Monday, June 29, 2020

New Horizons

The whole-cloth quilt is coming along.



I'm working on what is in the lower left-hand corner in this photo. Quite a lot is done. I really should keep on it until it's done. It's a queen-size quilt. I'm not sure where it will go when I'm done with it, but I can see the end in sight.

The usual foods are growing, too. I have sprouts growing all the time. I've discovered that if I just use one tablespoon of seeds and let them grow longer, they will still fill the jar. This saves seeds. I also started some kimchi, because I've just finished what I had. This batch is just regular cabbage, because that was all we could get without going from store to store, which we're reluctant to do. People in our county are not required to wear masks in public, so we only go to stores that require them, so we couldn't get Napa or Savoy cabbage. I'm sure this will be fine, though. We ate the second "flush" of golden oyster mushrooms, and I'm spraying the mycelium to see if we can get a third one.



We have been getting some use out of our new air fryer. It's an Emeril Lagasse.



I've used it to make cottage fries and hash browns several times, and to make potato chips. I've used it to heat up garlic bread. I found out you can bake in it, and the kitchen doesn't heat up as much as the stove oven does. Since we had some hot weather, That's a real advantage. On Saturday I used it to make these chocolate-chip cookies . They were delicious. I only made four cookes for the two of us to enjoy then, but I made the dough balls for the whole recipe, which will make 16 cookies. I froze the extras, so I can just thaw and bake as needed. I put them on parchment paper on a cookie sheet and popped them into the freezer. When they were frozen hard, I dumped them into a freezer bag. I want to try this recipe from Epicurious for Air Fryer Crispy Herbed Chickpeas.

The garden is coming along slowly. I think the birds or squirrels have been getting the strawberries before they are ripe, but the plants seem to be thriving. The peas have found their supporting strings.



The zucchini plants are getting big.



The tomato, eggplant and other squash plants are doing well, and we will have some blueberries soon, if the critters don't get them.



The story this week required that I clean up my fiber studio, so I spent some time on that.



Speaking of The Doll's Storybook, our granddaughter received an iPod for her birthday this year. This one can be programed to allow her to visit websites her parents allow and to text with anyone who has an iPod or iPhone, also as allowed by her parents. She has been using it to read my stories. Here she is reading the story that came out on Friday. She sent me a text to say she liked the part where Billy looked up Chile on my computer.


We had some warm weather, but it always cools off at night. Since the sun comes up at an ungodly hour, I can get up, open up the house to let in the cool air, then put on my sleep mask and (maybe) go back to sleep. DH says when the current furnace dies, we can replace it with a unit that cools as well as heats. I can't wait.


What's on my needles: The Which Came First Shawl. Only one row finished, so not anything to show, but it's a start.

What's on my sewing machine: Other than to make a repair to a dog leash, neither sewing machine has seen any use this week.

What's in my hoop: Still the whole cloth quilt. Some progress this week.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: A Ski Trip for Jolena. Emil wonders why Jolena is packing, and Billy explains that there is snow in Chile, so Jolena and the team will be going there to practice.

What's on my iPad/iPhone: Still Listening to My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton and Jodi Meadows. (I left off two of the authors in last week's blog post. Sorry.) 

What's in my wine glass: Ray Road Proprietor's Reserve Red 2017.

What's my tip of the week: Basil and dill leaves are both good in sandwiches. If you have the plants growing in your garden (or indoors, as ours are), just pluck off a leaf or two. They add a lot of flavor. (Maybe not with peanut butter and jam, but with cheese, egg, lunchmeat, tuna and other savory fillings.)




Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment