Monday, March 30, 2015

Nonfat Jelly Rolls?

Well, some of them included fats (fat quarters)...cut into 2.5" strips. But you could make all these with Jelly Rolls, the non-fattening kind.


Members of Vintage Stitchers have been making quilts from Pam and Nicky Lintott's Jelly Roll Quilts. This book has been popular with members of our small minigroup.The first one is Janet's Bars of Gold. (By the way, the names are all the names from the book. Most of us have renamed our quilts, but if you have the book, this will tell you which quilt is featured in each photo. They are presented in the order they appear in the book.)

Here's Janet's Blue Lagoon:


Several of us made Sparkling Gemstones. This was my version:



I was the first one from our group to make this quilt. I realized that there was a problem with the piecing instructions, resulting in an extra seam that makes putting the blocks together difficult. (If you make this quilt, send me a PM before you start cutting, and I'll tell you what I did.) My friends in Vintage Stitchers who made this quilt followed my suggestion.

Here's Barbara's Sparkling Gemstones:



The back of Barbara's quilt features a great fabric:



This is Janet's version of Sparkling Gemstones:



Janet also made Civil War Scrappy, but with very different fabrics:


I made Pandora's Box out of batiks for our older granddaughter.


My Log Cabin Hidden Stars was for our second grandson, born during the year of the dragon, therefore the dragon appliqué.



Here's Barbara's Spiral Strips:


Daisy Chain was popular. Here's Janet's:


I made two Daisy Chains. Here's one:


The other is pretty much the same, but went to a different home.

Several of us made the Floral Bouquet. Here's Janet's:



And here's Carol's Floral Bouquet:



I used batiks to make the Floral Bouquet for our daughter and her family:



Here's Carol's Friendship Braid:



I used Twin Stars to make a baby quilt for our youngest grandson, born during the year of the horse. As was the case with the dragon quilt, the appliqué block was an addition to the pattern from the book:



Not from the book but present at Thursday's meeting were:

Carol's "Zig Zag"—



Carol's "Birds and Flowers"—



Barbara is proud of her peacock appliqué—



And her BOM stars—


Marilyn shared her panda quilt:



Not part of the Vintage Stitchers meeting (yet), my Pine Burr is moving along. Here's Block 15 (out of 16):


One to go!

We're going on a cruise this summer, so I'm starting to gather yarn and patterns for socks to take along, an easy project to travel with. So of course I had to stock up on some sock yarn at the Knit Picks sock yarn sale. (Sock yarn doesn't count as stash, I'm told.) I have lots of natural colors of Palette for the cardigan, but almost nothing in gray tones. In this order I got some Marble Heather and Pumice Heather Palette. The sock yarn I got was Blue Yonder Stroll Tonal, some Navy Stroll, then Stroll Tweed in Rabbit Heather, Firecracker Heather and Dill Heather. Also replenished my needles for socks and for the cardigan.


Also in preparation for the trip, I've been trying to finish off my Johan socks, started during our trip to meet Johan, our youngest grandchild...born in July. I was determined to finish the socks before I swatched for DH's March of the Fibres sweater. (He wants a cardigan.) I'll have to show you the swatch next week, but here are the socks, almost done.


Also this week, as Holy Week began, we presented selections from The Messiah with professional soloists and choir members from most of the churches and the synagogue in Park City. The audience could sing along to the chorus parts.


So, for this week's cuteness: Soren (by the window) and Johan (in Daddy's lap) on the Zoo Train.

What's on my needles: Working on the Johan Socks, second sock almost done.

What's on my Featherweight: Pine Burr, ready to start block 16.

What's on my wheel: Full Circle spinning fiber in "Pigeon."

What's on my loom: Still some warp for another scarf.

What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished listening to The Curse of the Blue Tattoo by L. A. Meyer, the second in the "Bloody Jack" series about a British street urchin who disguises herself as a boy to work as a cabin boy, from my library as an audio download on the Overdrive app. Then listened to Faro's Daughter by Georgette Heyer, also from the library on the Overdrive app. Now listening to False Colors, also from Georgette Heyer, but from Audible. Still reading Jennifer Coburn's Tales from the Crib, also on the Kindle app. Funny and poignant.

What's in my wine glass: Alice White Shiraz. The big bottle, to tantalize me. (I gave up my second glass of wine for Lent, and as we enter Holy Week, I'm starting to regret it. Looking for the biggest glass in the cabinet....)

Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment