Monday, April 6, 2015

Finishing, Starting and the Progress In-between

The Johan Socks are finished and on my feet!


As mentioned in my March 23rd blog post, I made the bottom of the heels double-stranded. The yarn is Stroll Tweed in "Flagstone Heather."

I went for a walk in these socks and couldn't feel the thicker part, so I will be doing this on future socks. Almost immediately, I cast on Cookie A's "Sunshine" socks.

The first sock is moving right along:


This pattern is from her book Sock Innovation and the yarn is Regia 4-fädig with the exciting color name "00017," which I would describe as a pale tan. I really need some neutral-colored socks, so this was next on my list.

The book came out six years ago and was the subject of an active KAL on the Knitting Community. The first printing had a lot of errata, which I dutifully printed off and stuck in my book. I had planned to have it spiral-bound, with a pocket for all the errata, when I discovered that there was a Kindle version of the book, with the errors fixed, available for not much more than the spiral-binding would cost. I added the book to my iPad, which I plan to take with me when DH and I take our trip to Europe this summer to celebrate our survival of 50 years together (wedding anniversary in September). I had planned to take the book as well as the iPad, because socks are a very portable project, perfect for the plane and other sitting around. Now I have the book on my iPad, which weighs the same as it did before I downloaded the book.

In the fiber studio, the final Pine Burr block, #16, is done.


From the blocks, I moved on to the paper-pieced cornerstones (don't know what else to call them). There are 36. I made about 15 a day. I've found that with paper-piecing, the first few go together slowly, while I figure out how to do it. Then they move along nicely.


Now I'm putting together the sashing, pieced and solid cornerstones, and blocks.

Common Threads met his week at Georgette's. She lives just up the street from me, so I walked, in spite of the snow.

Karan brought her hot-air balloon mobile project.


Janalee made this Roundabout Ribbed Baby Vest for a friend's baby.


Margareth is making the Picot Boo Cardigan.

She just got a great deal on a new expensive and fancy sewing machine. I can't wait to see what she does with it.

Thursday we (DH and I) celebrated the 50th anniversary of the day we became engaged. I posted this on Facebook:

April 2, 1965.
Charlie: I don't want to get married.
Me: Who asked you?
Charlie: How about September?
Me: For what?
Charlie: The wedding.
Me: Are you sure?
Charlie: Yes.
Me. OK. [Kisses.] You should have asked me yesterday.
Charlie: Why?
Me: Yesterday was April Fool's Day.
Charlie: I thought today was April Fool's Day!
Lesson—
Always know what day it is.
#TBT

I'm not the only one in the family with a sense of humor. Maybe that's one reason we've lasted 50 years.

Sunday's Easter service included some great music fairly well performed by our choir
For some added Cuteness, here's Zachary (who will be three on Wednesday) and Daphne in their new hand-me-down jammies.
What's on my needles: Working on the "April Sunshine" socks. No progress on the second "Martha Washington's Wreath" appliqué block for my First Ladies quilt this week, but worked on hand quilting my "Spring Flowers" quilt.

What's on my Featherweight: Pine Burr quilt, putting blocks and sashing together.

What's on my wheel: Full Circle spinning fiber in "Pigeon."

What's on my loom: Still some warp for another scarf.

What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished Wards of Faerie, The Dark Legacy of Shannara, by Terry Brooks, which was a special deal from Audible. It kept me interested. I think I may have to get more in the series. (My public library has some of them.) now I'm listening to the third in the "Bloody Jack" series by L. A. Meyer, Under the Jolly Roger, from the library on the Overdrive app. Still reading Jennifer Coburn's Tales from the Crib, on the Kindle app. New to my Kindle app is Cookie A's Sock Innovation (as mentioned above).

What's in my wine glass: Concannon Selected Vinyards Petite Syrah 2012, one of our favorites, and great with chocolate.

What's my tip of the week: If you brush your dogs teeth, it will reduced the number of times they need cleaning at the vet's. Since I started brushing our pups' teeth several years ago, they haven't needed professional cleaning at all, and I've just found out we can go another year. This saves money and helps them avoid exposure to anesthesia. Two things I've learned about brushing their teeth: 1) Only the outside surfaces of the teeth need brushing, so you can hold their jaws shut and reach inside each cheek, thus avoiding tongue action. The back teeth are more important. 2) Our pups are used to having their teeth brushed right before we go to bed, so they don't resist. Most dogs are creatures of habit and will get used to an activity that's repeated at regular intervals or under the same circumstances. I use (human) baby toothbrushes for them, because they're fairly small dogs. You can buy doggy toothpaste online or at pet stores. I brush each side for about 35 seconds.


Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment