Tuesday, April 19, 2011

High Fiber—Special Delivery

Daphne needs an Easter chick for her first Easter, so I made her one.



I will send it on its way today. Ravelry members can see how I did it here. I used Swish DK in Bare and Di.Vé Cipria in yellow, held together, and Stroll fingering weight yarn to embroider the eyes and beak. It's about 2 1/2" high. Daphne should be able to hold it in her hand but not get the whole thing in her mouth to create a choking hazard.

The felted bag I made for my iPad got its lining.



This bag is made just like the other one I made, only this one is made so the iPad goes in vertically instead of horizontally. That leaves the earbud jack and the wake/sleep button exposed.

The latest quilt top is not finished but all the blocks are now together:



This is the "Sparkling Gemstones" quilt from Jelly Roll Quilts by Pam and Nicky Lintott. It still needs a border.

What would I do differently? I would absolutely wait to add the background strips until the blocks were put together and eliminate the seam in the middle of each background section. I had a very difficult time trying to match up those seams with the block seams so they nestled properly. Pressing instructions would have been helpful, too. It was good I checked how the seams went together as I went along. Anyone making this quilt, let me know if you have problems. It's more difficult than it looks, which was a surprise to me.

Big event of the week: First delivery of Mitts of Steal! AngelKarhu took the first batch of 50 pairs to the first clinic for distribution to dialysis patients. A special delivery indeed! I wasn't there, but photos were taken, so I'll try to get one or two for a later blog post. She's now collecting for the next clinic, another one near her. I hope to be present for the next distribution, since I have to be in the area anyway.

In the meantime, I started another pair:



This is KnitterGirl39’s pattern. I'm using some Imagination in Woodsman from my stash.

I'm enjoying having a "mother ship" for my iPad, my new (refurbished) MacBook. As you can see, it has plenty of ram.



The iPad is the real workhorse, though. It's on most of the day for various functions. The MacBook is great, but I love the touch screen on the iPad, to say nothing of the portability and the fact that it's big enough that I can type on the on-screen keyboard as fast as on any keyboard I've had. I can't believe I've had my iPad a year already! (Our anniversary is this week.)

The snow is melting at last! The downside is, we're subject to sudden slides of icebergs from the roof:



Good thing the pups weren't standing there! (Sunny is back to normal after her surgery. She has to have broth every day, though, to prevent a recurrence of bladder stones. I'll spare you a photo of the stones, though.)

I promised a gratuitous baby photo, so here's Miss Daphne at 11 months mugging for the camera with Daddy! Boy, does she know what the camera is for!




What's on my needles: Still the baby alpaca lace shawl and the Mitts of Steal in the photo above.
What's on my wheel: Louët Corridale in Olive Green
What's in my hoop: A quilt I have been working on for years. (Photo in a later post.)
What's on my spindles: Louët Corriedale in Aqua on the Turkish, Ashford Mulberry on my Golding Tsunami.
What's on my iPad: The Passage by Justin Cronin (A marathon listen, but fascinating. I'm getting my money's worth with one credit from Audible!)
My iPad app of the week: Zinio, hands down! I just bought my first eMag subscription for my iPad through Zinio: "Knitting Traditions." I also downloaded the free first issue of "Entangled," a fiber eMagazine. My iPad didn't get heavier, either!
What's in my wine glass: Woodbridge Zinfandel 2008, although by the time you read this, the glass will have been washed and put away!

Note: This blog post was produced entirely on the iPad. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, not even my MacBook, and no Windows were opened, waited for or cleaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment