Sunday, May 8, 2011

High Fiber--Spring at Last???

The front deck is getting more sun all the time. You can see that Rocky got to the sunny spot first.


 



 


The snow is melting...melting...melting, but we're supposed to get more tonight. Spring at last? Not until the pups can go out in the backyard without being able to walk over the fence and escape! The top of the fence shows through the snow, so it won't be long.


 


The pups went to the groomer on Monday, and Tuesday was Sunny's and my day to visit the nursing home so Sunny could give pet therapy. I just go along to drive the car because Sunny's feet don't reach the pedals. She is pretty much back to normal after her surgery.


 


Wednesday was the opening of registration for Sock Summit, and I signed up for two half-day classes and a one-hour class. It will be held July 28-31 at the Oregon Convention Center in Portland. DDIL2B will be going with me. She signed up for the all-day beginning sock class.


 


Common Threads met on Thursday at Georgette's house. Mmmmmm, French toast and fruit! Georgette is a great host. Here she shows off one of the scarves she has been making for Christmas presents:


 



 


Here's a look at the yarn she's using:


 



 


She has this in an assortment of colorways. It's expensive yarn, but the scarf doesn't take much, so for not too much money, she has a nice gift for a friend.


 


Ellen and I went into Salt Lake City on Friday, so I could get some backing fabric for the quilts I'm working on. One place we stopped was Whimsy Cottage, which has moved to 1875 Murray-Holladay Rd. Wow! What a nice space they have now! This met us as the entrance:


 



 


I love this space to sit and look at books or work on your applique, hand-quilting or even knitting.


 



 


The employees are experienced quilters and can answer questions.


 



 


Ellen found some quilts to admire in the classroom area in the back.


 



 


If you click on the link for Whimsy Cottage (above), you can take a video tour, which shows a lot more than these few still shots could do.


 


I was exhausted when I got home, but had the energy to sew the buttons on the blocked Peapod Cardi:


 



 


I bought the buttons while Ellen and I were in Salt Lake City. (They really match better than shows in this photo.) The Yarn is Swish DK in Peapod. The basic pattern is the Classy Unisex Cardigan by Debbie O'Neill from Knit On Down. I improvised the pea pod border instead of using the herringbone rib used in the pattern. If you want the chart for knitting the pea pods, PM me with your email address, and I'll send it to you. It was fun to do!


 


Daphne's birthday package went in the mail on Saturday and included a couple of summer dresses that will go with the sweater and some toys for the birthday girl. The package is due to arrive there on Tuesday, well ahead of her birthday, which is next Saturday. I can't believe it has been a year already! I hope to have some photos to show off next week.


 


Saturday DH and I took the dogs for a hike. My friend and neighbor Lynda and her dog, Porter, came along. We hit the trail at Mormon Flats. The water level in the stream was high because the snow has been melting so fast.


 



 


We encountered a pair of Sandhill Cranes and a pair of young moose, probably twins whose mother had turned them loose to fend for themselves.


 



 


Sunday was fun. Mother's Day. We were able to Skype with Daphne and her parents, followed by another Skype session with DS2 and DDIL2B, and finally a late call from DS1 and DDIL. Daphne is really walking well now (no can-can yet) and has added "apple juice" to her list of words. I was amazed how clearly she says it! It's hard to believe it has already been nearly a year since I made that wild dash across five states to meet her!) DS2 and DDIL2B bought their rings and say they are probably 75% finished with preparations for the wedding. DDIL is doing well recovering from her car accident, now that they discovered a broken bone in her foot and are treating her for it. The biggest problem is that it's her pedal foot for sewing! Quilting will be difficult for a while!


 


It will be nice to get back to Mitts of Steal! I have some yarn planned for the next pair!


 



We still need lots more mitts, so if you like working on a quick, fun project, cast on! Join our Ravelry group if you like!


 


What's on my needles: More Mitts of Steal and "The shawl."
What's on my wheel: The Olive Green Corriedale.
What's in my hoop: The languishing hand-pieced quilt.
What's on my iPad: Now watching the video of BBC's "Pride and Prejudice" with Colin Firth. Halfway through. Also loading up with more audiobooks from Audible and the library.
What's my app of the week: Mailshot. It allows you to build a mailing list for a quilting or knitting group.
What's in my wine glass: Naked Earth Organic 2008 red. Yum!


Note: This blog post was produced entirely on the iPad. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, not even my MacBook, and no Windows were opened, waited for or cleaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment