Monday, December 12, 2022

Scandinavian Adventures

It's time for Finnish pulla again. It's always time for pulla, but I don't make it often enough. What caused me to make it this week, you ask? We were invited to bring "snacks" to choir practice. I decided pulla was a good choice. The spread we ended up with was amazing, so most of the pulla came back home with me, which is fine. We did have a bit of a discussion about what it is, and the people who tried it seemed to enjoy it.




This is my recipe.





Our organist is vegan, so there was literally nothing she could eat. I hadn't had supper yet, so no sugar for me. I had a cracker, an olive and a piece of cheese. I decided to make a vegan version of the pulla for our organist to take to church with me on Sunday. Here's what I did with the above recipe: 
For the egg, I used 1/4C soft silken tofu.
For the milk, I used Oatly oat milk, which I had to use in my coffee.
For the butter, I used an equal amount of olive oil.
I skipped the wash with egg, so it wasn't shiny, but other than that, it looked just as it always does. I've done dairy-free before, because Soren was off dairy for a while, but I've never made it totally vegan before. It turned out great, and she loved it.

Speaking of oats, I made oatmeal, and Rocky got to lick the pan, something he still somehow finds the energy to do. He makes room for Dusty, but little brother usually gives up before the job is done. Rocky sticks with it until it looks as if it could just go right back in the cupboard. (We make sure to wash it anyway, though.)



I have managed to get some knitting done.


We had a semi-moderate blizzard Sunday.


Daphne was chosen for the honor roll at school.



She's doing well with her ballet now that she's en pointe. She really seems to be enjoying it.


Zachary is also still enjoying dance. 



He can't seem to get enough of math. That may end up being related to his calling. 

The Beaverton boys went to the Scan Fest over the weekend. They wore Norwegian cardigans made by their great, great, great aunt from Bergen.





If you have a few minutes and are willing, please go to Amazon and B&N and search for "Classic Tales Retold: Stories from The Doll's Storybook by Peggy Stuart" in Children's. Every click on the page for the book makes it more likely they will keep a good supply in their warehouse and stores. If you are outside the US, you may have a separate website for these retailers. If you have a copy of our other books, Emil and Mariah, please leave an honest review on the websites, especially if you bought from them.


Where's my blog: If you want to follow my blog, go here and sign up to follow.

What's on my needles: Still the Hinterland Pullover, moving along on the second sleeve and the Talvinen. The EmPower People Kerchief (still hibernating).

What's on my loom: Dust, but I still plan to make some placemats.

What's on my sewing machine: Still ready for back of T-shirt quilt. I did get the quilt top and the backing pieces out again.

What's in my hoop: Whole Cloth quilt, still no progress..

What's in The Doll's Storybook: In "Taking Out the Trash," the dolls learn what happens to the trash and why we divide it up for recycling. 


What's on my iPad/iPhone: Still listening to Plan for the Worst by Jodi Taylor. In a couple of scenes I think I laughed harder than I ever have.

What's in my wine glass: Lácrima Purpura Tinto Seco. I couldn't find a vintage, but "purple tears" suits the wine. One of our favorites, partly because of the price.

What's my tip of the week: If you need an egg for a recipe and don't have one, or you want to avoid the egg for someone's dietary needs, you can substitute 1/4 C of silken tofu, as I did OR you can use an equal amount of unsweetened applesauce OR for each egg, whisk together 1 tablespoon (7 grams) of ground chia or flaxseed with 3 tablespoons (45 grams) of water until fully absorbed and thickened. You can also use mashed banana, prunes or winter squash. Strangely enough, if you have a can of chick peas (garbanzo beans), you can use 1/4 C of the liquid from the can. In baked goods, you may want to add a tiny amount of extra baking powder or yeast, as these substitutions won't help your recipe rise.

Where are my books: The stories in each book first appeared in the blog and they are reproduced with a few changes. 
Classic Tales Retold: Stories from The Doll's Storybook is available from BookBabyBookshop and other booksellers worldwide. The stories are Little Green GreatcoatThe Boy Doll Who Cried Wolf and Lost in the Woods.
Emil: Stories from The Doll's Storybook and Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook are also still available from booksellers world wide. The link for Book Baby is hereThe three stories in Emil are Best BudsGetting What You Want, and The Boys Cook Dinner.
The three stories in Mariah are Being LittleBesties, and Distraction.
If you don't get free shipping from Amazon or B&N, buy from the BookBabyBookshop, because 50% of the price goes to St. Jude. Other booksellers pay much less. 



Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

<a class="blsdk-follow" href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/highfiber-7365001" target="_blank" data-blsdk-type="button" data-blsdk-counter="false">Follow</a><script>(function(d, s, id) {var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if (d.getElementById(id)) return;js = d.createElement(s);js.id = id;js.src = "https://www.bloglovin.com/widget/js/loader.js?v=1";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, "script", "bloglovin-sdk"))</script>

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7365001/?claim=kkvctsdtf4n">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a> 

No comments:

Post a Comment