Monday, March 9, 2015

Wow, What a Week!

The Spin-in finished on Monday.


My fiber was 4 oz. of hand-painted Polwarth wool roving from Greenwood Fiberworks in "Lavender Hedgerow."

I was really out of practice, so this was good for me. I worked on my long-draw, trying to do more long-draw and less modified long-draw. The Polwarth was nice to work with.

DGD1 started her new job at Park City Mountain Resort. They gave her the choice of skis or snowboard to use when she sweeps the slopes. That made her happy, because she prefers snowboarding to skiing, and she was able to pick up a used board from a friend for not too much money.

She has to be at work at 7:30 AM, and I've been getting up to make sure she's awake at 5:30 AM and help her get her breakfast and pack a lunch. I haven't been going back to bed, but on Sunday 5:30 was REALLY 4:30 AM. (How come we have to "spring forward" when it isn't even spring yet?) I took a half-hour nap after she left Sunday morning.

Getting up so early has given me more time to get things done.

At Common Threads this week, Karan was working on this cardigan: "Flying South," by Classic Elite. I like it so much, I've added it to my Ravelry queue.


I made a lot of progress on Pine Burr, finishing three blocks. Now half of the blocks are done.


The Brick cardigan is getting close to being finished. I have to put ribbing on the pockets, sew them down and make the front bands.


We finally got some snow. This is what it looked like coming off the roof, which explains why we don't let the pups out in the back at times like this.


The snowstorm followed by nice weather gave us an opportunity to go snowshoeing with the pups.

Sunday evenings are devoted to practice for The Messiah Project, which will be performed March 29th at The Eccles Theater in Park City.

What's on my needles: Brick Cardigan, finished the yoke. Also the second Martha Washington's Wreath appliqué block for my First Ladies quilt. Worked a bit on hand quilting my "Spring Flowers" quilt.

What's on my Featherweight: Pine Burr, ready to start block nine.

What's on my wheel: Full Circle spinning fiber in "Pigeon" I was spinning before the spin-in.

What's on my loom: Still some warp for another scarf, perhaps using the spinning from last weekend's spin-in, but still folded up.

What's on my iPad/iPhone: Music from Park City's Messiah Project. Finished Zero Day by David Baldacci from Audible, one of their "Daily Deals," then The Source by J. D. Horn, and now reading another book from the bargain aisle, Only the Innocent, by Rachel Abbott. Still reading Beyond the Cliffs of Kerry by Amanda Hughes on the Kindle app.

What's in my wine glass: Flipflop Left Coast Pinot Noir. "Medium-bodied, structured Pinot Noir with bright cherry, sweet spice and a supple, velvety finish." (I'm not sure how the finish is "supple," but it was nice.

What's my tip of the week: When plying or winding hand-spun onto a niddy noddy, place the yarn source a long way away from where you're working. The twist will even out as it has a chance to escape the tension on the bobbin.

Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment