Monday, October 3, 2011

High Fiber—Getting Buzzed

If you are a regular reader of my blog you have seen the progress on this, the "Bees' Knees Cardigan" from The New Stranded Colorwork by Mary Scott Huff.

Here was the body almost finished:



The yarn used is Knit Picks discontinued Essential sock yarn in "Cocoa," Knit Picks Stroll tonal in "Golden Glow" and "Springtime," and Stroll "Bare." All are fingering weight.

The sleeves were worked two at a time in the round with steeks between them. (Steeks = cutting your knitting. Yikes!) The odd sts in the middle of the photo are the steek sts. (Steek sts are extra sts on each side of where the knitting will be cut.)



Then I had to use the sewing machine to sew two rows of stitches on each side of the cutting line (marked with blue yarn). The machine stitching keeps the knitting from coming apart after cutting. Here's a closeup showing the sewing of the steek.



I steeked the sleeves first.



Then I blocked the body and the sleeves.



Then it was easier to steek the body. Here is the Bees' Knees steeking done and facings in progress. The bottom facings were worked with the body and sleeves using the green yarn.



I had to join the shoulders using a 3-needle BO. This will give a seam that will support the weight of the sweater.

Here you can see the sleeves sewn in. The front and neck facings were made by picking up sts with green yarn, knitted and then sewn down.



There was a facing for the armhole, a sort of knitted extension added to the top of the sleeves. Here you can see it sewn down:



Later, a strip of ribbon will be sewn over the raw edges of the sleeve seams. (I still have to pick out the ribbon.)



Next step: Sew on the pewter fasteners.



Who will be wearing this confection? Our beautiful DGD2:



She has just learned she will be sharing Grandma's hand knit baby and child projects with a baby brother or sister! Is she excited!

Another event this week was the introduction of the Ask the Fairy Godknitters group on the Knit Picks Knitting Community. Any question regarding knitting may be posted there, and experienced knitters will try to help. It will be fun to see what kind of questions we get...and what kind of answers!

I hope to have something in the way of quilting to show next week. Stay tuned.

What's on my needles: Socks for Daphne. I will be getting back to DBIL's prayer cardi, so I can finish by Christmas. Also back to DH's kilt Hose.
What's on my wheel: Empty, but it has plans, and so do I.
What's on my iPad: All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot.
What's my app of the week: Zinio. Just got my new issue of "Knitting Traditions" through the Zinio app. They sent me an email with a link to Zinio to let me know the new issue was there. Love it! No more paper subscriptions for me!
What's in my wine glass: Il Valore Sangiovese 2009, becoming a favorite!

Note: This blog post was produced entirely on the iPad. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, not even my MacBook, and no Windows were opened, waited for or cleaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment