Monday, December 11, 2023

Whatever "Normal" Is.

It has been another very busy week, but I managed to finish with the loom, and now it's folded up in front of one of the front windows.



That leaves this spot free for the Christmas tree.


It will be interesting to see how Sandy responds to the tree. This will be his first Christmas. He's 11 months old today. It's hard to remember the tiny puppy we picked up last March.


He still has a lot to learn, but he's acting so much more like an adult dog now than a puppy, that we sometimes forget we still have to keep things out of reach if we don't want them removed to the back yard. I've been weighing him every Friday. He's now over 23 lbs.

So what happened to the placemats? Well, I had decided I wanted the space for the tree, so I spent most of my free time weaving.


Saturday I finished the 6th placemat, did the hemstitching and cut it from the warp.


The placemats still need to be cut apart from each other, tidied up, washed and blocked, but now there's no rush.


Earlier in the week, I sewed the binding on Soren's quilt. I think repeating the blue background fabric for the binding makes the border fabric fit a lot better. (You may remember I had to have it because Scooby-Do is Soren's absolute favorite.)


Friday I got word that Johan's quilt was done, so we drove out and picked it up. Here it is. Still the binding to do, but I'll need to get more of the green fabric for it. (I used up the last of it for the inner border.)


It wasn't easy to fit all that in. I had another PT appointment, this time to work on exercises to retrain my brain to handle the balance issue caused by the fluid in my ears. I'm OK if I'm looking at where I'm going, so walks/hikes aren't a problem.

I had another CT-scan, which was requested by the neurosurgeon. I'm still waiting to hear the results. 

I had to see the audiologist on Tuesday. She cleaned and adjusted my hearing aids, I think to the values she got from the audiogram two weeks earlier. However, by the time I got home, I already realized that they were too loud. If I'm right about how she set them, then my ears have improved during that time, which is good, but until I can get back to see her, I have to use them turned way down. I still don't understand speech very well, especially consonants, but I can hear music, so I went to choir practice and sang on Sunday. It was a good service to start with, because it was "Lessons and Carols." The Lessons are spoken and short. From years of church-going, I knew what each was about. Most of the rest of the service was music, which I could hear.


Fortunately, I had a ride with another choir member, because I'm not allowed to drive myself until a week from tomorrow. Our director said she didn't notice any problem with my singing, but it was difficult for me to tell. I also learned something about my balance. I knew that my balance is a problem if my eyes are closed, but on Sunday I learned that if I'm standing or walking and staring at my music, it's almost the same as having my eyes closed. I have to pay attention and either touch the back of a chair while standing or keep looking up while walking. I'm sleeping better now, partly because my tailbone injury seems to be healing, but maybe also because my brain is healing. I hope so!  We're getting some walks in between rain showers. We had another pop-up Madroña meeting (basically an online wine-drinking party). It will be the last until January, as the vineyard owners will be traveling.

Sandy had another vet visit to have his ears checked. There's still some signs of infection, so we're continuing the antibiotic. He has another recheck this week. He's 11 months old today!

I got in some knitting while waiting for appointments. The second sleeve is getting close. 

This week I'll have to clean house. No getting out of that.


I have a lot of difficulty responding to comments to my blog posts because of technical issues beyond my control (my lack of understanding of how things work). Message me on Facebook, Ravelry or Spoutible if you need information.

If you have a few minutes and are willing, please go to Amazon and B&N and search for "Our Favorite Verses: Poems from The Doll's Storybook by Peggy Stuart". Every click on the page for the book makes it more likely they will keep a good supply in their warehouse and stores. If you are outside the US, you may have a separate website for these retailers. If you have a copy of any of our books, including Emil, Mariah or Classic Tales Retold, please leave an honest review on the websites, especially if you bought from them.


Where's my blog: If you want to follow my blog, go here and sign up to follow.

What's on my needles: Still the Kultainen käki cardigan, the EmPower People Kerchief (hibernating) and the Happier Days Shawl, the Mystery KAL for the Rose City Yarn Crawl 2024waiting for the rest of Clue #1 in January.

What's on my loom: Dust, but I'm taking care of that now.

What's on my sewing machine: Binding for Johan's quilt as soon as the fabric comes.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: Another rerun revisited, Charlotte and Emil, and the Festival of Lights.



What's on my iPad/iPhone: Still listening to The English Air by D. E. Stevenson, using my hearing aids as ear buds. I didn't get very far, because I was so busy.

What's in my wine glass: Madroña's El Tinto, a nice red blend that varies from one year to the next but is always good.

What's my tip of the week: After I get the binding machine-sewed on the right side of my quilt, I always have to be reminded of how to attach the two ends of the binding to each other by machine before sewing the other side by hand. Here's the video I go to for help.




Where are my books: The stories in each book first appeared in the blog and they are reproduced with a few changes. 
Our Favorite Verses: Poems from The Doll's Storybook is available from the BookBabyBookshop and other booksellers worldwide. Poems included are Valentine's DayKeeping PetsBack to School, Victor the VultureThe Week Before Christmas, Insomnia and Veronika's Vocabulary Verses.
The stories in Classic Tales Retold: Stories from The Doll's Storybook are Little Green GreatcoatThe Boy Doll Who Cried Wolf and Lost in the Woods.
Emil: Stories from The Doll's Storybook and Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook are also still available from booksellers. The link for Book Baby is hereThe three stories in Emil are Best BudsGetting What You Want, and The Boys Cook Dinner.
The three stories in Mariah are Being LittleBesties, and Distraction.
If you don't get free shipping from Amazon or B&N, buy from the BookBabyBookshop, because 50% of the price goes to St. Jude. Other booksellers pay much less. 




Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

<a class="blsdk-follow" href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/highfiber-7365001" target="_blank" data-blsdk-type="button" data-blsdk-counter="false">Follow</a><script>(function(d, s, id) {var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if (d.getElementById(id)) return;js = d.createElement(s);js.id = id;js.src = "https://www.bloglovin.com/widget/js/loader.js?v=1";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, "script", "bloglovin-sdk"))</script>

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7365001/?claim=kkvctsdtf4n">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>   

No comments:

Post a Comment