Monday, January 16, 2017

A Crazy Busy Week

This week saw me back at hand-quilting my "Sistine Chapel." 


The design the "Delectable Pathways" design by Mary Sorensen I started several years ago. This week I managed to finish quilting the center panel and am now working my way down one of the side panels.



Since I decided to give the scarf I'm weaving to DD, and the loom is operational again, I decided I'd better spend a little time each day working on it. I managed to complete another 12".

The yarn and fabric I received for Christmas/birthday have been prepared, the yarn for knitting and the fabric pressed to the right size for my fabric stash.



Looking at my resident dolls has been making me cold because they have almost nothing to wear, so I decided to take part in a doll KAL (knit-along) on Ravelry in the Debonair Designs for Dolls group. The KAL is for the Polarscape design by Deb Denair.



Our contractor came on Thursday to install the cabinets in the hall leading to our master bath. We had a lot of snow, so DH was out early, blowing the driveway to make room for the contractor's truck and providing some entertainment for our neighbors' puppy. Watch is a poodle mix one month younger than Dusty, but still growing.



We had to move a bunch of stuff to clear the area where the cabinets would go, so it was a busy couple of days. One of the pieces, a side panel for the taller section, was the wrong side, so we still don't have that on, and we're waiting for a mirror with an oak frame that will go over the lower section.




This will provide storage for shoes and clothes. The other side of the hallway is taken up with closet with sliding doors.

For this week's cuteness, here's a photo of Zachary, making breakfast for Zachary Jr. and Hannah. He will be a good daddy someday. He's so happy to have his own doll.





What's on my needles: The Polarscape doll sweater, getting close to joining the sleeves to do the yoke.

What's on my Featherweight: Still waiting for a new assignment.

What's on my loom: Progress on the scarf for DD. 

What's on my wheel: Stanzi is set up again with more Full Circle spinning fiber, no progress, however.

What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished Agatha Raisin and Quiche of Death by M. C. Beaton, then The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George, both from Audible. I would describe the second book as a poetic emotional roller coaster, well written and full of sensory input. Finished Lord Haversham Takes Command by Heidi Ashworth on the Kindle app. There were a lot of grammar/typesetting errors, but the story was interesting. Nothing new started yet.

What's in my wine glass: Big House "Prohibition Red" 2015, by the box. It will probably take us a week to get through it. At least it doesn't go off in the box.

What's my tip of the week: Hand-quilting a quilt with long straight lines doesn't require drawing on the fabric, if your long straight lines are as far apart as a strip of masking tape. It's best to leave the tape off when you stop quilting, but I haven't had it leave any sticky residue so far. The same strip can be used several times. I've found that the quilting is smoother if you always sew in the same direction, rather than going up one row of stitches and down the next.






Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment