Monday, July 15, 2024

Preparations, Part One

We're getting ready to take a long trip with the R·Pod toward the end of this month, so we're starting to prepare. I pulled out this cookbook I made when we took our three-week vacation in New Zealand in 1996. 



We were living in Indonesia at the time, so it wasn't so expensive to get there and back. We rented a little camper van that only had a stove top for cooking. I found recipes that looked good, adjusted them for two servings, so we wouldn't have a lot of leftovers in the little fridge. I had a computer and a Quark X-Press word-processing program for the text. I had it bound with a plastic sheet on the front and back, and took it along. I noted the date we tried each recipe and how we liked it. I think it will be useful now, because on this trip, we will be staying in some places that don't have electricity, needed for our microwave/convection oven.


I did some shopping a few days ago and picked up a couple small dishpans to use on the shelf over the table. We can put our shoes in them, so they aren't taking up floor space. I'm thinking of keeping the tea, coffee filters and that kind of thing in one of the three little boxes I picked up. I'm thinking of going back to get more of the dishpans if they still have them, now that I know that they fit. The little boxes also fit on the shelf over the bed. If I can find more of those, they would be good. Everything was on sale.



We'll unload the shelf before we pull out.


I also picked up a couple of storage cubes for the space over the refrigerator. There's room for two more behind these. They fold flat when not in use. I'll pick up a couple more of those, too.



I finally found a use for that funny cutting board that came with the trailer. Someone suggested using it as a shelf over the toilet, but it didn't fit exactly in ours, and we do actually use the shower, so it would get wet. It still can be used as a cutting board or a tray, but I discovered that if we slide it in in front of the things in the cupboard over the sink and stove top, it keeps things from shifting.



The pups and I have walked every morning during the past week. We've been going out a little after 7:00 AM and usually get back before 8:00 AM, before it gets hot. Charlie decided to give it a try, although he's usually still asleep. I really like the two-dog hands-free leash, but when Charlie joined us, he was walking behind me, and Sandy couldn't decide whether to be out in front or walk with Daddy. It was a little uncoordinated. We tried it with Daddy out in front, and that worked out better. Sandy could be out in front and walk next to Daddy at the same time. 



The route we take gives us a little more than two miles. Here's our route, as a screenshot from the Walk for a Dog app from WoofTrax.



This time of year, the cheatgrass is a problem.




The problem for us is the seeds, sometimes referred to as foxtails. They can get into the fur of our dogs and burrow into the skin. Sometimes a dog will be sniffing at something and one of these seeds will go up into their nose. Another problem is the inside of the ear and between the toes. These plants are a pest for other reasons, too. It grows along the trails here, including the trails through the trees. I carry a comb in my pouch to remove them if one of the pups gets into some, but I try very hard to keep them out of it.


We had a sad occurrence on Wednesday. Our son-in-law's father passed away suddenly at his home in Texas. I think he was working out in the field in the summer heat, which may have been the cause, although he did have a heart condition. Thanks to the miracle of technology, we were able to attend the funeral on Sunday. He was a heckuva sweet guy, and I'm sorry we didn't get to visit with him again.



On a brighter note, I got a little more knitting done during the week. I've done more since this, but it's too dark to get a good photo.



I finished a new story, including the photos this week. Because we will be traveling, I have scheduled stories through the end of August, in case I'm not able to get online enough during the trip. The new story will come out on Friday. The others are reedited reruns. If I'm able to get another new story done in August, I'll add it midway through the month and reschedule the other stories, which is easy to do...if I have internet.


Soren had his birthday last week and Johan this week. Here's Soren, reading Our Favorite Verses: Stories from The Doll's Storybook. I'm impressed that he can read it; there are some big words in it, especially in "Veronika's Vocabulary Verses." I think he's the biggest fan of my books!




I have a lot of difficulty responding to comments to my blog posts because of technical issues beyond my control (my lack of understanding of how things work). Message me on Facebook, Ravelry or Spoutible if you need information.


If you have a few minutes and are willing, please go to Amazon and B&N and search for "Our Favorite Verses: Poems from The Doll's Storybook by Peggy Stuart". Every click on the page for the book makes it more likely they will keep a good supply in their warehouse and stores. If you are outside the US, you may have a separate website for these retailers. If you have a copy of any of our books, including Emil, Mariah or Classic Tales Retold, please leave an honest review on the websites, especially if you bought from them.


Where's my blog: If you want to follow my blog, go here and sign up to follow.

What's on my needles: Still working on the Oregon Cardigan.

What's on my loom: Still in its corner under the windows.

What's on my sewing machine: Never mind.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: Emil ponders how he is able to communicate with the animals and the other dolls can't, in Emil's Gift, this week's story from The Doll's Storybook.




What's on my iPad/iPhone: Still listening to On Call: A Doctor's Journey in Public Service by Anthony Fauci I'm up to the part where he and other scientists were grappling with the HIV-AIDS epidemic, which I remember well. Also still reading Elfen Königin by Holly Black, translated from English. Didn't get very far with either this week.

What's in my wine glass: Rossofuoco Barbera D'Asti 2021. Excellent!

What's my tip of the week: Don't throw out that leftover coffee. Pour it into a bottle or jar while it's still fresh and keep it in the fridge. You can microwave it the next day or serve it over ice as iced coffee.

Where are my books: The stories in each book first appeared in the blog and they are reproduced with a few changes. 
Our Favorite Verses: Poems from The Doll's Storybook is available from the BookBabyBookshop and other booksellers worldwide. Poems included are Valentine's DayKeeping PetsBack to School, Victor the VultureThe Week Before Christmas, Insomnia and Veronika's Vocabulary Verses.
The stories in Classic Tales Retold: Stories from The Doll's Storybook are Little Green GreatcoatThe Boy Doll Who Cried Wolf and Lost in the Woods.
Emil: Stories from The Doll's Storybook and Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook are also still available from booksellers. The link for Book Baby is hereThe three stories in Emil are Best BudsGetting What You Want, and The Boys Cook Dinner.
The three stories in Mariah are Being LittleBesties, and Distraction.
If you don't get free shipping from Amazon or B&N, buy from the BookBabyBookshop, because 50% of the price goes to St. Jude. Other booksellers pay much less. 



Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

<a class="blsdk-follow" href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/highfiber-7365001" target="_blank" data-blsdk-type="button" data-blsdk-counter="false">Follow</a><script>(function(d, s, id) {var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if (d.getElementById(id)) return;js = d.createElement(s);js.id = id;js.src = "https://www.bloglovin.com/widget/js/loader.js?v=1";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, "script", "bloglovin-sdk"))</script>

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7365001/?claim=kkvctsdtf4n">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>  

No comments:

Post a Comment