Monday, April 20, 2020

Workshop!

The work table is full! 


Full of masks in various stages of construction, from washed, uncut fabric in the foreground, to cut-out pieces matched with the best thread from my collection, to pieces with the folds and folded-tape ties pressed and ready to be sewn, to finished masks. The count for the hospital is at 58 and growing. The tutorial for the pattern I'm using is here.

I gave our mail carrier one of these, along with a homemade filter and the metal nose piece from my BIL. I plan to give one to the young woman who brings my groceries out to the car.


Here are the masks that went into the bag ready to be picked up by a family friend who is a surgeon at the hospital.


My back was bothering me, mostly from standing at the ironing board ironing the folded-tape ties, so I called The Quilt Basket (formerly BJ's Quilt Basket), my local quilt shop, on Tuesday to see if they had one of these bias tape makers. They are open for business, but you can't go inside. I ordered over the phone, then drove over there and called them from the parking lot. I left my door open and stood back. Someone came out, tossed it into the car, waved, and I was on my way home. I bought a yard of fabric, too, just to support the shop, which I'm sure is having difficulty right now. They ship free for orders over $80. They have kits for the masks I'm making for $10, which will make 10 masks, so that's only $1 each mask. They also have free kits donated by people who don't sew or have enough money to share. (I didn't need a kit.)

The bias tape maker I bought is designed for fusible bias tape, but it works fine, and they knew exactly which size I needed. It has really saved my back!

When I'm too tired to stay on my feet anymore, I can knit. I finished the "Bend in the Road" hat (Roadside Beanie by Oliver Henry and Sandra Manson). I blocked it on a Tupperware head lettuce bowl. (Those black things are supposed to be fishing boats.)


I think it's a pretty design.


Here it is, all blocked and ready to wear, just in time for summer.


Then I started the "Charlie's Kep" (Katie's Kep by Wilma Malcolmson, which is free right now). It comes in these colorways. Charlie picked the last one in this photo, but it's Colorway #2 in the pattern.


Here are the actual colors in the kit from For Yarn's Sake in Beaverton (online store open). They will ship to anywhere in Oregon for free. I assume they will ship elsewhere, too, but with appropriate shipping costs.



The ribbing is done. On to the pattern!


In other news, I started another batch of kimchi and our first batch of sprouts in many years. 


My sprouting jar is a one-quart canning jar fitted with a screen in the lid. I bought these seeds from iHerb.


Here's a look at the seeds as they start to sprout.


At harvest, the two tablespoons of seeds yield a quart of fresh sprouts for salads or
sandwiches.


Sunday's church service was still celebrating Easter.


(Photos seem to be disappearing from my regular blog posts and the posts in The Doll's Storybook. I'm not sure why this is happening. They are not linked to another site, but loaded directly into the blog.)



What's on my needles: Charlie's Kep (Katie's Kep), 

What's on my sewing machine: More masks.

What's in my hoop: Still the Whole Cloth Quilt. Another week with no progress.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: Unmasked! A Retelling of an Old Story. A very real fairy tale.

What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished Spring Magic by D. E. Stevenson, then listened to A Curious Beginning by Deanna Raybourn, a new author for me, introduced through an Audible Daily Deal. Now listening to Rachel Abbott's Right Behind You.

What's in my wine glass: Martha Clara Vineyards' 2014 Malbec "Oregon Road" from The North Fork of Long Island. Excellent.

What's my tip of the week: If you have a mask that has a pocket for a filter, you can use a coffee filter, according to this article in The New York Times. Other things can be used as a filter, but some are dangerous to breathe through unless you have a layer of fabric between your nose and the filter. Coffee filters are safe, just fold them to fit



Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment