Monday, June 22, 2020

Is This the New Normal?

Jolena's Jenny Cable Jumper is finished.


There are some mistakes in the pattern, but it's a very nice design. The pattern is available here.


I made the placket version, which is designed to be lined with grosgrain ribbon and then have snaps sewn on. I didn't have the ribbon and didn't want to waste snaps when I have so many buttons in an appropriate color, so I crocheted SC stitches along the outside edge with a chain 5 where each of the buttons was.


I also knit the body in the round, but from the inside, so I was knitting all the sts instead of purling to get the reverse stockinette.

I managed to get some quilting in this week. Progress on my whole-cloth quilt is slow, but it's coming along. To make the cross-hatching, I quilt in zig-zags across a length of the quilt. This makes the stitching flexible, so the threads are not as easily broken or popped out of the fabric, as could be the case with sewing straight across in single lines.


Stay tuned. It will still be a while.

We got another crop of Golden Oyster Mushrooms. This "flush" wasn't as big, but that was good, because we had only just finished eating the last ones.


I've been making my own salad dressing. I use a Good Seasons jar, fill the vinegar to the -V-, water to the -W- and oil to the -O-. Then I throw in some seasonings. This one uses lemon juice, dill and Dijon mustard, but lemon juice is very sour, so I started out with water first and then the lemon juice in place of the water on the jar. Salt, pepper, 2 teaspoons of mustard, a tablespoon of chopped fresh dill (dried only takes 1 teaspoon) and topped off with olive oil.



In other news, I braved the outside world to visit the dentist. I had a good visit and was impressed with their precautions. They had patients wait in the parking lot until it was time for them to come in. They had hand sanitizer at the door. Masks were required by everyone inside. The counter now has a big clear-plastic wall separating patients from the office staff. You have to take off your mask for them to X-ray, clean and examine your teeth. Patients can only walk through the hall (wearing masks) one at a time, so I had to wait for someone else to depart.

The dogs went to the groomer. The procedures were the same as last time. Our groomer came out to get the pups and I handed her a check. We're wearing masks, all except the dogs.

We're continuing to have our weekly Zoom meetings.




What's on my needles: Just CO the Which Came First Shawl. I've named my project "The Egg Came First," because there were dinosaur eggs before there were chickens.

What's on my sewing machine: Still waiting, but I may have to get them set up for more masks.

What's in my hoop: Still the Whole Cloth Quilt. Another week with no progress.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: In this week's story, "All About the News," Mariah interviews Emil for an article for the school paper about a doll with a disability. Billy takes some photos, and the school newspaper uses one of them. It's all about journalism.



What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith. Now listening to My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand.

What's in my wine glass: Martha Clara Vineyards Pinot Noir 2016 from The North Fork of Long Island.

What's my tip of the week: An update on mask information can be found in this article. The bottom line recommendation is: Wear a mask. The Coronavirus seems to be found in the lower respiratory tract primarily. Being next to an infected person who is simply breathing is low risk, even indoors, although outdoors is safer regardless of what the person is doing. Singing, yelling, coughing, sneezing, etc., however, brings up moisture particles from the lower respiratory tract. (It is NOT okay to remove the mask to talk.) A single layer of quilting cotton provides some protection for the wearer, although the protection is greater for others. An increase in layers increases protection. (The masks I was making for the hospital provided eight layers if the filter is included, unless the folds need to open up to shape around the wearer's face. No mask is total protection, and the virus can enter through the eyes. If everyone wore a mask, protection to society would approach the effectiveness of a vaccine, but at virtually no cost, and we could have it now. It's an interesting article.



Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment