Monday, May 1, 2023

Seeing Reddish

There has been a lot of reddish colors in my life lately. We made kimchi this week from two pounds of green cabbage with the usual added ingredients. Here it was in the press.




The recipe is vegan, because there's usually fish sauce in regular kimchi. You don't need it. It's very easy to make kimchi. You don't have to have a press, but it makes it easier. This batch filled two quart jars almost full. It comes out a nice rusty color when it's done.




I'm still using my sourdough starter to make my bread for sandwiches. I use whole wheat flour with the addition of oat bran and wheat bran (to make up for the small amount of white flour in the starter), and wheat gluten because of the elevation.




I got a little knitting done. I'm ready for the colorwork section on the second sleeve. Then I'll reattach the yarn for the bottom ribbing. After that, on to the steek and the front bands. It will be easy to finish...just in time for summer! Maybe the reddish color is better for fall, but I'll want to start wearing it when it's done.




I'm able to get back to my knitting because I finished the doll clothes. This Aran sweater for the boy doll was the last thing done before I mailed the package off on Tuesday. It arrived yesterday (Sunday).



Guess who has been growing! We took Sandy to the vet a couple of days after we got home, and he was a tiny bit short of 8 lbs. A week later he had gained .8 of a pound. When we weighed him on Friday, he was 10 lbs. even, so he had gained 1.2 lbs in a week. I wonder how much of it is hair, but here's a photo with Dusty (who is done growing) for scale. Sandy clearly had a growth spurt. I can't find Dusty's records, but Sandy's weight is on track with Rocky's at the same age (one time less, one time more), so I'm guessing he will end up about the same size.




I've been giving Sandy a bath every 10 days. He gets pee on a bit of his chest and tummy hair, and it makes the hair stiff and a bit sticky, so he needs it. On Friday, I took him in the shower with me instead of bathing him in the dishpan, which has become too small. It was easier, and I always end up wet anyway. The after-toweling dance is always fun.



When he was completely dry and brushed out, he was very pretty in the sun. He definitely looks like a reddish bear!




Sandy's favorite toys are sticks and rope tugs. We take away any sticks he finds in the yard and trade for a bully stick, which he can chew on safely. Dusty likes the ball better, but he enjoys playing with Sandy if no one throws the ball.



If Dusty has a stick and teases Sandy with it, Sandy will grab Dusty by either his ear hair or his tail hair. It doesn't seem to hurt, so I think it's just the hair. They spin around in circles or Dusty runs, dragging Sandy behind. Maybe Sandy thinks Dusty is a living rope tug.


Sandy has been sleeping six hours at a time at night, so I'm getting more sleep. Last night (Sunday night) he slept for seven and a half hours! I woke up a few times as he changed position in his crate. Maybe it's getting a little small with Snowball in there. Snowball has become a regular bedfellow for Sandy. The poor stuffed toy gets dragged around a lot and often is the subject of playful chews, hugs or domination (which is really funny to watch). Most of the time he's just a cozy pillow.

Sandy made great strides this week in maturation, showing Dusty how to use the dog door and consistently going to the back door when he needs to go potty. He eats more kibble with his breakfast yoghurt than he used to. 




Speaking of Dusty, he turns seven today, our Mayday puppy! This photo was taken the day we brought him home.




We will be celebrating with some doggy birthday cake, which has been in the freezer. I made it for Rocky's 18th birthday, and we froze the leftovers. When we had Rocky's goodbye party, we cut off part of the frozen cake and put the rest back. We still have some left over. Maybe we'll cut it up and have a party at the dog park when Sandy is immunized enough to go there. We haven't been in a long time and have missed it.

We're looking forward to doing some camping again, now that the weather has warmed up. After our misadventures related to our "Arizona Vacation," though, we have decided we need something smaller. When we bought our 24' fifth wheel in 2000, we had a cat and a 53-lb poodle. We felt we needed something that big.


We even put a cat door in the door to the bathroom, because the litter box was in the tub. It needs a pickup truck to pull it, and it's expensive to travel. Backing into a space is a pain and takes two people, because the driver can only see where they're going in one of the two mirrors at a time. I'm hoping we have made the change in time for camping this summer.

The Wisconsin grands spent the weekend in Chicago. The weekend included theater and ballet performances, museum visits, walks around the Windy City and other fun.



Daphne met up with a friend from Ballet La Crosse.





I have a lot of difficulty responding to comments to my blog posts because of technical issues beyond my control (my lack of understanding of how things work). Message me on Facebook, Ravelry or Spoutible if you need information.

If you have a few minutes and are willing, please go to Amazon and B&N and search for "Classic Tales Retold: Stories from The Doll's Storybook by Peggy Stuart" in Children's. Every click on the page for the book makes it more likely they will keep a good supply in their warehouse and stores. If you are outside the US, you may have a separate website for these retailers. If you have a copy of any of our books, including Emil and Mariah, please leave an honest review on the websites, especially if you bought from them.


Where's my blog: If you want to follow my blog, go here and sign up to follow.

What's on my needles: Still the Talvinen cardigan and the EmPower People Kerchief (hibernating).

What's on my sewing machine: Some mending, and then I have some quilts to finish and make.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: In What Do Dolls Do on Their Day Off? we imagine what dolls might do all day when we leave them at home without us. Do they just stand on a shelf and wait for us to come home to play? This rerun from 2018 didn't need much editing, just updating the book information at the bottom. The style had been established by then.



What's on my iPad/iPhone: Still listening to The Weaver's Daughter by Sarah E. Ladd.

What's in my wine glass: Fortepasso Delle Venezie Pinot Grigio 2020. Nice enough, especially on a hot day.

What's my tip of the week: If you're looking for a social media site similar to Twitter but without the aggravation, try Spoutible. I signed up at the beginning just to try it out, and I find I like it more all the time, especially as they keep adding improvements and remove bugs. It's bot-free, as far as I can tell. Trolls are quickly identified and removed, and people seem able to discuss things without being obnoxious. I've found more knitting, quilting and dog people there, and I admire the cats, even though I don't currently have any.

Where are my books: The stories in each book first appeared in the blog and they are reproduced with a few changes. 
Classic Tales Retold: Stories from The Doll's Storybook is available from BookBabyBookshop and other booksellers worldwide. The stories are Little Green GreatcoatThe Boy Doll Who Cried Wolf and Lost in the Woods.
Emil: Stories from The Doll's Storybook and Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook are also still available from booksellers. The link for Book Baby is hereThe three stories in Emil are Best BudsGetting What You Want, and The Boys Cook Dinner.
The three stories in Mariah are Being LittleBesties, and Distraction.
If you don't get free shipping from Amazon or B&N, buy from the BookBabyBookshop, because 50% of the price goes to St. Jude. Other booksellers pay much less. 



Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

<a class="blsdk-follow" href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/highfiber-7365001" target="_blank" data-blsdk-type="button" data-blsdk-counter="false">Follow</a><script>(function(d, s, id) {var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if (d.getElementById(id)) return;js = d.createElement(s);js.id = id;js.src = "https://www.bloglovin.com/widget/js/loader.js?v=1";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, "script", "bloglovin-sdk"))</script>

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7365001/?claim=kkvctsdtf4n">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a> 

No comments:

Post a Comment