Monday, October 30, 2023

Back in Action

It's the season to snuggle together to keep warm.

The pups went to the groomer on Thursday, but Wednesday evening we noticed that Sandy's ears were bothering him. They looked red inside. I called the vet early Thursday, and they were able to see him before the grooming appointment. He had an ear infection. We're using an ear wash several times a week now and he gets an antibiotic ointment every 12 hours. The redness is gone, but we have to keep up the treatment. He's really good about it. Treats help.

Supposedly it snowed this week. I've live with snow for a number of years. This isn't snow. There's something that fell from the sky that was frozen. It landed on the cover to our barbecue. It wasn't anything like snow, but it was cold.


There was still some rainwater in the dog pool. It froze. This is indeed ice.


There was ice on the back deck. It was real ice and very slippery. I stayed in and watched the dogs from the back door.


Winter always comes just in time for Halloween. However, we managed to get in some walks with the pups. This one is representative, but our walks varied in length from 1/2 to 1 1/2 miles.


We (the pups and I) walked to the dog park on Saturday, so the pups could run loose, while Charlie took the car to go get his COVID booster. The pups and I stayed at the park for some time, because one dog would leave and another would come. The dogs were having so much fun, I was happy to stay. I was thinking about leaving but called Charlie to see if he was done yet. He said he would come and pick us up. We stayed for a while after he got there, because another doggy friend had shown up. This one had brought her own ball and someone to throw it. Dusty and the other dog competed to get to the ball first. Both were pretty happy to share. Sandy enjoyed just chasing to get to the ball and then racing back. (He knows Dusty is ball-obsessed.) They all had a great time.

Speaking of vaccinations, I got my RSV shot on Friday. My arm still isn't sore. The technician said most people don't have any side effects from this shot. I was expecting at least a sore arm. I'm glad to have all three done (flu-COVID-RSV). I know I can still get sick, but this reduces my chances of being seriously ill.

Yesterday, I took the pups to Alpenglow Park. There were at least 20 dogs in the all-dog yard. Dusty was a ball-retrieving champion! This was the only photo that had both of them in it. We got in a mile on the trail after that. Charlie stayed home. He was feeling the effects of his shot.


Besides regular bread, I made some pumpkin bread with chocolate chips this week. It counts as a vegetable, I understand. We had it in time for National Chocolate Day, October 28. (If you look up "National Chocolate Day," you will find some other dates, but I think this is the official one, unless every day is National Chocolate Day, which is OK, unless you're allergic to it or you're a dog.)

The Rose City Yarn Crawl Mystery Knit Along had a presale of the preclude and a sample of the beginning of the first clue. If you read last week's blog post, you saw my yarn and beads. I knit up what was in the first clue. This is only the beginning of the first clue. The rest of it will come out on January 17th. There is also a Crochet Along. If you want to participate now, you will have to wait until January. I've put mine away until then, because I have to wait for the rest of the clue.

The sleeve for the Kultainen käki Cardigan is getting longer, but it isn't long enough yet. I tried it on. I need at least another inch. It probably doesn't look any different from last week's photo.

The second placemat is coming along. I put in a spacer (a piece of cardboard longer than the placemats and about 2" wide) and then got a start on the second placemat. After I had a few inches, I removed the cardboard and did the hemstitching at the beginning. When I get to the other end of this placemat, I'll do the hemstitching and place the cardboard again. This is the first time I've done it this way.


I've been looking for someone to do the machine quilting for the boys' quilts. I had called the local quilt shop, but they said their quilter was going to be out for nine weeks or so. I called a sewing machine shop and got the names of a couple of machine quilters. I called one and waited. On Friday, I got a call back. The quilter can finish Soren's quilt before Christmas, and Johan's, too, if I can get it to her before the end of November. I'm going to try to get it finished this week. I have an appointment with her on Thursday to look at quilting patterns and drop off the quilt top and backing. If I have Johan's done by then, I can drop off both of them. I'm not happy with using the black inner border for Johan's quilt, because the outer border is so dark. I may have to substitute something else.


The choir is putting together a gift basket for the church bazaar. I decided to provide a copy of the Christmas poem from my latest book. I wanted it to be smaller, because there would be so few pages, so I had to do another layout. I set it up with only one verse and one photo on each page. Then I had it printed with heavier glossy paper for the cover and thinner glossy pages inside. I added the photo of Pauly looking at the Christmas tree his first Christmas.


For some family cuteness (in case the pups aren't enough), here's Karen with her two kids after the second performance of The Little Mermaid, LaCrosse Ballet. She was a maid. Daphne was a mermaid and Zachary was (obviously) a pirate.


Since Halloween is coming up, I thought I would share this photo from Halloween, 2009, when the H1N1 "Swine Flu" was running rampant. We wore pig noses and were draped with pain relievers, decongestants and cough medicines. We had signs on our backs that said, "Ban Tamiflu!"


Happy Halloween!

I have a lot of difficulty responding to comments to my blog posts because of technical issues beyond my control (my lack of understanding of how things work). Message me on Facebook, Ravelry or Spoutible if you need information.

If you have a few minutes and are willing, please go to Amazon and B&N and search for "Our Favorite Verses: Poems from The Doll's Storybook by Peggy Stuart". Every click on the page for the book makes it more likely they will keep a good supply in their warehouse and stores. If you are outside the US, you may have a separate website for these retailers. If you have a copy of any of our books, including Emil, Mariah or Classic Tales Retold, please leave an honest review on the websites, especially if you bought from them.


Where's my blog: If you want to follow my blog, go here and sign up to follow.

What's on my needles: Still the Kultainen käki cardigan, the EmPower People Kerchief (hibernating) and the Happier Days Shawl, the Mystery KAL for the Rose City Yarn Crawl 2024.

What's on my loom: Still the placemats, working on the second one.

What's on my sewing machine: Boys' quilts.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: It's a Boy! was about Billy's arrival and how he got to be a boy, when all the Happy Kidz the Götz company makes all girls. (We now have Pauly, but he's a Little Kidz, so smaller.) We're glad Billy wanted to be a boy, because we needed boys!



What's on my iPad/iPhone: Still listening to Die Unendliche Geschichte by Michael Ende. 

What's in my wine glass: La Crima Pupura Tinto Seco dry red wine from Spain.

What's my tip of the week: When I'm knitting a sleeve in the round, I like to use two circular needles, the same way I usually knit socks. On occasion I have accidentally picked up the wrong end of the wrong needle and ended up unable to continue until I slipped all of the stitches from that side back onto the correct needle. If I

Where are my books: The stories in each book first appeared in the blog and they are reproduced with a few changes. 
Our Favorite Verses: Poems from The Doll's Storybook is available from the BookBabyBookshop and other booksellers worldwide. Poems included are Valentine's DayKeeping PetsBack to School, Victor the VultureThe Week Before Christmas, Insomnia and Veronika's Vocabulary Verses.
The stories in Classic Tales Retold: Stories from The Doll's Storybook are Little Green GreatcoatThe Boy Doll Who Cried Wolf and Lost in the Woods.
Emil: Stories from The Doll's Storybook and Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook are also still available from booksellers. The link for Book Baby is hereThe three stories in Emil are Best BudsGetting What You Want, and The Boys Cook Dinner.
The three stories in Mariah are Being LittleBesties, and Distraction.
If you don't get free shipping from Amazon or B&N, buy from the BookBabyBookshop, because 50% of the price goes to St. Jude. Other booksellers pay much less. 



Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

<a class="blsdk-follow" href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/highfiber-7365001" target="_blank" data-blsdk-type="button" data-blsdk-counter="false">Follow</a><script>(function(d, s, id) {var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if (d.getElementById(id)) return;js = d.createElement(s);js.id = id;js.src = "https://www.bloglovin.com/widget/js/loader.js?v=1";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, "script", "bloglovin-sdk"))</script>

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7365001/?claim=kkvctsdtf4n">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>  

No comments:

Post a Comment