Monday, April 25, 2011

High Fiber—Tulip Time!

But not for us! (Sigh!)



The leaves are starting to peek through, but we won't have the flowers for another month. Still, we have beauties to enjoy, so we can't complain!

I finished the latest mitts for Mitts of Steal. If anyone wants to help, please contact me. I'm currently collecting fingerless mitts for another dialysis clinic in Beaverton. I'll deliver them when I'm there in July. The cuffs need to be no longer than 3" and the mitts should have a thumb, open at the top, so patients can text, knit or read while undergoing treatment.



The pattern is the "Horseshoe Mani Mitts" by Becky Bair (KnitterGirl39) and should be available soon. I was one of the knitters who volunteered to test the pattern. It was very easy to follow. It calls for fingering weight yarn. (I used Imagination in Woodsman.) If you want something for thicker yarn, I can recommend Becky's "Midnight Sky Mitts," available here:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/midnight-sky-mitts

This one calls for holding sport weight yarn double, which is the equivalent of worsted weight. I made a pair each way (one pair with two strands of sport and one pair with worsted weight) and this pattern was easy to follow, too. The mitts take a lot less yarn than to make socks. You can get a pair from about the amount it would take for one sock of equal weight yarn.

Common Threads met on Thursday. Georgette was finishing up a baby blanket.



Lynda helped with the edging. They did two rounds of single crochet all around it. It turned out great!



Thursday night we had a Christian Seder at our church. It was fun learning about the different parts of the Seder with others in our congregation.



Then the priests and the members of the altar guild stripped the altar in preparation for Good Friday.

I CO for Daphne's birthday sweater. I'm hoping it will be pretty big on her. I'm basing it on the "Classy Unisex Cardigan" from Knit on Down by House of White Birches. I'm using Knit Picks Swish DK in Peapod.



The ground is starting to appear from under the snow in some places in our yard. A little patch of vegetation attracted this young neighbor for lunch on Saturday.



Sunday was Easter, of course. Here's the St. Luke's choir singing Vivaldi's Gloria. (I'm the last woman on the left, right next to the men.)




The tulips will come, but in the meantime, there's still time to enjoy the snow with DH and the pups!




What's on my needles: Still the baby alpaca shawl and now Daphne's green cardigan.
What's on my wheel: Still the Louet Corriedale in Olive Green
What's in my hoop: The hand-pieced LeMoyne Star quilt, hibernating.
What's on my spindles: Still the Louet Corriedale in Aqua and the Ashford Mulberry.
What's on my iPad: I just downloaded the BBC version of "Pride and Prejudice! My first video! I'm still listening to The Passage. It will probably take another week to hear the rest of it.
What's my app of the week?: Azul. It lets me view just about any video.
What's in my wine glass: "Two Buck Chuck" (aka Charles Shaw) Merlot.


Note: This blog post was produced entirely on the iPad. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, not even my MacBook, and no Windows were opened, waited for or cleaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment