Monday, December 4, 2023

Multitasking!

Dealing with my recent injury has cut into my fiber fun. It has been a busy week. We managed to drop off Johan's quilt and pick up Soren's from the quilter on Thursday. I think she did a lovely job. Here it is on the guest bed.


The white along the edge is the batting showing through. That will be covered up by the binding, which is my next job. Here I've folded over one edge to show the backing fabric. It shows the quilting design well. We picked this pattern, because it echoes the on-point placement of the blocks.


I have enough of the background fabric left to make the binding, I think. I had enough width-of-fabric for four strips, out of eight needed, but I think I have enough to piece the rest. (Sewing the strips together always takes up a little.)


There was a lot of the backing fabric left, including some long strips, which I can cut to 1/2" to use in the placemats.
Speaking of the placemats, the second one is done, and I've started the third one. I'm not sure how many I'll get out of this warp, but at least four. Again, I used a cardboard spacer between them. When I cut them apart, there will be a little fringe on each end. That's the plan.


I had appointments with an ENT doctor, a physical therapist and a neurosurgeon during the week and got mostly positive news. My hearing loss is most likely due to fluid built up behind my eardrums. If it's still there in three months, they will go in (eek!) and put in tubes to drain it. In the meantime, I'm supposed to ignore it. The audiologist should be able to adjust my hearing aids, which I am now allowed to wear, for my current hearing. I have an appointment with her on Tuesday. In the meantime, they improve my hearing a bit. My right ear is a bit better than the left, so I can turn the left side up a bit to get better balance.
The physical therapist ran a bunch of tests. The good news was, in spite of the accident, I'm able to perform most tasks considerably better than what's expected for my age, probably close to what I was able to do before. The bad news is, I have a deficit in vestibular balance, which means I could fall if something slides out from under me when I have my eyes closed. There was even some good news about that, though. It's likely caused by the fluid build-up in my ears, but also, there are some exercises they can give me to do to improve that. I'll be going in for PT once a week for the next eight weeks. I the meantime, I'll remember to hold onto the bar in the shower when I have to rinse my face or have my eyes closed for more than a blink.
On to the neurosurgeon. He ran some tests and found no problems, but he wants another CT-Scan just to be sure there has been no further bleeding.
I've had difficulty sleeping because of pain around my tailbone, which is where I landed before my head hit the pavement. We picked up a special cushion, which helps when I'm sitting or lying down on my back, but it's difficult to stay in the right position all night long. I asked the neurosurgeon about it, and he said it would take time. No treatment, I guess.
While waiting for the various appointments, I got more knitting done. The second sleeve of my cardigan is within a few inches of the first one. It will probably go faster now that I can listen to audiobooks again using my hearing aids.


As for regular reading, which I'm trying to do, so I can alternate activities, I'm reading Der Zauberlehrling by Erich Kästner. (I seem to be on a Kästner binge.) I read the last one by this author to see if my German language was still intact. I found I enjoy his subtle humor. I had forgotten.
The pups went to the groomer on Thursday. Sandy is still getting lighter in color, but he's up to 22.6 lbs, as of Friday. That's convenient, because now both dogs are in the same category for their flea/tick/heartworm medication. We think Sandy is now a tiny bit taller than Dusty, although Dusty still weighs more.


For some additional cuteness, here's Soren playing with his animals...in the front entryway. I guess they all want access to the door, just in case.



I have a lot of difficulty responding to comments to my blog posts because of technical issues beyond my control (my lack of understanding of how things work). Message me on Facebook, Ravelry or Spoutible if you need information.

If you have a few minutes and are willing, please go to Amazon and B&N and search for "Our Favorite Verses: Poems from The Doll's Storybook by Peggy Stuart". Every click on the page for the book makes it more likely they will keep a good supply in their warehouse and stores. If you are outside the US, you may have a separate website for these retailers. If you have a copy of any of our books, including Emil, Mariah or Classic Tales Retold, please leave an honest review on the websites, especially if you bought from them.


Where's my blog: If you want to follow my blog, go here and sign up to follow.

What's on my needles: Still the Kultainen käki cardigan, the EmPower People Kerchief (hibernating) and the Happier Days Shawl, the Mystery KAL for the Rose City Yarn Crawl 2024.
waiting for the rest of Clue #1 in January.

What's on my loom: Now on placemat #3.

What's on my sewing machine: Binding for Soren's quilt.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: Santa Visits is a two-part story in which Mariah and Billy visit the local store Santa and find out that he knows them, followed by the traditional Christmas Eve reading in bed of "The Night Before Christmas." This reedited rerun from 2018 is based on a true story.



What's on my iPad/iPhone: Now listening to The English Air by D. E. Stevenson. I'm using my hearing aids as ear buds. I can now understand most of the story.

What's in my wine glass: Beirais Vinho Regional Terras da Beira from Portugal. A nice red wine with a tangy taste.

What's my tip of the week: We've been hearing about the "new" canine respiratory illness found in various places across North America. We watched and listened to this webinar put on by Trupanion on Facebook and found it helpful.

Where are my books: The stories in each book first appeared in the blog and they are reproduced with a few changes. 
Our Favorite Verses: Poems from The Doll's Storybook is available from the BookBabyBookshop and other booksellers worldwide. Poems included are Valentine's DayKeeping PetsBack to School, Victor the VultureThe Week Before Christmas, Insomnia and Veronika's Vocabulary Verses.
The stories in Classic Tales Retold: Stories from The Doll's Storybook are Little Green GreatcoatThe Boy Doll Who Cried Wolf and Lost in the Woods.
Emil: Stories from The Doll's Storybook and Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook are also still available from booksellers. The link for Book Baby is hereThe three stories in Emil are Best BudsGetting What You Want, and The Boys Cook Dinner.
The three stories in Mariah are Being LittleBesties, and Distraction.
If you don't get free shipping from Amazon or B&N, buy from the BookBabyBookshop, because 50% of the price goes to St. Jude. Other booksellers pay much less. 




Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

<a class="blsdk-follow" href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/highfiber-7365001" target="_blank" data-blsdk-type="button" data-blsdk-counter="false">Follow</a><script>(function(d, s, id) {var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if (d.getElementById(id)) return;js = d.createElement(s);js.id = id;js.src = "https://www.bloglovin.com/widget/js/loader.js?v=1";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, "script", "bloglovin-sdk"))</script>

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7365001/?claim=kkvctsdtf4n">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>  

No comments:

Post a Comment