Monday, April 13, 2020

This Is Our New Life

I finished the masks for family members, and they have gone to their new homes. Our granddaughter's birthday doll arrived in Wisconsin on Saturday. About Wednesday I began making them for the hospital.



Fortunately, the hospital has enough for right now, but we aren't scheduled to reach our peak until the 26th, so they will be needing them soon. I do a lot of the cutting first. That way, I don't have to keep looking at the measurements but have them in my head. 



Then I chain-piece the steps I can, like doing all the hems at once. (I can do this if I have a lot of masks that can use the same color thread.



Then I cut out more, and change the thread as needed.



The tutorial I made for myself and others is here.

I communicated by text with our DIL's friend, who is a surgeon at our local hospital. She will pick up the masks on her way to work. When they have enough there, I'll continue to make them for the local police.

I finished the knitting on my Bend in the Road Beanie. Just the ends to weave in and then blocking. I'm planning to make one for DH, only using a different pattern.



I had another story out on Friday, but I also added this to The Doll's Storybook's Facebook page. Emil was wondering if the birds that hatch from these eggs were going to be pretty colors like the eggs.



Friday morning I went to Fred Meyer (Kroger Co.) to pick up my grocery order. I filled up the tank with gas while I was there. I had my mask on but the attendant didn't have one. He took the card from me, rather than keeping his distance. When I got the card back, I sprayed it with alcohol and wiped it off before putting it away. Fortunately, it's unlikely that he's carrying the virus, as none of our county's cases originated in Bend. This is good practice, even if the risk is low.

Getting the groceries went better. I parked in one of the Click List stalls, called the store to let them know I was there, then opened the back of the car. The woman brought the bags and put them into the back while I stood 6' away. Then I closed the door. I cleaned everything when I got home, including everything I touched on the car.

Holy Week services were entirely online. I found them just as satisfying as in-person services. (Yes, those are bunny ears on our priest. He always greets the children first.) We were able to greet each other and make comments during the service without disturbing anyone. There were only six people in the church, and they had the service choreographed so they didn't come within six feet of each other.



Maybe the sense that we're going through the experience of having to remain isolated and sharing it with all humankind has added more than what not being there in person takes away, if that makes sense. The Easter service was inspiring. The sermon related the experience of the disciples and friends of Jesus with what we're going through together. (It was available on YouTube and on Facebook. The link is to YouTube.)



The family had its weekly Zoom party after church. Our niece and our adult granddaughter joined us this week for the first time. It was good hearing what everyone was up to and to know that they are all well and coping with their situations. Our older son, his daughter (our oldest grandchild) and our niece's husband are all still working in essential jobs, so they are having to take precautions to protect themselves.



We try to walk every couple of days. We see other people out, but we keep our distance. Each entrance to the Larkspur Trail has a sign telling people what the new rules are for using the trail. Most people seem to be cooperating.




Everyone stay safe. We will get through this if we work together.

What's on my needles: The Bend in the Road (The Roadside Beanie) is technically off the needles, but I need to weave in the ends. This one didn't have a steek, so I can't hope to hide the ends with a facing or anything.

What's on my sewing machine: Masks, masks, masks!

What's in my hoop: Still the Whole Cloth Quilt. Another week with no progress.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: Making Do. The car has broken down, and each doll has to figure out what to give Mandy for her birthday without going out to shop.

What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished The Bridge to Belle Island by Julie Klassen and now listening to Spring Magic by D. E. Stevenson, one of my favorite authors.

What's in my wine glass: Charles Shaw Cabernet Sauvignon, a staple in our wine cellar.

What's my tip of the week: To make ties for these masks, I save a little time and trouble by inserting pins a few inches apart into my ironing-board cover, putting the pins through the fabric cover once and then again about the distance apart I want the tie to be with the edges folded over, in this case 3/4". I insert the fabric under first one pin and then the other. Then I put the iron down on the space between the pins and leave it down as I pull the tie through, guiding the edges of the fabric so they are about equal in size. (Please excuse the discolored cover.)



I need to fold it over again, so without removing the tie from under the pins, I fold it over and then put the iron back in place. I use a spray bottle with water if needed, but if you have water in your iron you wouldn't need to.

Bonus tip: If you have a spare spray bottle or can get one, you can put rubbing alcohol in it and use that with paper towels as a substitute for disinfecting wipes, which are hard to find right now. I had a couple of spray cleaner bottles, neither of which was full, so I consolidated the cleaner into one bottle, washed the other and put my alcohol in it. I labeled it, so I knew which bottle to use for disinfecting.



This is our new life for a while.


Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment