Monday, November 1, 2021

Cookin' the Books

Well, not in the sense that phrase usually means. Emil: Stories from The Doll's Storybook is coming out of the oven. The first batch has arrived and copies are going out to purchasers. My personal supply came on Wednesday, all 100 of them.



By Sunday, one box of 50 was half full (or maybe I should say "half empty," since emptying it is a good thing). Thirteen books (12 Emils and 1 Mariah) went off by mail on Friday afternoon, which included books for grandkids plus half of my preorders. I hand-delivered one of each book (one Emil and one Mariah) to a local address and two more Emils as local gifts. I have a box of 11 packed and another single going out this morning. This book is going faster than Mariah went, and some people are wanting both. I think that adds up to 27 copies of Emil and two copies of Mariah. 



I'm charging $16 for these, as publishing costs have gone up a bit, and $4 just about covers shipping (postage and envelopes) on one book within the US. Sales of the 100 books I had sent to me will reimburse me for my investment. All of the royalties from the book (as is the case with our first book) go directly to St. Jude. They get half of the purchase price of all sales through Book Baby Other retailers take a bigger cut, but some of the price will still go to this great charity. If you ask your library to carry the book, it will help get it out there.

If you want to help promote the book, do a search for "Emil: Stories from The Doll's Storybook by Peggy Stuart" and click on a few links. If you're on Goodreads, you can also find the book there and click on "Stores." Some will have it and some won't. Clicking on the links doesn't hurt, though. They will carry it if enough people click on the links. Amazon throughout the Northern Hemisphere and Australia/New Zealand has it available for preorder. I haven't checked all countries around the world, but any place that has an Amazon presence should have it, and any bookseller can get it. If you have a copy of our first book, please leave an honest review on Amazon, B&N, Goodreads and anywhere else that gives you that option.

In knitting news, the Taina Shawlette is finally finished. It actually is a fairly quick knit, but I got sidetracked with other things, as usual (mostly book-related). Here it is blocking.



It's long! Here's another view. Since the dining room table wasn't long enough, either, I put a tray table on the end of the table in my workroom and put the blocking mat box on top of that. It still hung over the other edge a bit.



I was happy with it when the blocking was done. The colorway name "Sea Slug" doesn't sound as pretty as it looks. Here's the project page on Ravelry, if you want details.


I managed to get one section of hand-quilting done this week. Now I'm on the second section.



It was a challenge to watch the first few World Series games. We resorted to using my iPad for one game, then used one of the laptops, because we couldn't get it on the TV. It was cozy, with the fireplace going, Dusty on his bed, a glass of wine and either my knitting or my quilting.


We had to listen to Saturday's game on the radio, because we used up the online previews. We got to see Sunday's game on the TV, though. For some reason, it was broadcast.

Speaking on Sunday, this fellow came to sing with us in the choir. He's a little strange, but we needed another tenor. (He isn't trying to be obscene; he just can't control his fingers.)


As you know, Sunday was Halloween. We captured our first two trick-or-treaters and put them in a box in the front window.




Where's my blog: If you want to follow my blog, go here and sign up to follow.

What's on my needles: Ready to CO for the first of a couple of sweaters for grandkids' dolls for Christmas.

What's on my loom: STILL the trailer rugs. No progress this week, but things should quiet down now that the first batch of books has been sent out.

What's on my sewing machine: Still its cover.

What's in my hoop: Still the whole-cloth quilt, some progress made.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: The special for Halloween was Victor, the Cultured Vulture, a somewhat spooky take on Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven."



What's on my iPad/iPhone: Still listening to Wildwood by Colen Malloy on the Audible app. 

What's in my wine glass: Mildiani Saperavi 2018, from Georgia (the country, not the US state). We liked this when we tried it before.

What's my tip of the week: TV tray tables are handy. If you need a place to serve someone or just a place to put your sewing or knitting supplies while you're working on a project, they are quick and easy to set up. I like to set one up to the left front of my sewing machine cabinet to hold the weight of a large project when I'm sewing long seams on a quilt.

Where are my books: The stories in each book first appeared in the blog and they are reproduced with few changes. Emil: Stories from The Doll's Storybook is now available for preorder from booksellers world wide. The link for Book Baby is hereThe three stories are Best BudsGetting What You Want, and The Boys Cook Dinner.
Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook is also available. The three stories in the first book are Being LittleBesties, and Distraction.
If you don't get free shipping from Amazon or B&N, buy from the BookBabyBookshop, because 50% of the price goes to St. Jude. Other booksellers pay much less. 

If you have a few minutes and are willing, please go to Amazon and B&N and search for "Emil: Stories from The Doll's Storybook by Peggy Stuart" in Children's. Every click on the page for the book makes it more likely they will keep a good supply in their warehouse and stores. If you are outside the US, you may have a separate website for these retailers. If you have a copy of our first book, Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook, it would help if you left an honest review on the websites, especially if you bought from them.


Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

<a class="blsdk-follow" href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/highfiber-7365001" target="_blank" data-blsdk-type="button" data-blsdk-counter="false">Follow</a><script>(function(d, s, id) {var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if (d.getElementById(id)) return;js = d.createElement(s);js.id = id;js.src = "https://www.bloglovin.com/widget/js/loader.js?v=1";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, "script", "bloglovin-sdk"))</script>

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7365001/?claim=kkvctsdtf4n">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a> 

No comments:

Post a Comment