Monday, February 5, 2024

Never a Dull Moment!

Clue #3 of the Rose City Yarn Crawl Mystery Knit Along is done:


This coming Wednesday Clue #4 will come out. I've heard that there will be more beads in the project, but not as many as were in Clue #1. I don't know if we'll see that this week, though. The instructions had us break off Color A at the end of Clue #3, so I don't know if it will come back in again or if the rest of the shawl will be only Color B, which in my case is purple. It's a mystery KAL, after all. Blocking will make a big difference in the shape of this project, as the cables from Clue #2 are holding that section in. There's a lot of play in the stitches, though, so it should block out nicely.

I found some fabric that will be suitable for pajamas for a boy doll. On Saturday I cut out the pieces.


Sunday afternoon I got busy sewing the pieces together. I used my Checkered Shirt Pattern, printed at 80%, which is what I use for the Little Kidz dolls. Close enough. I left off the cuffs and pocket, which is what I usually do for pajamas. Cuffs are very hard to put on by machine when the sleeve is so narrow, and I've learned from experience that pockets in pajamas are a bad idea.

The pants are quick and fairly straightforward. The tie in front is decoration only. The pants have an elastic waist.


The shirt is a little more involved. The pattern explains how, though. Even though I designed and wrote the pattern, I had to look at the step-by-step directions.


Here it is from the back:


I still have some more things to make for Alex. (I'm calling him Alex, because that's the name he came with, but Zachary might think of a new name for him.)

When I took Zachary's quilt to the quilter, I stopped at a natural food store close to her home, so I could look for red lentils. I had been looking in all the stores near us for them, but everyone was out except for Whole Foods, and they had them for a price I considered exorbitant and way out of line for similar things they sell. It was nice to find them finally, so it was time for an Indian meal. I fixed some Cucumber Raita.


That needs to sit in the fridge for a while, so the flavors mingle. I started the slow cooker with the Indian Spiced Red Lentil Soup with greens.


We had some Garlic Naan in the freezer, so I got that out to complete the meal. We really enjoy Indian food, and this recipe is a favorite.

We were all getting "cabin fever," so while the weather was fairly nice, we went on some walks. One was our usual walk through the juniper woods near our home.


If no one is around, we can let the pups off-leash for a bit, so they can chase each other. They get more exercise that way than just walking at our speed. We do pick up after them, though, so we have to keep an eye open for everything they do.


Another day we walked to Ponderosa Park, where there is a large big-dog off-leash area and a smaller, grassy area for the little dogs. Just walking there and back is nearly 1 1/2 miles. I stopped the Walk for a Dog app when we got there and started it again when we left to come back. This only shows the trip there, but the route back is exactly the same route, only we left from the little dog park, which is to the left on the map.


After playing with some big dogs for a while (where I sat demurely on the bench where I wouldn't get knocked over) the pups were ready to move into the small-dog area. There were no small dogs there, but it's nicer because of the grass. We had brought two balls to throw.


The dogs had a good time, and everyone got plenty of exercise.


We had to take a couple of days off from walking after that. My knee and hip were sore that night, I think not from walking, but from repetitive picking the ball up off the ground. Those two days I exercised the dogs by sitting at the top of the stairs and throwing the ball down them. Sandy always brings the ball back, and Dusty is starting to learn from him. I didn't have to bend over to pick up the ball, so it gave me a chance to recover. Saturday I was ready to walk the dogs again.

Friday Soren had dental surgery. He had some baby teeth and an odontama (a calcareous growth) removed. They are usually benign.


What a champ!

I have a lot of difficulty responding to comments to my blog posts because of technical issues beyond my control (my lack of understanding of how things work). Message me on Facebook, Ravelry or Spoutible if you need information.

If you have a few minutes and are willing, please go to Amazon and B&N and search for "Our Favorite Verses: Poems from The Doll's Storybook by Peggy Stuart". Every click on the page for the book makes it more likely they will keep a good supply in their warehouse and stores. If you are outside the US, you may have a separate website for these retailers. If you have a copy of any of our books, including Emil, Mariah or Classic Tales Retold, please leave an honest review on the websites, especially if you bought from them.


Where's my blog: If you want to follow my blog, go here and sign up to follow.

What's on my needles: Still the Happier Days Shawl, which is the Mystery KAL for the Rose City Yarn Crawl 2024. I'm waiting for Clue #4 on February 7th. Also trying to start the Milk Thistle Shawl, for which I have the kit. I wasn't happy with how it was looking, so I ripped it out again. I'm going to have to get clarification for making the herringbone stitch with I-Cord and increases. The video the designer made wasn't clear enough about where she picked up the stitches for the increases.

What's on my loom: Still folded up

What's on my sewing machine: Still the binding for Zachary's quilt and clothes for his birthday doll Alex.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: Welcoming a Stranger––A Fairy Tale. This will be a familiar story to everyone.


What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished listening to Another Time, Another Place , #12 in "The Chronicles of St. Mary's" by Jodi Taylor. Now listening to The Martian by Andy Weir.
Also still reading Harry Potter und die Kammer des Schreckens by Joanne K. Rowling (in German), the physical book, which I received for my birthday. Getting close to the end.

What's in my wine glass: Sancho Garcés Tempranillo (Rioja) 2017 from Spain. A nice red.

What's my tip of the week: When I'm knitting something that has a periodic (like every other row) increase and I'm supposed to keep increasing until I reach a certain number of stitches I count the stitches I already have to a reasonable round number, like in this case, 100, and put a stitch marker right there. I had 113 stitches when I started Clue #3, so an additional stitch marker at 100 wouldn't interfere with the markers I was already using to remind myself that the last three stitches are slipped at the end of the row instead of knitted. I needed to keep going until I had 146 stitches before the last pattern repeat, which was the same except that for the last two rows you don't change color. If I wanted to check my progress while working on this section, I only had to count the stitches to the left of the stitch marker. When I had 46 stitches after the marker, I counted them all to be sure, but there was no need to count the first 100 stitches every time.


Where are my books: The stories in each book first appeared in the blog and they are reproduced with a few changes. 
Our Favorite Verses: Poems from The Doll's Storybook is available from the BookBabyBookshop and other booksellers worldwide. Poems included are Valentine's DayKeeping PetsBack to School, Victor the VultureThe Week Before Christmas, Insomnia and Veronika's Vocabulary Verses.
The stories in Classic Tales Retold: Stories from The Doll's Storybook are Little Green GreatcoatThe Boy Doll Who Cried Wolf and Lost in the Woods.
Emil: Stories from The Doll's Storybook and Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook are also still available from booksellers. The link for Book Baby is hereThe three stories in Emil are Best BudsGetting What You Want, and The Boys Cook Dinner.
The three stories in Mariah are Being LittleBesties, and Distraction.
If you don't get free shipping from Amazon or B&N, buy from the BookBabyBookshop, because 50% of the price goes to St. Jude. Other booksellers pay much less. 


Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

<a class="blsdk-follow" href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/highfiber-7365001" target="_blank" data-blsdk-type="button" data-blsdk-counter="false">Follow</a><script>(function(d, s, id) {var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if (d.getElementById(id)) return;js = d.createElement(s);js.id = id;js.src = "https://www.bloglovin.com/widget/js/loader.js?v=1";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, "script", "bloglovin-sdk"))</script>

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7365001/?claim=kkvctsdtf4n">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>   

No comments:

Post a Comment