Monday, March 7, 2022

Yarn!

We’re back from our first trip since the pandemic began other than outdoor camping. I had a great time at the Rose City Yarn Crawl. You can read all about it in last week's post.

This week, you get to see some new acquisitions. First, I present the yarn I ordered for the Talvinen pullover. DDIL and I are going to make them together as a KAL (long distance, because we are no longer in the same location). The yarn is listed on the project page for the pattern. We’re both using the same colorway as the sample.



I dropped some $$$ in most of the shops on the Crawl. Here’s what I bought with no thought in mind as to project. (Actually, I plan to knit a kerchief/shawlette out of the pink, but the others just begged me not to leave them there in the shop.)


In addition to the above, I picked up enough yarn to make the Hinterland pullover, which I have already cast on. It calls for a main color and a self-striping yarn or one that changes color, which is lovely, but I wanted to use navy for the main color and two separate colors for the contrast. I picked a white and a lighter blue.
I’m having to knit with three colors in some rounds. I find it easier to work the two contrast colors first, slipping the main color sts as I come to them, catching the floats as I can, then working the same round again in the main color and slipping the contrast colors, catching the floats in the contrast colors by putting the longer float of the two contrast yarns over my needles and knitting the main color under it, then letting it fall back into place


DDIL blocked her Gresham Shawl. (The kit was a Christmas present from us.) Fancywork Yarn Shop had an online KAL, and she could participate, even though she's several hours away from the shop.


You may remember my broken bowls from two weeks ago. The replacement bowls arrived and one was cracked, but not broken into pieces.


The other bowl was intact. It’s lovely. It’s the Hedgehog bowl from the "In the Forest" set by Mason Cash. It’s about 8.5" across.


The second replacement was shipped on Tuesday and arrived Friday. I was very nervous when I opened the box, but it was fine. It’s another Mason Cash bowl, this one from the Original Cane collection. It’s the same size as the other bowl. I use this size a lot for salad, letting bread rise and mixing things.


We brought home several celeriacs (celery root). I use a whole one in celery and lentil soup. Then about half this much in a stir fry the next day. I’ve never cooked it before. It was delicious!


For some cuteness this week, I’m including this photo of the pups, waiting in the back seat of the car during our trip home on Monday.



If you have a few minutes and are willing, please go to Amazon and B&N and search for "Emil: Stories from The Doll's Storybook by Peggy Stuart" in Children's. Every click on the page for the book makes it more likely they will keep a good supply in their warehouse and stores. If you are outside the US, you may have a separate website for these retailers. If you have a copy of our first book, Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook, it would help if you left an honest review on the websites, especially if you bought from them.


Where's my blog: If you want to follow my blog, go here and sign up to follow.

What's on my needles: The Hinterland pullover. Still have the emPower kerchief to finish. It could go very quickly, and it’s almost mindless, so next time I have a meeting or something that takes my attention, I’ll work on it.

What's on my loom: Still

What's on my sewing machine: Still

What's in my hoop: Still

What's in The Doll's Storybook: Mandy's Adventures in Yarnland is about Mandy's trip to Portland with The Writer to participate in the Rose City Yarn Crawl.




What's on my iPad/iPhone: Still listening to Unthinkable by Jamie Raskin on the audible app. Hope to finish it this week.

What's in my wine glass: De Dauzac Bordeaux 2018. Very nice.

What's my tip of the week: Here’s my recipe for Celeriac Lentil Soup

Ingredients:
• 1 onion chopped 
• 1 T olive oil 
• 1 cup green lentils
• 2 vegetable boullion cubes
• 1 carrot chopped
• 1 clove of garlic chopped
• 1 celery root diced 
• 1 potato diced 
• 3/4 tbsp salt (or to your taste) 
• black pepper to taste 

Directions:
Sauté chopped onions until soft.
Rinse lentils in slow-cooker pot and drain.
Add onions and remaining ingredients.
Cook 6-8 hours on low.
(To peel celeriac, slice the top off, then cut it into four pieces longitudinally so you can slice thin pieces off of the sides. Then use a peeler to get the rest of it off.)

Where are my books: The stories in each book first appeared in the blog and they are reproduced with few changes. Emil: Stories from The Doll's Storybook is now available for preorder from booksellers world wide. The link for Book Baby is hereThe three stories are Best BudsGetting What You Want, and The Boys Cook Dinner.
Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook is also available. The three stories in the first book are Being LittleBesties, and Distraction.
If you don't get free shipping from Amazon or B&N, buy from the BookBabyBookshop, because 50% of the price goes to St. Jude. Other booksellers pay much less. 




Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

<a class="blsdk-follow" href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/highfiber-7365001" target="_blank" data-blsdk-type="button" data-blsdk-counter="false">Follow</a><script>(function(d, s, id) {var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if (d.getElementById(id)) return;js = d.createElement(s);js.id = id;js.src = "https://www.bloglovin.com/widget/js/loader.js?v=1";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, "script", "bloglovin-sdk"))</script>

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7365001/?claim=kkvctsdtf4n">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a> 

No comments:

Post a Comment