an idea. 
Brenda is working on the orange slice for the cover quilt from Beginner's Guide to Free-Motion Quilting by Natalia Bonner. 
Janet brought some books she wanted to remove from her quilt/fiber studio to make room for more books. We all looked though them and picked what we wanted. Rebecca selected Vintage Blooms by Pat Sloan. Remember this appliqué of hers?
She had purchased it as a kit. It was originally a set of seasonal pieces. This one and the rest of the quilts are in this book. Now she can make them all, thanks to Janet. 
Joanie, Georgette and I got together for a UFO-finishing session. Georgette is making another pair of booties. I finished half of the third Yei figure on the Yei Figures Bag, then went on to the fourth. I'm not sure I have enough of the orange color (Jamieson's DK "Amber"), so I'm going to wait until I've used it in the border to find out if I need to substitute another color. Or maybe I'll see if I can find it online somewhere.
The Madison is coming along famously, and I got another leaf appliquéd onto the last panel of my "Delectable Pathways" quilt. 
What's on my needles: Madison cardigan, back and most of the front done. "Green Tea" socks, no progress this week. 
What's on my loom: Waffle scarf, inching along. 
What's on my Featherweight: Soren's I-spy quilt, working on the sashing and cornerstones. The blocks are done. 
What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished listening to Georgette Heyer's The Foundling from Audible. It had me in stitches at times. One of her funniest. Now watching "Top-Down Icelandic Sweater" with Ragga Eiriksdótir and Joe Cunningham's "Pattern-Free Quiltmaking," both classes from Craftsy.
What's my app of the week: Craftsy. I love that I can watch the videos and download the materials, even away from home or lying on the couch.  
What's in my wine glass: Woodbridge Zinfandel, 2012 vintage. Nice! (It had better be, since I have up my second glass of wine each evening for Lent! If I can only have one glass, I want it to be nice.) 
What's my tip of the week: Whether it's quilting or knitting, don't let anyone tell you there's only one way to do something. What works for one person may not be as comfortable or as much fun…or even as successful…for you as another method. It's good to try new methods, though, so you can find out what suits you.
Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment