Monday, October 23, 2023

Just a Quick Rundown

Next year's Rose City Yarn Crawl doesn't start until March 7th, but the Mystery Knit Along (KAL) and Crochet Along (CAL) are giving us a head start on the new projectsI was lucky to find the perfect yarn in my stash. It took some digging, but when I found the lovely stuff on top, I knew it was perfect. Then I had to do some digging to find something compatible for the second yarn.

The MKAL starts with a provisional I-cord cast-on (CO). I've done this before, but not exactly this way. It calls for optional beads, and I love adding beads to a project. I had some, but they're smaller than called for (although they would work) and a pretty silver color, but I don't have enough, so I'm going to buy some just for this project and get the size required, today, I hope. I have named this project the Happier Days Shawl.

The sleeve of the Kultainen käki Cardigan is coming along, although not very fast. I'm on the straight knit with no increases section. When it's long enough, I'll CO the second sleeve.

As for weaving, I finished the first Raggedy Placemat. Finally! I decided to do the hem stitching while it's still on the loom. I need to put in a spacer, and then I can start the hem of the second one. I'm using 1/2" strips, mostly cut width-of-fabric, but some lengthwise and some on the bias, because I had some 1" bias strips left from the Raggedy Rugs, and I could use them by cutting them in half lengthwise. The weaving goes very fast, but it's hard to do if I have to watch our sneaky younger pup!

We're still working on the trailer before we put her under her blankie. The teak mat we ordered for the wet bath came this week. The surface stands a bit above the floor of the bath, allowing water to drain and protecting the floor. I think it's perfect!

We also got the tension rods to put up our shelving, something like this. It won't rest right on the cornices, but just above, and we can't put anything heavy on them. (We will have one over the dinette and one over the bed, each place where the roof slopes down.) We still have to get the wire shelves, and zip ties in white, so they won't be obvious. (Not our pod, but one like ours.)

Sandy has been keeping us busy, as usual. He got my wallet early in the week. He took all the cards out and spread them around in the yard. (I'm watching my credit card statements for unexpected charges at Chewy and the pet shops.) Later he got my knitting. Again! Both of these were up high, supposedly out of reach. He opened my purse and took out the wallet, not disturbing anything else, just like a pickpocket. My knitting bag had the handles tied together in a square knot in the middle of the dining room table. He had untied the handles, taken out the knitting, scrambled the yarn and left the knitting bag right there where it was. I have noticed that he tends to do this kind of thing first thing in the morning, so for the last few days, I've been closing the dog door after the pups come back from their morning potty sessions. Sandy got one of Charlie's caps off the coat rack and took it to the back door, where he was stopped. He just dropped the hat and went to have a snack. Fingers crossed this works! He does relax, though.

Saturday we went back to Good Dog Trail. I took the photo of the map and changed it to B&W, upped the contrast and exposure and adjusted the highlights and shadows to make a more readable version. Then I wrote in the names of the trails, using my computer to zoom in on the picture, so I could read them. The roads are for nonmotorized vehicles, like regular bikes. They have numbers, but no names. The trails are for dogs and hikers. 

It was fun, although we met a man who was clearly afraid of dogs. The first I noticed was Dusty barked at him, which he never does. Dusty must have realized that the man was anxious. The man moved off the trail, as if he thought he would be safe there. I told him our dogs wouldn't bite, and his reply was "I've heard that before." We called the dogs and moved on along the trail. We wondered why a person who was so afraid of dogs would hike in an off-leash area, and on a Saturday, too. 


We took the trails that appeared to lead most directly to the river, then found out later, that's the hard way to go. It's very steep. The dogs were excited to find the river, though.


It was really beautiful, and the day was sunny and warm.


After both dogs has a drink, Sandy wanted to go for a swim, but we were worried about the current, so we called him to come back.


We went back to the trail and continued on. Eventually, it came back to the way we came in. 


I didn't get any photos from our Madroña pop-up meeting, but it was good to see everyone, and we had a good time.

That was pretty much my week, except that my Covid booster apparently triggered my arthritis, and I didn't get much sleep for a couple of nights. I had to use the heating pad, and at one point I took some Ibuprofen. It came and went for about three days. Then my knee was still a little tender for a couple of days. By Saturday, it was gone. 

I have a lot of difficulty responding to comments to my blog posts because of technical issues beyond my control (my lack of understanding of how things work). Message me on Facebook, Ravelry or Spoutible if you need information.

If you have a few minutes and are willing, please go to Amazon and B&N and search for "Our Favorite Verses: Poems from The Doll's Storybook by Peggy Stuart". Every click on the page for the book makes it more likely they will keep a good supply in their warehouse and stores. If you are outside the US, you may have a separate website for these retailers. If you have a copy of any of our books, including Emil, Mariah or Classic Tales Retold, please leave an honest review on the websites, especially if you bought from them.


Where's my blog: If you want to follow my blog, go here and sign up to follow.

What's on my needles: Still the Kultainen käki cardigan and now the Happier Days Shawl. (Of course, the EmPower People Kerchief is still hibernating, but with winter coming on, it will be handy to have to use, so I'd better get on it.)

What's on my loom: One placemat done.

What's on my sewing machine: I didn't get any work done on Johan's quilt, but I washed the backing for Soren's.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: In "Reading, Writing and Recycling Again," Jolena learns how to organize her thoughts before writing and why we put paper (and other things) into the recycling bin, a recycled story that first appeared in 2018.



What's on my iPad/iPhone: Still listening to Die Unendliche Geschichte by Michael Ende, no progress this week.

What's in my wine glass: Avalon Blend 2020, Red Wine from California.

What's my tip of the week: A flannel or corduroy bag filled with regular white rice makes a great heating pad. It can be microwaved and then it molds itself to your body, wherever you put it. However, it cools off and has to be reheated. For long-term use without having to get up, an electric one is perhaps better.

Where are my books: The stories in each book first appeared in the blog and they are reproduced with a few changes. 
Our Favorite Verses: Poems from The Doll's Storybook is available from the BookBabyBookshop and other booksellers worldwide. Poems included are Valentine's DayKeeping PetsBack to School, Victor the VultureThe Week Before Christmas, Insomnia and Veronika's Vocabulary Verses.
The stories in Classic Tales Retold: Stories from The Doll's Storybook are Little Green GreatcoatThe Boy Doll Who Cried Wolf and Lost in the Woods.
Emil: Stories from The Doll's Storybook and Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook are also still available from booksellers. The link for Book Baby is hereThe three stories in Emil are Best BudsGetting What You Want, and The Boys Cook Dinner.
The three stories in Mariah are Being LittleBesties, and Distraction.
If you don't get free shipping from Amazon or B&N, buy from the BookBabyBookshop, because 50% of the price goes to St. Jude. Other booksellers pay much less. 



Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

<a class="blsdk-follow" href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/highfiber-7365001" target="_blank" data-blsdk-type="button" data-blsdk-counter="false">Follow</a><script>(function(d, s, id) {var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if (d.getElementById(id)) return;js = d.createElement(s);js.id = id;js.src = "https://www.bloglovin.com/widget/js/loader.js?v=1";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, "script", "bloglovin-sdk"))</script>

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7365001/?claim=kkvctsdtf4n">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>  

No comments:

Post a Comment