Monday, July 8, 2024

Going Forth

The big event of the week was Independence Day, July 4th. Our nation is 248 years old now. We had just had the flag out for Memorial Day, so I knew right where it was.



Thursday, July 4th, in the afternoon, the Cascade Horizon Band and Festival Choir (of which I was a part) performed with the band at Caldera High School in Bend. This was our program:


I was able to get a photo of other members of the chorus as the band was warming up.


With 35 minutes still to go before the performance, the house seats were already starting to fill up. 


Charlie and I stayed after the performance to help put the chairs and risers away. The audio links to the performance are here.


That evening we watched the movie version of 1776, the musical. We had seen it in person in 1976, four years after it debuted on Broadway. We saw our local community thespians perform the show in Ponca City, Oklahoma, when we lived there, shortly before Peter was born. We have a recording of the movie, which we watch often on July 4th or shortly before or after.


There was more happening this week than the Independence Day celebrations, however. Admidst the rehearsals Monday and Wednesday, we had a Madroña pop-up meeting (wine-drinking party). I've been trying to fix something special each time. For this one, I fixed a Quorn faux turkey roast with stuffing, gravy and roasted vegetables. We also had a fresh salad. We're still eating the leftovers.


It's always good seeing everyone and getting caught up with what they're doing. Paul Bush, who owns Madroña Vineyards with his family, always entertains us for a few minutes with stories of what they go through to produce fine wines, from planting to marketing, but not all of that each time. (Ask me about filtration.) We get different parts of the story, depending on what stage the vineyard is working on. I hope we can get down to Madroña this year with our trailer. It has been a number of years since we were there physically. (Photo from a previous pop-up.)


On Tuesday my T-shirt from DemCast came. I wore it on Wednesday. It's a little long, so I may alter it, but it was the smallest size, so it would have to do.


I also have a mug. I'm helping with DemCast in the effort to combat mis- and disinformation in the news, as well as encouraging voters to show up to vote.


Remember the r·pod shelves? We finished installing the one over the bed. The process left the bed somewhat mussed, with all the climbing around, but the sheets stayed clean.


There wasn't as much difference in height between the windows on each side as there was over the table, but we had the additional restriction of not being able to take up as much space, because we have to get in and out of the bed, so we put the shelf closer to the back (aft) wall and ceiling. The shelf should still be useful for holding things like jammies, jackets, a box with toothbrushes and toiletries and maybe a shallow box with the dog toys.


Charlie wants to get a mattress topper to put underneath the mattress, instead of on top. I don't have any trouble with the mattress, but he weighs maybe 20 lbs. more than I do, and it's enough that he feels the plywood platform the mattress is on.


Summer has finally arrived, and with it the heat. I'm finding I have to go out earlier if I want to get a good walk in before it gets too hot. The dogs and I left at 7:10 AM for this walk. We got back just before 8:00 AM, but it was already getting warm. We went south to the recreation center first, then turned around and went the whole length of the Larkspur trail as far as Bear Creek Road, where the route continues on sidewalks next to the street, so not as pleasant. If you continue on, you can go to Pilot Butte and up the trail to the top, but Bear Creek is a good place to turn around. On Sunday the dogs and I walked the same route, only we did the northern section first, because I realized the southern version had more trees and so was shadier. That gave us shade when it was starting to get warm.



I'm really liking the new two-dog leash. I think we should be able to do real hikes with this arrangement when dogs have to be on a leash. Sandy is always in a hurry to get to the turnaround spot and then to get home. Dusty would prefer to stop and sniff every two feet. Together, they settle into a reasonable pace. Sandy keeps Dusty moving and Dusty slows Sandy down. Another early morning walker pointed out that one of my dogs was the explorer, and the other was the chronicler. That about sizes it up! They move fast enough, though, I think, that it increases my speed and lessens my effort. Watching out for the cheatgrass is the only challenge. I carry a dog comb in my pouch, just in case. It's best to get the foxtails out right away, if you get into them. This is the worst time of year for this menace.


You can tell it's early morning from the shadows in this photo. There's a patch of cheatgrass off to the right.


I need to carry water for Sandy, because he seems to feel the heat more than Dusty and gets thirsty. The dish I use has a lid, so I don't have to throw away the water the dogs don't drink, and I can stick it into my pouch, but I need a way to attach the water bottle to my belt, so decided to make a tote for it. I was off to a a good start on it. (The cotton yarn I was using was left over from the placemats I made awhile back, which I still need to finish up and block.)



On our walk this morning I realized that I had a closed handle on my water bottle and an empty D-ring on my leash belt. All I needed was a carabiner clip, and voilà! I can even more the D-ring to a suitable location on the belt, so it won't be in the way.

I'm frogging the bottle tote now. Back to the Autumn version of the Oregon Cardigan, which is inching along. I decided to switch from magic loop, which I find unwieldy, now that the sleeve is narrowing, to two circular needles. I have no doubt I will still be working on this project when we leave for our trip the end of this month.



With the "Sound Forth" event over, I will start planning meals and fixing things to take with us on our trip.


I have a lot of difficulty responding to comments to my blog posts because of technical issues beyond my control (my lack of understanding of how things work). Message me on Facebook, Ravelry or Spoutible if you need information.


If you have a few minutes and are willing, please go to Amazon and B&N and search for "Our Favorite Verses: Poems from The Doll's Storybook by Peggy Stuart". Every click on the page for the book makes it more likely they will keep a good supply in their warehouse and stores. If you are outside the US, you may have a separate website for these retailers. If you have a copy of any of our books, including Emil, Mariah or Classic Tales Retold, please leave an honest review on the websites, especially if you bought from them.


Where's my blog: If you want to follow my blog, go here and sign up to follow.

What's on my needles: Still working on the Oregon Cardigan.

What's on my loom: Still in its corner under the windows.

What's on my sewing machine: It's cover.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: Mandy comes home with a surprise for everyone. Emil has a surprise of his own the the dolls in Some Marmalade, this week's story in The Doll's Storybook.


What's on my iPad/iPhone: Still listening to On Call: A Doctor's Journey in Public Service by Anthony Fauci, a fascinating listen. I've gotten to the part where he's involved in the AIDS epidemic, and he tells of how various medical scientists made discoveries to put together a treatment and cure for the once-fatal disease. Also still reading Elfen Königin by Holly Black, translated from English. Didn't get very far with that one this week. I plan to take the book with me on the trip. We will be away from power and hookups a good part of the time.

What's in my wine glass: A nice Italian wine, Montepulciano D'Abruzzo La Piuma 2022, excellent. We had it with a Thai stir-fry.


What's my tip of the week: We often buy shredded cheese from Costco in big packages. It can be frozen and keeps well that way, but it's hard to use just some of it without thawing the whole package, so I put 1-cup quantities into plastic zipper bags and freeze it that way. It's really important for shredded mozzarella to thaw it before using, because it melds together into a big lump. That makes it almost impossible to separate to get out a small amount. Other kinds of cheese, such as cheddar, can be measured while still frozen, but it takes some digging. Most of my recipes call for 1-cup amounts, and if I need a smaller amount, I can usually figure out what to do with the thawed remainder long before it gets moldy.

Where are my books: The stories in each book first appeared in the blog and they are reproduced with a few changes. 
Our Favorite Verses: Poems from The Doll's Storybook is available from the BookBabyBookshop and other booksellers worldwide. Poems included are Valentine's DayKeeping PetsBack to School, Victor the VultureThe Week Before Christmas, Insomnia and Veronika's Vocabulary Verses.
The stories in Classic Tales Retold: Stories from The Doll's Storybook are Little Green GreatcoatThe Boy Doll Who Cried Wolf and Lost in the Woods.
Emil: Stories from The Doll's Storybook and Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook are also still available from booksellers. The link for Book Baby is hereThe three stories in Emil are Best BudsGetting What You Want, and The Boys Cook Dinner.
The three stories in Mariah are Being LittleBesties, and Distraction.
If you don't get free shipping from Amazon or B&N, buy from the BookBabyBookshop, because 50% of the price goes to St. Jude. Other booksellers pay much less. 



Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

<a class="blsdk-follow" href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/highfiber-7365001" target="_blank" data-blsdk-type="button" data-blsdk-counter="false">Follow</a><script>(function(d, s, id) {var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if (d.getElementById(id)) return;js = d.createElement(s);js.id = id;js.src = "https://www.bloglovin.com/widget/js/loader.js?v=1";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, "script", "bloglovin-sdk"))</script>

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7365001/?claim=kkvctsdtf4n">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>  

No comments:

Post a Comment