Monday, January 9, 2017

A Winter's Tale

The "So-not-my-palette Cardigan" is finished.


I elected to work two "afterthought pockets" in the front. I did this by picking up stitches where I wanted the pocket and working a ribbed band. Then I picked up stitches two rounds/rows above those stitches to make the pocket lining. 


If you pick up and knit at least one row before cutting the center stitch in the round/row between the two sets of picked-up stitches, it's easier to deal with the floats (strands that hang out in the back) created during the process of knitting with two colors. 

For blocking, I got out the wooly board. It took a few minutes to figure out how to put it together again. I set the wooly board with the washed (still wet) cardigan under a ceiling fan. In the morning, I added a smaller, tabletop fan to help finish the job.


When it was dry, I added some reinforcement stitches to some of the steek facings, using my sewing machine. Then I trimmed close to the stitching, and finally I sewed the facings down to the inside of the sweater using a blanket stitch.

With most of the family gone, I had a chance to have a look at some of the craft supplies I received for Christmas and birthday, which included a stack of fat quarters from The Stitchin' Post in Sister, OR, a special presser foot for my Featherweight with a built-in quarter inch (on top of the fat quarters) and some lovely yarn to make...a shawl, maybe? I sense a theme, colorwise.


Winter has continued to attack. This was our back deck after two days of sunlight and before this weekend's storm. That table is 60" in diameter, which should give you an idea of the depth of the snow.


DGD1 came here, not just for fun, but to work, doing photoshoots with models in SLC. She had to cancel a photoshoot on Thursday because of the snow. She has a two-wheel drive car, useful in California but not so good here in January. Wednesday, she couldn't even get back to the house, but had to park at a gas station down by the freeway at the foot of the road to our house. I had to go pick her up, and I felt as if I were taking my life in my hands, even with 4X4. I had to drive her back down there at 8:00 AM to get her car. Finally, on Friday (between storms), she packed up and moved to stay with a friend down in Salt Lake Valley, where they don't get so much snow.


Dusty is missing her. He evidently knows she hasn't left the state. He keeps going to the door and whining, but he doesn't want to go out.

What's on my needles: The Trickle Brick socks, again, but no progress so far this week.

What's on my Featherweight: Ready for new quilting. I used her to reinforce the steek facings for my "So-not-my-palette Cardigan," so she's still sitting out.

What's on my loom: Working on the scarf I started more than two years ago. 

What's on my wheel: Stanzi is set up again with more Full Circle spinning fiber.

What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished An Irish Country Christmas by Patrick Taylor, a delightful story. Now listening to Agatha Raisin and Quiche of Death by M. C. Beaton. A cozy mystery. I think there may be more in the series. Now reading Lord Haversham Takes Command by Heidi Ashworth on the Kindle app. There are a lot of grammar/typesetting errors, but the story is entertaining and sometimes funny.

What's in my wine glass: Crane Lake Malbec, always a good value.

What's my tip of the week: If you live in a place where you're subject to extreme cold in the winter time, leave the cabinet doors under the bathroom sinks open to enable heat to enter and protect your pipes from freezing. We learned this several years ago the hard way.


Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment