Sunday, October 23, 2011

High Fiber—Family Visits, Part One

We have been on the road since Tuesday. In the car, I got a good start on the kilt hose for DH:



The knitting and the audiobooks make the time go by fast.

We arrived in Peru, IN, Thursday afternoon and have been having a nice visit with DS1 and his DW.



DS had the day off on Friday, so we took the pups (four, including ours and their Westies, Koko and Odie) to the dog park in Kokomo. Rocky had so much fun running, hiis feet hardly touched the ground.



While we visited with DS1 and his DW, I did some swatching for my Dogwood Blossoms cardigan. Here's one:



The reds aren't quite right in my camera, especially the color "Pimiento," which is sort of a cardinal red. I also made some changes to the design. I removed the "Almond" and replaced it with "Nutmeg." I also tried carrying the "Raspberry Heather" for two extra rows, reducing the "Rose Hip" to one row. I'm liking the effect. There is more swatching to be done, because I want to change a couple of other things, too.

While at DS1’s home in Peru, I took a photo of the quilt I made for them several years ago, "Misty's Windy Day."



Misty was the big standard poodle we had for 13 years. That was in the days before Rocky. Misty showed up in appliqué form in the quilt. The quilt was based on a block of the month program at Whimsy Cottage when the store was in Heber City. You bought the first block for $5, and then if you brought it back finished the next month, you got the next kit for free. I ended up not having to pay for any blocks, just the other materials. I made a lot of changes to it, including Misty. It resides in the home of DS1 and his quilter DW. See if you can find Misty. (Clue: Misty is white. Answer at the bottom of the page.)

I finished the binding on DD's quilt, "Floral Bouquet," so that will be ready to hand over when I see her in a few days. I'll try to post a photo next time.

We'll be here a few more days, and then it's off to Wisconsin, where we plan to spend Halloween with Miss 
Daphne.

Misty is next to the dog house near the street light.

What's on my needles: DH's kilt Hose, using Stroll fingering weight sock yarn in Bare and the pattern from Mary Scott Huff's class, "Kilt by Association" at Sock Summit 2011. Also working on Mr. Foster, a very old UFO, and swatching for the Dogwood Blossoms.  DBIL's Prayer Cardi is still waiting at home.


What's on my iPad: Still All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot. I'm on the second half. We listened to Dean Koontz's Dragon Tears in the car. I think DH wants another Koontz novel for the next leg of the trip.


What's my app of the week: I've downloaded KnitCompanion, but haven't had time to play with it yet. I'll let you know.


What's in my wine glass: Frontera Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot 2010 from Chile. Nice, and a change from what we can get at home.
 
Note: This blog post was produced entirely on the iPad. (I used the Notes app to write it.) No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for or cleaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment