Monday, September 12, 2022

Things Come Together

The first sleeve of the Hinterland Pullover is almost done. I had started the colorwork on the sleeves, but I began to think about having baggy sleeves and decided I would probably wear it more if the sleeves were plain, with ribbing, so that's what I'm doing. 



I bought the fabric for the backing for the T-shirt quilt. This is what I picked out. It sort of reminds me of SCUBA diving, which was one of the activities we participated in in Indonesia, so suitable to go along with the T-shirts from those days.




We laid out the quilt top upside down on the floor and played around with the two blocks that we planned to put on the back.




In the end, we decided to put a square in the middle using the dark batik left over from the top. When I cut the tracks of footprints off the two blocks we will have four strips of footprints. We decided to put them in each corner, all running in the same direction, but one on each side and floating just a bit from the edge. This complicates piecing the back, especially, since the fabric has a pattern that is different when the piece is vertical versus horizontal. I wish I had noticed that when I picked it out. However, my diagram shows which way the pattern goes on each piece. Now I have to press the fabric and cut out the pieces with the pattern going the right way.



The nights have been getting cooler. The days aren't too hot, and probably won't be again until spring/summer '23, but our little garden is doing its best. The birds and squirrels got some of our tomatoes and our entire first crop of apples (two).
This little squash is almost ready. 


Choir has started up again. We had a fairly small group this week, as some people are still away or otherwise occupied. It's hard to sing with a mask. I took mine off for the anthem and for the communion piece, but in a couple of weeks I shouldn't need it at all, because the new bivalent boosters are available here now, and we're getting ours on Tuesday. It has been five months since our last booster, so we're having to be more careful again.

The Oregon grandkids started school. Here they are, ready for the first day.



Daphne is going en pointe! This week she was fitted for her first pair of toe shoes.



The proofreading is finally done and my book is off to the publisher. Timing is still OK unless I have some problems with photos, as I had last year. This book has the same format as the first two, but the type is smaller and it has 10 more pages. There are still three stories, but this time the dolls act out the roles of characters in familiar stories.

If you have a few minutes and are willing, please go to Amazon and B&N and search for "Emil: Stories from The Doll's Storybook by Peggy Stuart" in Children's. Every click on the page for the book makes it more likely they will keep a good supply in their warehouse and stores. If you are outside the US, you may have a separate website for these retailers. If you have a copy of this book or our first one, Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook, it would help if you left an honest review on the websites, especially if you bought from them. The new book is going to be Classic Tales Retold: Stories from The Doll's Storybook. Here's the cover.


Where's my blog: If you want to follow my blog, go here and sign up to follow.

What's on my needles: Still the Hinterland Pullover (more progress made) and the EmPower People Kerchief (hibernating).

What's on my loom: Awaiting ?

What's on my sewing machine: Still ready for back of T-shirt quilt.

What's in my hoop: Whole Cloth quilt, still no progress..

What's in The Doll's Storybook: 
This week's story is School Days––a Poem, and it's a poem (no surprise). The dolls show us what they do at home before and after school and think about the coming cooler weather.





What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finishedl listening to Come a Little Closer by Rachel Abbott. Now listening to The Big Dark Sky by Dean Koontz. 

What's in my wine glass: Villa di Mare Nero d'Avola from Italy (Sicily). Very nice. (I couldn't find a vintage on the bottle, but sometimes the type is too small.)

What's my tip of the week: Flu shots are available now, but the height of flu season is January/February. The vaccine looses its effectiveness over time, so we will be waiting a bit longer.

Where are my books: The stories in each book first appeared in the blog and they are reproduced with few changes. Emil: Stories from The Doll's Storybook is now available for preorder from booksellers world wide. The link for Book Baby is hereThe three stories are Best BudsGetting What You Want, and The Boys Cook Dinner.
Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook is also available. The three stories in the first book are Being LittleBesties, and Distraction.
If you don't get free shipping from Amazon or B&N, buy from the BookBabyBookshop, because 50% of the price goes to St. Jude. Other booksellers pay much less. 




Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

<a class="blsdk-follow" href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/highfiber-7365001" target="_blank" data-blsdk-type="button" data-blsdk-counter="false">Follow</a><script>(function(d, s, id) {var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if (d.getElementById(id)) return;js = d.createElement(s);js.id = id;js.src = "https://www.bloglovin.com/widget/js/loader.js?v=1";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, "script", "bloglovin-sdk"))</script>

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7365001/?claim=kkvctsdtf4n">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>  

No comments:

Post a Comment