Monday, June 15, 2020

Things That Grow.

More mushrooms are sprouting. Here's Sunday afternoon:



They started becoming visible Saturday morning. This morning they looked like this.


I spent a good part of the week working on my book from The Doll's Storybook. Here's a screen shot of the cover in the Pages layout.




I'm planning to include three stories featuring Mariah: "Being Little," "Besties" and "Distraction." I think the book will be about 60+ pages. I'm looking into self-publishing. The tricky part will be how to get the proceeds to go directly to a charity that supports pediatric cancer. I've approached another charity. I hope to hear something soon, because I would like to include the wording about which charity is getting the support.

Because of the work on the layout, I didn't get much knitting done, but the Jenny Cable Jumper for Jolena is coming along slowly. I had to frog the yoke three times (not all the way back, but just a few rows) because I dropped stitches where the increases were made and couldn't figure out how to pick them up again.



Church services are still online, and I found out Sunday morning that the bishop has decided that we will stay online until after Labor Day, which is probably a good idea. However, the choir met (via Zoom) on Wednesday evening. We are going to try to do a virtual choir performance that can be shared as a tribute to our local first responders.

As you know, mushrooms and sprouts aren't the only things we're growing. Our strawberries are coming along.



The peas are about 6" high now. DH built a lattice of string for them to climb.



We've always had good luck with zucchini. (The hardest part is picking them in time. You go to bed one night thinking they are almost big enough only to wake up to zucchinis big enough to use to beat off a bear.)



The blueberry bushes are thriving, but we won't have a big crop the first year. Still, they will be a nice treat.



I'm really looking forward to the chard, though, and it isn't in the ground yet. 



We also have winter squash (butternut, I think), eggplant, tomatoes and pepper plants. They are growing slowly. The nights are still pretty cool here.




What's on my needles: The pullover for Jolena, Jenny Cable Jumper by Tanya Dubinina.

What's on my sewing machine: Put away for now.

What's in my hoop: Still the Whole Cloth Quilt. Another week with no progress.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: "Cats and Dogs," in which Freckles and Marmalade talk about the dolls.

What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow, which was excellent. I have another book by this author on my Audible wish list. Now listening to The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith (a.k.a. J. K. Rowling).

What's in my wine glass: Another Colossal Reserva from Casa Santos Lima. We have several bottles. It's pretty good.

What's my tip of the week: An old pair of pantyhose or nylon stocking can be used to make a great yarn sock. I pushed my newly-wound ball of yarn into the foot of the pantyhose, then cut the foot/leg off the right length (as for the two on the left). For the third ball of yarn, I knotted it first (right).







Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment