Monday, March 16, 2020

In My Cocoon

My Maine Memories Cardigan is coming along.


It has been a strange week, otherwise. We are in isolation. I've been confined to the house since Tuesday, when I started having mild chills. I can't say for sure I've been in contact with anyone who has the COVID-19 virus, but I could have been. I'm not having serious symptoms, so the only reason they would test me is because of my age. Since there's an extreme shortage of test kits in Oregon, I'm just behaving as if I tested positive, just in case. DH had to go to the dermatologist to have a serious thing removed from his back on Wednesday, but now he is quarantined with me, and I'm being careful not to infect him.

Washington Country, Oregon, which is where we were staying, had some new cases. The schools are closed as of today all over the state, and our son and DIL are working from home. This is what that looks like.


Some of the quilts I made for them have been put to use to make a fort in the front room.

Choir has been cancelled for a couple of weeks. That gave rise to some dark humor (not so dark as gallows humor, I hope).


Our choir director contributed this one:


This is probably my favorite.


We're getting low on fresh food, but I made this stew yesterday with most of the fresh vegetables: cabbage, yellow carrots, sweet peppers, mushrooms, onions, garlic, celery along with a package of dried Peruvian beans, a can of diced tomatoes and some seasonings (salt, pepper, basil, oregano, caraway seeds and bouillon cubes. I cooked the beans in the pressure cooker and added them to the sautéed vegetables, water and seasonings in the slow cooker. We have enough for about 3-4 more meals.


We're planning on watching/listening to the opera tonight. The Met has closed for the time being, so they are streaming encore productions every evening, beginning tonight. Find out more here.

The only crafting I've done this week is working on my Maine Memories Cardigan. I finished the sleeves.


Saturday night I cut the steek for the front. Now I've picked up the stitches for the right front band. I started with the turquoise yarn, but I didn't like how it looked directly on the purple without the white between them, so I pulled that out and started again with purple. I'm planning to enclose the raw edges. I still need to trim them, but I'll do that when I get the band finished. I'll need to order some pewter clasps.


What's on my needles: Just finishing up the Maine Memories Cardigan

What's on my sewing machine: Sitting idle.

What's in my hoop: Still the Whole Cloth Quilt. Another week with no progress.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: Staying Well. Charlotte and Emil are concerned about a friend whose human boy has the flu. The friend (a doll) is concerned that he might catch it and give it to his friends. Veronika explains how viruses spread, and what humans and dolls can do to prevent it.



What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished Amy Snow by Tracy Rees. It was an excellent story, and the mystery unfolded gradually, as it should. It was a Daily Deal from Audible awhile ago. Now I'm listening to The Vine Witch by Luanne G. Smith, also from Audible. Just starting. During our trip, we finished The Tower by Gregg Hurwitz. (I had already finished it, but DH hadn't, so I backed it up.) When we finished it, we listened to The Bone Farm by Dean Koontz. I had that ready, because I knew we would finish the Hurwitz novel long before we reached home. We actually sat in our driveway for about five minutes to listen to it.

What's in my wine glass: Sishaye Cinsault 2019, a red wine. "Sishaye" means "splash" in Zulu, unusual and very nice.

What's my tip of the week: A lot of misinformation has been spreading in the wake of the arrival of the COVID-19 virus. Useful information can be found at the CDC's website here. Facilities for testing vary according to geographical location. Call your local county health department or check its website for information.
It's possible to be symptom-free and still spread the virus. This is especially true for people who are between 20 and 39 years of age, who may never show symptoms and still can spread the disease. Don't go out unless you have to once the virus shows up in your area.



Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment