Monday, March 15, 2021

The 2021 Yarn Crawl Comes to an End

Well, the yarn crawl is over. The all-day Zoom event was a real highlight.


Each of the shops will have their hour available recorded on YouTube. Eventually, they will have their Zoom presentations available, although it may take a few days. Go to this link to watch. The ones that are already loaded will appear in green. In this day and age, all of them have an online business, so you can order from anywhere. Here are the shops with links:


The yarn I ordered from Close Knit arrived, in two separate shipments and on two different days.


I cast on the "Russet" for the tea cozy as soon as I finished Charlotte's Dressing Gown. I have this much done.


The "Aubergine" and the "Silver Mist" are for some mittens from this book:


The next day, I received this lusciousness from House of A la Mode:


It's for a special brioche shawl. This one.

I bought some circular needles from Pearl Fiber Arts (size 000, two of them, so I can knit in the round). I also ordered the Kevät  kit from Knotty Lamb, but they were out of them, so I had to preorder for the kits they're having made up.


Here's another view, this time of the back.



It comes in cropped and regular length. DDIL ordered one. I got the cropped, and she got the regular length. I picked these colors:


It will be at least a couple of weeks before the kits will be ready.

Before I cast on the tea cozy, I finished the dressing gown I was making for Charlotte. You may remember from last week that I thought the blue would be enough for the whole thing, based on weight. However, you can see where I ran out of blue. To hide the color change at the bodice, I crocheted a chain stitch around the body using a slightly darker shade of blue Palette (fingering), right at the base of the white and then added some additional trim around the neck to hide my somewhat messy picked-up stitches there. I added the embroidered flower just because, and made a twisted cord bow from the same yarn. Anyway, Charlotte doesn't look too unhappy with it. (That's her Mona Lisa smile.) She is holding her sleep mask.



During the week Johan read to his great-grandmother, who has come to live with his other grandparents....


....and to his class at school.


I'm waiting for an update on Soren's activities. Maybe there will be a photo next week.

Their cousins in Wisconsin had a dance competition over the weekend. They had to go to St. Paul, Minnesota, and stay in a hotel for it. Daphne took Misty along.


Zachary took his Billy along.



I'm glad they both enjoy their dolls. It's so good for their imaginations.
Their parents, as educators, qualified to receive their vaccines this week. I found this online.



We learned from the CDC that people who are fully vaccinated (two weeks past whichever dose is the final one––the second for Pfizer and Moderna, and the only one for Johnson & Johnson) can get together with others who are also fully vaccinated, and they don't have to wear masks. I see a future in which the choir can meet again. Some of us have been vaccinated, but our director doesn't qualify yet. Still, it won't be too long. In the meantime, some of us went to the church one-by-one to have a "professional" recording made of our performance for Palm Sunday.

In the meantime, we had to turn our clocks forward Saturday night.






What's on my needles: The tea cozy.

What's on my sewing machine: Dust.

What's in my hoop: Still the Whole Cloth Quilt. Very little progress this week.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: Brown Dolls? Pippa has noticed that Mariah's vinyl is brown and wonders why.



What's on my iPad/iPhone: Still The Black Madonna by Stella Reilly, a little progress made, but it's a long book, and Love Is the Way by Bishop Michael Curry, Chapters 7 and 8. My church's Adult Forum is discussing it, two chapters at a time. Otherwise I would just listen to it until the end, but I wouldn't remember as much of it that way. It's really good.

What's in my wine glass: Trader Joe's Grower's Reserve Zinfandel Paso Robles 2019. I really, really like this one. I wonder if it's because it's from organically grown grapes.

What's my tip of the week: If you need to measure honey using a spoon, dip it in hot water first (or run under the faucet with hot water running) and the honey won't stick as much. If it sticks, use your finger to wipe the honey off it, then you can lick your finger.

Where's my book: Mariah: Stories from the Doll's Storybook is available from Amazon worldwide. Also available from BookBaby and other booksellers. Royalties go to support pediatric cancer research and treatment. The three stories in the book first appeared in the blog and they are reproduced with few changes. The stories (and links to them) are Being LittleBesties, and Distraction.

Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment