Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Horse Do-do!

Just when I thought I had everything under control and would accomplish a lot during the week, I had a disaster. This is about all I've gotten done this past week.


I had the book on the shelf. It's Patricia Cornwell's Body Farm in German. I read it years ago, but pulled it off the shelf to read because things happened, and I will explain. I had the quilt inner borders ready to sew on. I planned to make bread and do some knitting. I would need to go to the fabric store to get backing for Johan's quilt. The best laid plans….

We decided on Tuesday to take the pups to Alpenglow, because there was a short break in the rain expected. (Short = about two hours.) we let them play in the play yard for a while, then we left there and were ready to set out on the off-leash part of the trail. While we were standing there, watching the dogs play and talking to some other people, a big dog ran into me and knocked me down backwards. I hit my head on the asphalt. Blood came out of one ear and my nose. Before I knew it (and I never lost consciousness) the ambulance was there. The owner of the dog that knocked me over had called them. They helped me get my jacket off, put some stickers on my chest and abdomen and did a quick exam. You know the kind: What day is it, where are we, how many fingers am I holding up, do you remember what happened, shining the light in your eyes, having you follow their finger, etc. I was expecting them to ask me to start reciting the Presidents in order. (I wasn’t sure I could do that.) They were prepared for me to barf as soon as I moved and had a bag handy. They put me on the gurney they had brought, and I was carted away to the hospital in a real ambulance. Charlie took the dogs home, put Sandy in his crate and drove to the hospital. The lady who owned the dog also came to the hospital and waited several hours to see how I was. It wasn’t her fault. The dog wasn’t misbehaving, just playing. Amazingly, I thought to turn off the Walk for a Dog app while they were strapping me in to the gurney.


I can't believe I had the wherewithal to do it, but during the quick ride to the hospital, I told them I had medical information on my phone. I opened up my phone and showed them. I never thought I would need to have this on my phone, but thought why not. It has a rundown of health conditions, my medication, allergies, blood type, height and weight and emergency contact people.


At St. Charles Medical Center, they had the information when I arrived. Technology is great when it works.

They had me in the emergency room for several hours. I had two CAT scans (no cats were harmed) while in emergency. I think the second one was because they hadn’t figured out how come I had lost my hearing. Bottom line: skull fracture with bleeding in the brain. On top of that, some bones in my ears were broken. (I don’t know which ones—they didn’t tell me, or if they did, I didn’t hear—but I suspect the little hair-like ones that are so delicate.) Also a crack in the TMJ. I was admitted as a patient and taken to a room (#8223, which I remember because they asked me so many times). I had a heckuva shiner, not because I hit my eye, but because the impact had sent blood to that area of my head. All in all, I’ve had better days. Here's what my shiner looks like now. (I should have gotten a photo when it first appeared.)

Later that night, they took me for another CAT scan. Peter and Alexa called on FaceTime, but I didn’t hear the phone. One of the nurses was in the room and told me it was ringing. We had a nice chat, but it was my first look at my shiner. It was a shock! Almost everyone who came to care for me shone a light in my eyes, asked me to follow their finger with my eyes and put me through a list of questions similar to the questions the paramedics asked. They also wanted to find out if I had a walker at home, a grab bar in the shower, stairs, if I did my own cooking and finances, and if I had someone to look after me. About the walker, I said I don’t have a walker, I’m a hiker! About the grab bar…without it, where would I put my washcloth? Stairs everywhere, yes, yes and yes. I thought they didn’t believe that I only take one prescription regularly. I must have looked ancient!

Wednesday I had another CAT scan. It showed no change in the bleeding, so they started testing me to see if I was well enough to go home. I had been to the bathroom several times with the walker, because they insisted. After about the third time, I noticed they folded it up and put it in the corner. I only needed it for balance in the beginning, and someone's arm would have been easier. My balance was completely back to normal by Wednesday. They tested my ability to take a long walk holding the IV stand. By "long walk," I mean once around the nurses' station. While doing that, I had to count backwards from 20 to one. I passed. I think that was the physical therapist. Then the occupational therapist came to accompany me to a room with some special equipment. There was a flight of stairs. I had to go up and down the stairs several times. Next the cognitive therapist came. I had a more extensive set of problems than the one I get from my doctor every year. One new one was to name as many animals as I could in 60 seconds. She told me I got 150% on that one. I didn’t make any mistakes on anything, so at least so far, my brain seems to be functioning.

While I was in the hospital, I received this lovely arrangement of little plants with an artificial but realistic-looking dragonfly hidden inside from Peter and Alexa.


The dogs came with Charlie to pick me up. Their greeting was incredible, and they were very attentive for the first couple of days. They are still sticking close to me. Peter made the long trip down from Beaverton to stay for a few days to help. It's great he can work from home or wherever he has internet. Karen's family called on Friday via FaceTime. Although my hearing is severely impacted, if I'm wearing a hearing aid in my left ear (the one that didn't bleed) and have the volume of the phone turned up, I can make out what people are saying. I grabbed this screen shot as a memento.


I'm supposed to have only soft food or food cut up into tiny bites for now, because I shouldn't open my mouth too wide. I went nearly two days hardly eating anything because of lack of appetite and occasional nausea, so I've lost a couple of pounds. That will come back.

I had already finished a new story last week and finished taking the photos on Tuesday morning. It came out on Friday. In A November Story, Emil has a letter from Holly in response to his report of viewing the solar eclipse. 


I had planned to go to the Red Door Marketplace at the church on Saturday, to sell my books to benefit the church, but that's out now. I can still donate the books, and they can sell them along with all the other things they have to offer, mostly handmade items, baked goods and gently used hand-me-downs. I'll sign plenty of copies, and someone will pick them up on Friday. I plan to spread it out over the next three days.

We decided the shelf installation in the Rpod will have to wait until Spring, under the circumstances. Charlie removed the battery for the winter, and Peter helped him put a tarp over the pod until spring.



I'm going to skip the usual "What's on my..." section this week. For a tip, though, I can recommend the protein shake Orgain. Charlie picked it up at Costco. One shake has 20g protein, and there's no sugar. (It's sweetened with stevia.) I would have preferred soy protein to the pea, but the list of superfoods contained is amazing. The taste is pretty good, although I must confess my sense of smell is greatly diminished. I have to stick to soft food and tiny bites for 4-6 weeks.

I have a lot of difficulty responding to comments to my blog posts because of technical issues beyond my control (my lack of understanding of how things work). Message me on Facebook, Ravelry or Spoutible if you need information.

If you have a few minutes and are willing, please go to Amazon and B&N and search for "Our Favorite Verses: Poems from The Doll's Storybook by Peggy Stuart". Every click on the page for the book makes it more likely they will keep a good supply in their warehouse and stores. If you are outside the US, you may have a separate website for these retailers. If you have a copy of any of our books, including Emil, Mariah or Classic Tales Retold, please leave an honest review on the websites, especially if you bought from them.

The stories in each book first appeared in the blog and they are reproduced with a few changes. 
Our Favorite Verses: Poems from The Doll's Storybook is available from the BookBabyBookshop and other booksellers worldwide. Poems included are Valentine's DayKeeping PetsBack to School, Victor the VultureThe Week Before Christmas, Insomnia and Veronika's Vocabulary Verses.
The stories in Classic Tales Retold: Stories from The Doll's Storybook are Little Green GreatcoatThe Boy Doll Who Cried Wolf and Lost in the Woods.
Emil: Stories from The Doll's Storybook and Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook are also still available from booksellers. The link for Book Baby is hereThe three stories in Emil are Best BudsGetting What You Want, and The Boys Cook Dinner.
The three stories in Mariah are Being LittleBesties, and Distraction.
If you don't get free shipping from Amazon or B&N, buy from the BookBabyBookshop, because 50% of the price goes to St. Jude. Other booksellers pay much less. 



Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

<a class="blsdk-follow" href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/highfiber-7365001" target="_blank" data-blsdk-type="button" data-blsdk-counter="false">Follow</a><script>(function(d, s, id) {var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if (d.getElementById(id)) return;js = d.createElement(s);js.id = id;js.src = "https://www.bloglovin.com/widget/js/loader.js?v=1";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, "script", "bloglovin-sdk"))</script>

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7365001/?claim=kkvctsdtf4n">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>  

2 comments:

  1. Oh goodness Peggy! That was a tumble! Hope you are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete