Monday, May 29, 2023

Adventures in Puppy Parenting

Obviously, Sandy has grown.




He's also getting better at staying put for photos, but not as good as Dusty.




It only took seven or eight tries to get this photo of Sandy.




I took them for walks a couple of times by myself this week. It's a little like trying to drive a buckboard standing up, but it's getting easier. I've been working with both of them on "heel," which I expect will help eventually. Dusty has the "heel" part down, but not the "sit" when you stop. Sandy doesn't get the point of "heel" but is great at "sit."


We have managed to walk every day this week, taking varying routes. Usually we put harnesses on the pups. Sandy has already grown out of the puppy harness. The one he's using now needed a lot of adjustment for him, but fits better than the one we use for riding in the car. When he grows out of this one, I should be able to adjust the other harness like Dusty's so it's small enough for him.

I keep finding Snowball in different places around the house. I thought this was Snowball doing cat yoga.



Sandy has grown so much, we keep moving things, and he still manages to get something he shouldn't have, either because he can destroy it or it might be harmful for him if he swallows some of it. The other day, I caught him like this. (It's too bad the light wasn't on in the room, because it would have been a great photo.) We don't know who put that stool there, but neither of us remembers doing it. He couldn't have done it himself, could he? What was he after, the coasters or the fly swatter?



This morning, I heard what sounded like rummaging in my purse, which was in the middle of the dining room table. Could it be? Yes! When I checked, Sandy was standing ON THE TABLE! I wanted to laugh. I wanted to grab my phone and get a photo. I didn't want to give him the idea that it was OK, though, so I told him no and took him down. Then I made sure all the chairs were placed right up against the table, so he couldn't use one to climb. What a monkey!

I've written a new story, the first one since April 7th. When each story is written, I copy it into a word-processing program, edit it to fit to use less paper, if I can, and print it off. I make notes about what kind of photo I want. Then I take photos or sometimes find things online and check them off on the script. Well, Sandy got my script. He took it outside, but brought it back when I didn't chase after him. However, it wasn't much good when it came back. Fortunately, I only had two photos left to take, and I remembered what I wanted them to be. (I wonder if he's a literary critic in a fur coat?)



Dusty has had his paws full, dealing with the growing little brother. They get along great, unless Dusty has to correct Sandy, who doesn't always take correction from Dusty well. They often look sweet together.



We are well into spring here, with wildflowers blooming. Plant.id says this is probably flixweed. If so, it's edible. We need some of it in our yard. This photo was taken on one of our walks.




This was growing on a slope next to the Larkspur Trail, on someone's property, and probably planted, but also a wildflower, most likely Basket-of-gold, a type of Alyssum, and related to the flixweed.



I managed to get some progress on the new book. Now it's time to walk the dogs.


I have a lot of difficulty responding to comments to my blog posts because of technical issues beyond my control (my lack of understanding of how things work). Message me on Facebook, Ravelry or Spoutible if you need information.

If you have a few minutes and are willing, please go to Amazon and B&N and search for "Classic Tales Retold: Stories from The Doll's Storybook by Peggy Stuart" in Children's. Every click on the page for the book makes it more likely they will keep a good supply in their warehouse and stores. If you are outside the US, you may have a separate website for these retailers. If you have a copy of any of our books, including Emil and Mariah, please leave an honest review on the websites, especially if you bought from them.


Where's my blog: If you want to follow my blog, go here and sign up to follow.

What's on my needles: Still the Kultaimnen käki, but not much progress, just a few rows of ribbing, and the EmPower People Kerchief (hibernating).

What's on my loom: I really hope to warp for placemats soon!

What's on my sewing machine: Also plan to start working on some quilts.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: Dipping into Art...Again, a rerun from 2018. Jolena and Veronika do some finger painting and have a look at what art is.




What's on my iPad/iPhone: Didn't get a chance to listen to White Silence this week.

What's in my wine glass: Bordeaux Supérieur 2019 from Kirkland, Grand Vin de Bordeaux. Not bad.

What's my tip of the week: If a recipe calls for lemon juice, you can substitute lime juice. If you don't have lime juice, you can substitute orange juice, but it isn't as acidic. I used half orange and half white vinegar in a recipe that called for 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, and it worked fine. However, if the lemon is a major ingredient, this won't work.

Where are my books: The stories in each book first appeared in the blog and they are reproduced with a few changes. 
Classic Tales Retold: Stories from The Doll's Storybook is available from BookBabyBookshop and other booksellers worldwide. The stories are Little Green GreatcoatThe Boy Doll Who Cried Wolf and Lost in the Woods.
Emil: Stories from The Doll's Storybook and Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook are also still available from booksellers. The link for Book Baby is hereThe three stories in Emil are Best BudsGetting What You Want, and The Boys Cook Dinner.
The three stories in Mariah are Being LittleBesties, and Distraction.
If you don't get free shipping from Amazon or B&N, buy from the BookBabyBookshop, because 50% of the price goes to St. Jude. Other booksellers pay much less. 



Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

<a class="blsdk-follow" href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/highfiber-7365001" target="_blank" data-blsdk-type="button" data-blsdk-counter="false">Follow</a><script>(function(d, s, id) {var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if (d.getElementById(id)) return;js = d.createElement(s);js.id = id;js.src = "https://www.bloglovin.com/widget/js/loader.js?v=1";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, "script", "bloglovin-sdk"))</script>

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7365001/?claim=kkvctsdtf4n">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a> 

No comments:

Post a Comment