Monday, November 14, 2022

Finishing Things

Now that the election is over, I should have a bit of time to get back to my fiber activities. I've already finished the phone tote for our veterinarian's mother. 


You may remember, I had to get measurements of her phone before I could finish it, because the lining won't stretch. Here's where I was when I had finished the knitting and fulling (felting). I found the iron-on patch actually adhered to the wool quite well. I tried sewing it on by hand, but I couldn't get the needle through the thick adhesive on the back. The patch came from Patch Collection. The pattern for the tote is my iPhone Pouch, free on Ravelry. Here's where I was before sewing in the lining.


Here's a look at the lining. I sewed it down by hand, going around once, then back the other way sewing it down a second time. I don't want her to have to do any repair on it. (The lining in my navy blue one came undone a little bit and needed repair.)


I've been meaning up update the front porch remodel in my blog. We couldn't walk on it for a couple of days. Then we had stuff in front of it, and then it snowed, leaving behind an icy sidewalk, but I finally got a photo of the new porch. Just to remind you, here's what the house looked like when we bought it. 



Then we painted the house, but not the front porch, which needed to be rebuilt. It was a big improvement, though.



The next thing was the new roof, which we appreciated over the summer, because we needed to use the AC, not wanting to open the windows at night because of the smoke from the wildfires. The new roof keeps the house comfortable, and we're finding we aren't using as much electricity and gas to cool and heat it. We had vents put in when we replaced the roof. After that, we ripped out the poor, old bushes in front of the living room windows. As you can see from the photo above, they only had leaves on the part that extended in front of the windows, leaving the stalks bare. We put in some hydrangeas, which are still quite small, but they will grow. The front steps have now been rebuilt on a new foundation. The rails were replaced with a new shape––one that's easier to grasp when you're going up or down, and there are new square-shaped finials replacing the balls that were there before, and all of them match. Finally, the steps and floor were stained sort of a redwood color, using a stain that causes moisture to bead up, rather than sink in, and the painted part of the steps and rails, and the latticework were all painted the same iron black as the trim on the house.


The closet remodel continues. the cedar paneling is now finished on both sides and partway up the back. We're thinking of using the adjustable shelving strips and brackets, like this.

Here's a look at the progress as of Sunday night.


The new boards are a different size from the old ones we carted around for 36 years, but Charlie used the old ones on the sides and the new ones on the back. None of this will show much when the shelves are up, but I still think it looks pretty, and it smells delicious. (I think he's having fun with it, too.)

Zachary has recovered from the flu bug he had. Here he is, all ready to play chess...with someone. This was grandpa's chess set, purchased in Mexico in the 1960s, a special Christmas gift for the grandson last year.


After a big weekend performing onstage with La Crosse Ballet, Daphne and her friends took part in a dance competition.


My books continue to sell a few at a time. St. Jude was sent a check for $71 and change. It isn't much, but they say every little bit does a lot of good. I'm hoping that over time, it will add up.

I'll be cleaning house this week to get ready for the Oregon grand kids, who will be coming sometime the end of this week or the beginning of next, depending on the weather.

Rocky is still hanging in there. He had the stitches out this week and got some immunizations he will need when he goes back to the groomer next week. He has been sleeping well at night, since we started giving him the vetprofen and gabapentin at bedtime.

If you have a few minutes and are willing, please go to Amazon and B&N and search for "Classic Tales Retold: Stories from The Doll's Storybook by Peggy Stuart" in Children's. Every click on the page for the book makes it more likely they will keep a good supply in their warehouse and stores. If you are outside the US, you may have a separate website for these retailers. If you have a copy of our other books, Emil and Mariah, please leave an honest review on the websites, especially if you bought from them.


Where's my blog: If you want to follow my blog, go here and sign up to follow.

What's on my needles: Still the Hinterland Pullover (some more progress made) and the EmPower People Kerchief (hibernating).

What's on my loom: Dust, but I still plan to make some placemats.

What's on my sewing machine: Still ready for back of T-shirt quilt.

What's in my hoop: Whole Cloth quilt, still no progress..

What's in The Doll's Storybook: In It Snowed! Pauly finds out all the fun things you can do in the snow.




What's on my iPad/iPhone: Still listening to Plan for the Worst by Jodi Taylor, not very far yet, but I plan to listen while I clean house this week.

What's in my wine glass: MERF Cabernet Sauvignon from "The distinct wines of David Merfeld," Columbia Valley, 2017. Pretty good!

What's my tip of the week: Housework is often boring, so I find it a good time to listen to my audiobooks. Put on some comfortable shoes, and off we go!

Where are my books: The stories in each book first appeared in the blog and they are reproduced with a few changes. 
Classic Tales Retold: Stories from The Doll's Storybook is available from BookBabyBookshop and other booksellers worldwide. The stories are Little Green GreatcoatThe Boy Doll Who Cried Wolf and Lost in the Woods.
Emil: Stories from The Doll's Storybook and Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook are also still available from booksellers world wide. The link for Book Baby is hereThe three stories in Emil are Best BudsGetting What You Want, and The Boys Cook Dinner.
The three stories in Mariah are Being LittleBesties, and Distraction.
If you don't get free shipping from Amazon or B&N, buy from the BookBabyBookshop, because 50% of the price goes to St. Jude. Other booksellers pay much less. 



Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

<a class="blsdk-follow" href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/highfiber-7365001" target="_blank" data-blsdk-type="button" data-blsdk-counter="false">Follow</a><script>(function(d, s, id) {var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if (d.getElementById(id)) return;js = d.createElement(s);js.id = id;js.src = "https://www.bloglovin.com/widget/js/loader.js?v=1";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, "script", "bloglovin-sdk"))</script>

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7365001/?claim=kkvctsdtf4n">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a> 

No comments:

Post a Comment