Monday, November 29, 2021

Pulling Things Together

The T-shirt quilt is coming along. We went out on Saturday for "Shop Small Saturday" and picked up two lovely batiks for the rest of the top. The dark one will be the sashing and border blocks, and the lighter one will be the cornerstones and the border. I hope to get this done this week.


I cast on for Jackson's sweater. I found a little super wash yarn in DK weight in my remnants. It's Knit Picks Swish in Lava Heather. I used it a few years ago for a pullover for DH. I had quite a bit left over and had made a couple of sweaters for Rocky with it and had used it in an outfit for Daphne. The other yarn I'm using in Jackson's sweater is the same multi I used in Parker's.


Speaking of Parker's sweater, here he is in his completed sweater.



As you may know, Thanksgiving was on Thursday. We stayed home to make things easier for Rocky and us. Here's the table. We had a fancy salad, faux and real turkey (behind the water pitcher), gravy, homemade cranberry sauce, bread stuffing/dressing (in the big casserole), asparagus, yams with apple and Lanttulaatikko (Finnish rutabaga casserole), sparkling wine, homemade pumpkin pie and decaffeinated coffee. I set the table so we sat across the width of the table from each other, to make it easier to hand the food around. 


We remembered that last year, DBIL was with us for Thanksgiving, no one was vaccinated, and so we had to sit at opposite ends of the table from each other. We have so much to be grateful for this year!

One of those things (Johan) is now binge-reading Harry Potter.



We had our first 10:00 in-person service at Trinity this week. Everyone who could be vaccinated was, and we all wore masks. The seating was set up for people to be distanced by households, and people were asked to drop a slip in the offering basket at the front to say that they had been at the service, in case that information was needed for contact-tracing. If you want to have a look, here's the link. The anthem was at 1:01:16. We had a good-size choir, and I think it went well. This was the first Sunday in Advent.




Johan and his brother got their second Covid shops on Sunday.



The Wisconsin family members were getting ready to celebrate the first night of Hanukkah, and everyone else in the family was busy with various things, so we skipped the Zoom meeting for this week.

People have been sending me photos of their children reading Emil: Stories from The Doll's Storybook  or my first book, Mariah. For privacy reasons, I'm not posting them here, but it's really rewarding to me to see them. I just found out that the person who bought my first book in the silent auction for Therapy animals of Utah donated it to Children's Primary Hospital in Salt Lake City, so lots of children will be reading it there. Another writer of a blog that uses dolls as characters gave my new book a cameo appearance in a recent post.


I love seeing my books out in the real world. If you have one, please share a photo with me.

Wishing every one a happy Advent and a happy Hanukkah, and any other holidays you might be celebrating. Don't eat everything in your Advent Calendar the first day!

If you have a few minutes and are willing, please go to Amazon and B&N and search for "Emil: Stories from The Doll's Storybook by Peggy Stuart" in Children's. Every click on the page for the book makes it more likely they will keep a good supply in their warehouse and stores. If you are outside the US, you may have a separate website for these retailers. If you have a copy of our first book, Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook, it would help if you left an honest review on the websites, especially if you bought from them.


Where's my blog: If you want to follow my blog, go here and sign up to follow.

What's on my needles: The second Bright Lights sweater, this time for Jackson.

What's on my loom: Still the trailer rugs. No progress this week.

What's on my sewing machine: Still its cover, but the cover will be coming off this week to finish the top for DH's T-shirt quilt!

What's in my hoop: Still the whole-cloth quilt (sigh).

What's in The Doll's Storybook: In Giving Thanks, three friends spend Thanksgiving weekend visiting each other's places of worship. They decide to make a list of all the things they found were different and were surprised by what the list told them.



What's on my iPad/iPhone: Listening to State of Terror by Hillary Clinton and Louise Penny on the Audible app. Just getting started.

What's in my wine glass: Two Vines Merlot-Cabernet 2015 from the Columbia Valley. Nice.

What's my tip of the week: Don't wait until December to start shopping for Christmas. Hurry up! 

Where are my books: The stories in each book first appeared in the blog and they are reproduced with few changes. Emil: Stories from The Doll's Storybook is now available for preorder from booksellers world wide. The link for Book Baby is hereThe three stories are Best BudsGetting What You Want, and The Boys Cook Dinner.
Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook is also available. The three stories in the first book are Being LittleBesties, and Distraction.
If you don't get free shipping from Amazon or B&N, buy from the BookBabyBookshop, because 50% of the price goes to St. Jude. Other booksellers pay much less. 




Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

<a class="blsdk-follow" href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/highfiber-7365001" target="_blank" data-blsdk-type="button" data-blsdk-counter="false">Follow</a><script>(function(d, s, id) {var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if (d.getElementById(id)) return;js = d.createElement(s);js.id = id;js.src = "https://www.bloglovin.com/widget/js/loader.js?v=1";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, "script", "bloglovin-sdk"))</script>

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7365001/?claim=kkvctsdtf4n">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>  

1 comment:

  1. I don't know whether my comment posted to you or not. But here it is again: I have read the book by Hillary Clinton and Louise Penney you mentioned. To my delight we ended up in Three Pines!

    ReplyDelete