Monday, February 12, 2024

Dogs, Kids and Food.

It's been a quiet week in the Stuart household....

I lied. It has been the usual craziness. We have had some quiet moments, though. Besides lounging on the cushion that has become a dog bed with his brother, Sandy has taken to snoozing in the rocking chair, the way Rocky used to do. He likes to store up energy for another go at the zoomies.

A neighbor brought her little boy over to play with the dogs. They were here for more than and hour, and the dogs loved it. Colin is allergic to dogs, and the family had planned to get a golden doodle puppy this month, but when they went to meet the puppy that was supposed to have the right genetic background to be hypoallergenic (from the poodle) he was clearly allergic to it. Mom wanted to see if a pure poodle would work. I haven't heard, but he had no problems while he was here. (People who are allergic to dog saliva, rather than to the dander, can still be allergic to poodle saliva, although, according our breeder, allergy shots now can take care of that.)

Sandy turned 13 months old yesterday. He is now over 24 lbs., more than a pound more than a months ago, so he's still growing, if more slowly. We try to walk with the dogs when the weather is nice enough. It has been getting pretty cold, but then it warms up, so when it snows, the snow usually doesn't stick around for long. Mud season lasts a lot longer here than it did in Summit Park. The trail isn't usually too muddy, though.

I managed to get some knitting in. I finished Clue #3 for the Rose City Yarn Crawl on February 2, so I needed something to work on. I have put the Milk Thistle kit aside for now. I want to go to the shop that has the sample and see (maybe take photos) of where the herringbone stitch section meets the I-cord. The designer has a video, but I couldn't see the stitch she picked up to make the increases. My new character, Pam, needs clothes, so I cast on the Everyday Play dress in the size that fits Little Kidz. 

It's a pretty easy and straightforward knit, so it's great for mindless knitting. I've already joined the two ends below the button placket and have been knitting in the round.

Clue #4 for the Rose City Yarn Crawl Mystery KAL was available when I got up on Wednesday morning. I put my stitch markers back in, because I could see they would be useful for this section.

There's a cable in this clue. The beads are added, some on the front and some on the back, depending on whether the stitch with the bead is a knit or a purl. I love how where the cables come together looks with the beads.

On Saturday, I was just working the wrong-side row before the next cable and bead row, when Sandy came and put his paws in my lap. When he got down again, he accidentally pulled the needle cable out of one of the needles. Fortunately, it was the stitches I had just finished on that side. Some of the stitches raveled making a run/ladder, and those needed to be salvaged when I got all the stitches back on the needle. I was able to get them all straightened out, but it took some time.

I was very thankful that it was the row before the cable/bead row and not that row or the one after it. I might not have found the beads in the carpet. As it was, I had to get down on the floor and look around for my markers. It's a good thing Sandy is cute! It was an accident, though, and he has gotten very good at leaving my knitting alone. However, he took my reading glasses out to the backyard again and removed a lens. Good thing I have spare pair. (We found the missing lens, but the frames are toast.

I finished Clue #4 Sunday night. I still have beads left in the first vial.

Sometime during the week I printed off and copied the pattern for doll pants for Zachary's new doll, Alex. I like to use the Liberty Jane Boot Cut Jeans pattern for the front and follow the tutorial that came with the pattern. I printed it at 80%, because it's designed for American Girl dolls, which are much bigger. I have my own special pants-back piece that I use when making pants for the Happy Kidz, and I printed that at 80% as well. I have the pieces all cut out and ready to sew up.

On Saturday a T-shirt I ordered from an Etsy shop, Mabe la Creativ arrived.

I have a good supply of regular brown lentils I need to use. Why, you might ask, do I have so many brown lentils? Well, I put red lentils on the grocery list. Charlie does most of the grocery shopping, and red lentils are rather difficult to find. He came home with three different brands of brown lentils, so besides the lentils I already had in the jar, I now had three pounds more. I decided to make French Lentil Soup, to try to reduce the supply a bit.

Here's the recipe if you want to try it; I took a screen shot from my Recipe Box app, but not all the ingredients showed up, so I just copied the text:

3 T extra-virgin olive oil
1 large chopped onion
3 chopped celery stalks
3 chopped carrots
2 chopped garlic cloves
4 C water
2 bouillon cubes
1 cup lentils, rinsed and drained
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 bay leaf
2 handful greens
Balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese

Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery, carrots, and garlic; sauté until vegetables begin to brown, about 15 minutes.

Add to slow cooker with 4 cups water, bouillon cubes, lentils, tomatoes and bay leaf, and start slow cooker on low.

When the slow-cooker is done (6 hours or so) remove about 2 cups of soup to another container and mix with an immersion blender. Return to pot. Add greens.

Season with salt, pepper, and a splash of Balsamic vinegar.

Ladle soup into bowls. Top with parmesan cheese.


Besides the lentil soup and a lot of Dutch oven bread, I pulled out some frozen corn and made my Easy Corn Salad, which uses frozen corn. You don't have to cook the corn or anything; just chop up the other things, make the dressing and mix it all up. It keeps in the fridge for several days. (It gets some feta cheese tossed on for serving.) 



Here's the recipe, a screen shot from my Recipe Box app.

You can substitute other ingredients or leave out some, depending on what you have on hand. You need the frozen corn, though, or it isn't corn salad.

And then there was the Super Bowl.

On the grandchild front, Soren is learning to play basketball. This is an inclusive program, and he's loving it!

Kids and puppies. Wear 'em out, and they're much easier to get along with!

I have a lot of difficulty responding to comments to my blog posts because of technical issues beyond my control (my lack of understanding of how things work). Message me on Facebook, Ravelry or Spoutible if you need information.

If you have a few minutes and are willing, please go to Amazon and B&N and search for "Our Favorite Verses: Poems from The Doll's Storybook by Peggy Stuart". Every click on the page for the book makes it more likely they will keep a good supply in their warehouse and stores. If you are outside the US, you may have a separate website for these retailers. If you have a copy of any of our books, including Emil, Mariah or Classic Tales Retold, please leave an honest review on the websites, especially if you bought from them.


Where's my blog: If you want to follow my blog, go here and sign up to follow.

What's on my needles: Still the Happier Days Shawl, the Mystery KAL for the Rose City Yarn Crawl 2024. I'm waiting for Clue #5 on February 4th. Also now working on the Everyday Play for Little Kidz Doll for my new character, Pam. I've put the Milk Thistle Shawl aside for now but will take it with me for the Yarn Crawl to see if I can figure out exactly where I'm supposed to pick up the yarn as for a make-one.

What's on my loom: Still folded up

What's on my sewing machine: Still the binding waiting for Zachary's quilt and clothes for Zachary's doll Alex.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: A Field Trip to the Dentist. If you know of a child who is about to make their first trip to the dentist, this story will give them an idea of what it's about and what the dentist's office is like...before they go.


What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished listening to The Martian by Andy Weir. Wow!
Also finished Harry Potter und die Kammer des Schreckens by Joanne K. Rowling (in German), the physical book, so I decided to listen to the next book in the series (also in German, because I now have the special vocabulary pretty much down), Harry Potter und der Gefangene von Askaban. For my physical-book reading, I've just started Die Letzten Magier by Andreas D. Hesse, also in German. Might as well, although when I talk with Charlie, sometimes I can only think of the word for something in German. I'm rusty. I used to be able to flip back and forth. One time, I was involved in a conversation that jumped around from German to English to Indonesian. That was a trip!

What's in my wine glass: Dominic Hentall Puglia Sangiovese Negroamaro 2020. I still have no sense of smell, so I can't give a full report, but this seems like a nice wine.

What's my tip of the week: Do you ever go to put on your fitted bottom sheet and get the side at the top? It really makes a difference with a queen mattress. I've discovered that my striped sheets help me avoid this problem. Sheet manufacturers tend to make striped sheets with the stripes going from head-to-foot, rather than side-to-side. All I have to do when I put on the fitted sheet is make sure the stripes run head-to-foot.


Where are my books: The stories in each book first appeared in the blog and they are reproduced with a few changes. 
Our Favorite Verses: Poems from The Doll's Storybook is available from the BookBabyBookshop and other booksellers worldwide. Poems included are Valentine's DayKeeping PetsBack to School, Victor the VultureThe Week Before Christmas, Insomnia and Veronika's Vocabulary Verses.
The stories in Classic Tales Retold: Stories from The Doll's Storybook are Little Green GreatcoatThe Boy Doll Who Cried Wolf and Lost in the Woods.
Emil: Stories from The Doll's Storybook and Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook are also still available from booksellers. The link for Book Baby is hereThe three stories in Emil are Best BudsGetting What You Want, and The Boys Cook Dinner.
The three stories in Mariah are Being LittleBesties, and Distraction.
If you don't get free shipping from Amazon or B&N, buy from the BookBabyBookshop, because 50% of the price goes to St. Jude. Other booksellers pay much less. 




Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

<a class="blsdk-follow" href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/highfiber-7365001" target="_blank" data-blsdk-type="button" data-blsdk-counter="false">Follow</a><script>(function(d, s, id) {var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if (d.getElementById(id)) return;js = d.createElement(s);js.id = id;js.src = "https://www.bloglovin.com/widget/js/loader.js?v=1";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, "script", "bloglovin-sdk"))</script>

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7365001/?claim=kkvctsdtf4n">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>  xxxx

I have a lot of difficulty responding to comments to my blog posts because of technical issues beyond my control (my lack of understanding of how things work). Message me on Facebook, Ravelry or Spoutible if you need information.

If you have a few minutes and are willing, please go to Amazon and B&N and search for "Our Favorite Verses: Poems from The Doll's Storybook by Peggy Stuart". Every click on the page for the book makes it more likely they will keep a good supply in their warehouse and stores. If you are outside the US, you may have a separate website for these retailers. If you have a copy of any of our books, including Emil, Mariah or Classic Tales Retold, please leave an honest review on the websites, especially if you bought from them.


Where's my blog: If you want to follow my blog, go here and sign up to follow.

What's on my needles: Still the Happier Days Shawl, the Mystery KAL for the Rose City Yarn Crawl 2024. I'm waiting for Clue #3 on January 24th. Also trying to start the Milk Thistle Shawl, for which I have the kit.

What's on my loom: Still folded up

What's on my sewing machine: Still the binding for Soren's quilt and clothes for Zachary's doll Alex.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: xx

What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished listening to Another Time, Another Place , #12 in "The Chronicles of St. Mary's" by Jodi Taylor. Now listening to The Martian by Andy Weir
Also still reading Harry Potter und die Kammer des Schreckens by Joanne K. Rowling (in German), the physical book, which I received for my birthday.

What's in my wine glass: xx

What's my tip of the week: striped sheets

Where are my books: The stories in each book first appeared in the blog and they are reproduced with a few changes. 
Our Favorite Verses: Poems from The Doll's Storybook is available from the BookBabyBookshop and other booksellers worldwide. Poems included are Valentine's DayKeeping PetsBack to School, Victor the VultureThe Week Before Christmas, Insomnia and Veronika's Vocabulary Verses.
The stories in Classic Tales Retold: Stories from The Doll's Storybook are Little Green GreatcoatThe Boy Doll Who Cried Wolf and Lost in the Woods.
Emil: Stories from The Doll's Storybook and Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook are also still available from booksellers. The link for Book Baby is hereThe three stories in Emil are Best BudsGetting What You Want, and The Boys Cook Dinner.
The three stories in Mariah are Being LittleBesties, and Distraction.
If you don't get free shipping from Amazon or B&N, buy from the BookBabyBookshop, because 50% of the price goes to St. Jude. Other booksellers pay much less. 




Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

<a class="blsdk-follow" href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/highfiber-7365001" target="_blank" data-blsdk-type="button" data-blsdk-counter="false">Follow</a><script>(function(d, s, id) {var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if (d.getElementById(id)) return;js = d.createElement(s);js.id = id;js.src = "https://www.bloglovin.com/widget/js/loader.js?v=1";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, "script", "bloglovin-sdk"))</script>

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7365001/?claim=kkvctsdtf4n">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>  

No comments:

Post a Comment