Monday, March 30, 2020

Keeping Busy

The Main Memories Cardigan is finished. (Please excuse the coat hangers.)



The pattern is Midcoast by Jennifer Steingass. The pattern is for a pullover, but I don't do those anymore, so I steeked it to make a cardigan. I'm happy with the result. DH took these photos later:


Here's a shot of the back. This will be good for spring, as it's lighter-weight than most of my sweaters.


Now I've CO the Roadside Beanie, a kit I bought at For Yarn's Sake during the Rose City Yarn Crawl. I'm calling mine the "Bend in the Road Beanie," partly in honor of my (still new) hometown and partly because life has certainly gone around the bend.



I've managed to finish a few masks. I'm having to use a needle for jeans/denim, after breaking one. The lining is sheet fabric, and there are two layers with their seam allowance plus the pleats to sew through, so it's like sewing leather. I have more of these cut out. After I finish those, I plan to switch to this mask, which I think might be easier to sew and perhaps a more useful design.



Cooking from pantry has its excitement. I cooked up the last of the zucchini for Thai stir-fry with Trader Joe's Thai Red Curry Sauce. Usually I use faux chicken (Quorn Meatless Pieces), but we're all out. I had to get creative, and we had plenty of tuna, so I thought I would give it a try. We had it with brown rice. It was delicious! All I did was stir-fry the vegetables, and when I liked the doneness, I added the tuna and the sauce.



I still have 1 3/4 heads of green cabbage, 1 1/2 bunches of carrots, a large package of Tuscan Kale, potatoes and onions. Green or red cabbage will keep for a long time in the fridge if you don't cut it, but just peel off the leaves from the outside. It's a little more trouble, but when you're feeding just two, you don't need as much. It's the cut edges that spoil.

We have been walking less than usual, partly because of the weather (it has been cold) and partly because we're limited to one outing per day, on the honor system.  We're careful not to get too close to other people. We wave at each other as we pass. Dusty loves these outings, especially when he can get off-leash and chase the ball. He really tries to live up to his name.



Daphne and Zachary helped me with Friday's story with a brainstorming session on Saturday. We used FaceTime. I took some photos to use. A hint about the story: Daphne's Elizabeth and Zachary's Zachary Jr. will have parts to play.

Yesterday (Sunday) we used Zoom to visit with our three kids and their families. 



The Oregon grands are struggling with life with no school. A bright spot for Soren, though, was virtual speech therapy.



Life is certainly different now, but if enough people stay in, we may be able to slow down the spread of the COVID19 virus enough to where medical equipment, supplies and hospital space can catch up, and maybe treatments and vaccines will be available. I'm trying to decide what to wear to the online Easter service.


What's on my needles: "Bend in the Road Beanie," the Roadside Beanie.

What's on my sewing machine: More masks. I'll be giving a try to this mask.

What's in my hoop: Still the Whole Cloth Quilt. Another week with no progress.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: While the Cat's Away.... in which the dolls think about what to do with their free time while The Writer is away.

What's on my iPad/iPhone: Still The Vine Witch by Luanne G. Smith. About halfway through.

What's in my wine glass: H3 Horse Heaven Hills Red Blend "Les Chevaux" by Columbia Crest, 2014.

What's my tip of the week: DH found this great demonstration of how to bring groceries into your home without risking infection.







Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment