Monday, March 1, 2021

Another Mystery Knit-along in the History Books

The Rose City Yarn Crawl Mystery Knit-along is off the needles, and blocked.



The brioche was easier, once I got used to it. The bind-off is Latvian Braid, which was another new thing to learn. Here's a video showing how it's done.



Worked in the round is fairly easy, but this is a very long, flat edge treatment. What happens is, the two balls/colors of working yarn gradually get twisted around each other. You just do the best you can to keep it from tangling. I moved the yarn supply to the other end of the dining room table while I worked, and eventually to a chair. I moved the twist down the yarn every once in a while, and eventually I put a jar of olives between the two colors to keep the twist away from where I was working. As the next row is worked, the yarn untwists. There's more to it than that, but this is what's important in deciding to use this technique. I used the stretchy bind-off recommended in the pattern.



When it was dry, I got this photo in the mirror, so it's backwards, of course. I won't be wearing it to the shops, because the Rose City Yarn Crawl is completely online this year. 



We've had the usual walks with the dogs and cooking, including my favorite quiche recipe (see below), which, for some reason decided to act like a soufflé this time. It collapsed into its shell after I took it out of the oven.



I finally decided I was tired of working out the gauge/tension needed to convert the larger Happy Kidz knitting patterns to Little Kidz (like Pippa), so I worked out this chart:



I cast on a sweater for Pippa. This is another pattern designed for the larger Happy Kidz. I used the formula above and selected 2.5mm needles and fingering weight yarn, Palette in "Lipstick."




Theoretically, you can use the same yarn as called for in the original pattern, but when you tighten up the stitches, you could end up with a knitted fabric that's really stiff. I really like the thinner fingering weight better for dolls anyway.




Just the sleeves to go and sew on the buttons. Then she needs something on the bottom half, pants or a skirt.

What's on my needles:
 The Crocus sweater for Pippa.

What's on my sewing machine: Still waiting....

What's in my hoop: Still the Whole Cloth Quilt. A little more progress this week.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: Pippa learns about vaccinations in "Getting Shots." 




What's on my iPad/iPhone: Still The Black Madonna by Stella Reilly and Love Is the Way by Bishop Michael Curry. The first is a very long novel. The second has been taken up by the Adult Forum at my church, and we're discussing it on Sunday mornings.

What's in my wine glass: FleurDuCap 2008 Pinotage, which we bought in Temple, Texas, when we were there for our daughter's wedding in 2010. I thought it was still really good, in spite of being submitted to temperature changes and a move from Utah to Oregon.

What's my tip of the week: My recipe for quiche reduces the need for eggs and increases the plant-based protein by using silken tofu.

Tofu Quiche

Ingredients

• 2 sliced green onions (optional)
• 4 strips of faux bacon, cooked (optional)
• 1 single pie crust (homemade or frozen premade)
• 1 C grated Swiss or other cheese
• 1 box silken tofu
• 3 eggs
• 1 C milk
• 1 T flour or psyllium husks
• ⅛  t pepper
• ½  t salt
• ½ t nutmeg (optional)

Directions

Preheat oven to 325°
Line pie crust with green onion, cheese and faux bacon. Mix remaining ingredients in blender. 
Pour into pie crust and bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick or knife inserted into center comes out clean.  

Where's my book: Mariah: Stories from the Doll's Storybook is available from Amazon worldwide. Also available from BookBaby and other booksellers. Royalties go to support pediatric cancer research and treatment at St. Jude. The three stories in the book first appeared in the blog and they are reproduced with few changes. The stories (and links to them) are Being LittleBesties, and Distraction.

Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment