Monday, August 27, 2012

High Fiber--Dogs and Demos


It has been a busy week. So busy, in fact, that I forgot to put my knitting up and left it in a chair. DH put it on the floor. 
Sunny decided she could improve on my version of the Dogwood Blossoms Cardigan, so she had a go at it. Yum! I'm not sure which was more delicious: the metal stitch markers or my wooden Harmony needles! 
Much as I love my st markers and my needles, I was more concerned first about Sunny. I found the missing needle tips and most of the parts of the st markers. One bead is missing, but it was round and probably wouldn't cause any problems. My second concern was for my knitting. After putting so much time into it, I didn't want to lose any of it.
Good news! I was able to get the sts onto a new needle and discovered the only place the yarn was damaged was about six sts from the steek. I was able to take it out back to the middle of the steek and start with new yarn. I'm back on track, good as new, with plastic st markers and metal needles!
The main reason I've been so busy has been because we're finally starting on our bathroom remodel. Here is what we have now. First the hall bath:
In this photo, you can see the bathtub enclosure in the mirror. Everything is original equipment from 1977, when the house was built. What doesn't show in the photo: pits in the mirrors, bleached-out discolorations on the countertops, curled up edges of the vinyl flooring, irregularities in the walls and ceilings.
Then there's the "master bath." I put it in quotes, because if you follow the road to Narnia through everything hanging in our closet, you will arrive in a tiny space with a shower too small to use even as a phone booth. The bathroom might be big enough for the "Master of the House" if the "Mistress of the House" doesn't try to squeeze in there, too. It has one sink, enclosed on three sides, so sharing that is impossible. 
When we moved in, we converted the bedroom next to the living room to a dining room, so we have no need for a full bath on the main floor. Since the "master bath" is too tiny to be of much use, we're going to expand into the current full bath, turning both into a powder room and a larger master bath. Below is a copy of the plan. (The blue lines represent current walls, some of which will be removed. The shaded lines will be new walls.)
There is a broom closet is going to be torn out and incorporated into the powder room. It is currently located in front of where the new powder room toilet will go. The door to the broom closet will become a wall. There will be a new broom closet in the powder room.
The "Road to Narnia" will be resolved by making one side of the current closet larger and installing sliding doors, then making the other side smaller and filling it with cabinets and drawers. Presto! A hallway! The new closet will have two rods for hanging shorter clothes. Then a new closet will be built in the bathroom for longer clothes, with a laundry chute in the floor leading to the utility room below.
The tile we have picked for the floor of the bathroom will be the same as in the new shower stall, which will also feature three decorative tiles representing Kokopelli with a flock of hummingbirds. The pebbles will go on the base of the shower stall.
The demolition has begun. DH is doing as much of it as he can, saving money. A plumber will remove the tub, though. 
All this talk about work has worn me out. Time for a nice nap.... 
As you can see, Soren has just about grown out of his BSJ. Good thing I made him a bigger one! I will have to get busy and make him one that's bigger yet. But that will be fun! 
What's on my needles: Dogwood Blossoms Cardigan, moving along.
What's on my iPad: Just downloaded Odd Apocalypse by Dean Koontz from Audible. Hope to start it soon!
What's on my Wheel: Full Circle Roving in "Pidgeon." It's spinning up nicely. I'm on the second bobbin.
What's in my wine glass: Foxhorn Merlot. In the big bottle. Nice choice if you don't mind having the same thing two evenings in a row. I never mind, as long as the wine is this good.
Note: This blog post was produced entirely on the MacBook. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for or cleaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment