Monday, September 5, 2022

Happy Birthday, Rocky!

Rocky needed to be restrained when we put his cake down on the floor. Dusty just gave me "the look." Rocky can't respond to commands anymore because he can't see and can barely hear, but the nose works, and he knew that birthday cake was for HIM! They both wanted to get on with it. Skip the ceremony!



I didn't let them loose on the cake, though. I cut a corner off the cake and divided it in two.




Rocky's was gone in a flash. We couldn't even get a shot that wasn't a blur.




Dusty's manners were much better. He waited until we said it was OK to eat.


Here's the recipe I use. This time I used the second frosting, because I didn't have any cream cheese or unsalted butter.

Doggy Cake

Ingredients

Cake—
• 1 1/2 C Whole milk
• 2 Eggs
• 1/4 C Melted unsalted butter, oil or applesauce or combination
• 2 C Unbleached flour
• 2 teaspoons Non-aluminum baking powder

Directions

Mix milk, eggs and melted butter in a medium-size bowl. Mix flour and baking powder in separate bowl. Add dry ingredients to liquid and stir until mixed.

Bake at 425ºF for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool while you make the frosting.

Slice cake horizontally into two layers. spread frosting over one layer. Top with other layer and finish frosting top.

Frosting 1—
• 4 oz Cream cheese
• 1/2 C Unsalted creamy peanut butter
• 1/4 C Unsalted butter, melted

 Frosting 2—
• 2 ripe Bananas
• 1/4 C Peanut butter

Both frostings:
Combine all ingredients until creamy. Frosting 2 will drip, so don't worry about frosting the sides of the cake.

Rocky went to the groomer on Friday afternoon. They can't do the feet very well, because he has trouble standing for long. The grooming is mostly to make him more comfortable.


You may remember the dishcloth I was trying to make from loom waste, the pieces all tied together. I finished it and ran it through the washing machine in hope the knots would meld together, before trimming off the loose ends.



Here's what it looked like after trimming. I'll let you know how the knots stay together.


The knots are on both sides, depending on which side I was knitting.

Speaking of knitting, I haven't shown my progress on the Hinterland Pullover for a while. I did manage to get another inch or so done on the first sleeve this week.


As for the book, I haven't sent it in yet. Charlie wanted me to make some changes to the last story, mostly for consistency (and he was right), but a couple of things he wanted to change made me realize he had misunderstood what I was trying to say, so I was being unnecessarily vague. I fixed those, too. DDIL still finishing the final proofing.

I make bread about every 10 days or so. Lately I've been experimenting with making small loaves and this week I decided I wanted to have a more normal-size loaf, one that would fit the sliced cheese and faux lunchmeat we use. My normal loaf is too big for the cheese and four small loaves are too small, so I decided to make one small loaf and put the rest in another loaf pan. Next I think I'll try the pan that's just a little smaller for the big loaf. Here are my loaves and my happy sourdough starter.


The Wisconsin grands are off to school already. Here's Zachary on the first day of school.


Here's Daphne.



The Oregon grands start school this week. Here's Soren, who was reading to his mother. Apparently he didn't like that she stopped listening to take a photo. Louis didn't seem to mind, though.


that's their new patio at the front of the house, where they get shade in the afternoon. They put it in themselves.

If you have a few minutes and are willing, please go to Amazon and B&N and search for "Emil: Stories from The Doll's Storybook by Peggy Stuart" in Children's. Every click on the page for the book makes it more likely they will keep a good supply in their warehouse and stores. If you are outside the US, you may have a separate website for these retailers. If you have a copy of our first book, Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook, it would help if you left an honest review on the websites, especially if you bought from them.


Where's my blog: If you want to follow my blog, go here and sign up to follow.

What's on my needles: Still the Hinterland Pullover (some more progress made) and the EmPower People Kerchief (hibernating).

What's on my loom: Waiting to be warped for the next project.

What's on my sewing machine: Ready for back of T-shirt quilt.

What's in my hoop: Whole Cloth quilt, still no progress..

What's in The Doll's Storybook: 
The girls are back from their vacation on the coast, but they want to understand what causes tides. Mandy is more than happy to explain to them in "Brought Back with the Tide."




What's on my iPad/iPhone: Still listening to Come a Little Closer by Rachel Abbott.  

What's in my wine glass: Pinelli Montepulciano D'Abruzzo 2019, from Italy.

What's my tip of the week: For some reason, no one wants to eat the ends of the loaf of bread. I cut them into pieces and let them sit on a cookie sheet until they are dry, then use them as dog treats. Once dry, they can be stored the way dog biscuits are stored.

Where are my books: The stories in each book first appeared in the blog and they are reproduced with few changes. Emil: Stories from The Doll's Storybook is now available for preorder from booksellers world wide. The link for Book Baby is hereThe three stories are Best BudsGetting What You Want, and The Boys Cook Dinner.
Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook is also available. The three stories in the first book are Being LittleBesties, and Distraction.
If you don't get free shipping from Amazon or B&N, buy from the BookBabyBookshop, because 50% of the price goes to St. Jude. Other booksellers pay much less. 




Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

<a class="blsdk-follow" href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/highfiber-7365001" target="_blank" data-blsdk-type="button" data-blsdk-counter="false">Follow</a><script>(function(d, s, id) {var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if (d.getElementById(id)) return;js = d.createElement(s);js.id = id;js.src = "https://www.bloglovin.com/widget/js/loader.js?v=1";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, "script", "bloglovin-sdk"))</script>

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7365001/?claim=kkvctsdtf4n">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a> 

No comments:

Post a Comment